Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My widebody 98 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 08:22 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good start. Jus get back to the original. Those GTR wheels actually look good.
Old 02-01-14, 08:28 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I dont think thats a crazy price at all. For a mint car with 78k miles $10.5K is very reasonable imo. I paid $9500 for my old '99 with 95k on it. Biggest selling point for me was that the maintenace was kept up to date and it was in better shape than my '99 now with 80k (and if I was to sell it I'd be asking a bit more than $10k as well).
If you buy a high mileage SC for $2k and hope that a rebuilt engine is the cure to all your problems then you're kidding yourself. You'll be spending another $5k trying to replace all the worn leather, bushings, suspension, etc etc (list goes on). All you'll have then is a nice $10k car with high mileage.
There's a lot to be said for a well kept low mileage car
I mostly agree with you except, the $5k spent on replacing worn out things. That $5k in parts would be aftermarket seats, bushings, coils etc etc. So it wouldn't really be fair to compare them to a bone stock "clean" car that still has less traveled, 15 year old OEM parts. If you're going to do suspension and engine upgrades anyway, mileage is LITERALLY a number, placing a timeline on where your car has been, nothing else... I'm at 249k on a 92' with ZERO rust and every button working, even the cd changer.. The only thing saying my car is old and used is the odometer and a burnt out needle.. Miles, shmiles...

Last edited by Kris9884; 02-01-14 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 09:18 AM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice man. Even climate control?
Old 02-02-14, 10:15 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why does everyone complain about someone buying a SC for a high price? that car is worth every dollar he paid. we all think these cars should be worth more esp in good condition. he is a enthusiast and he, like others, would pay a higher price for something thats ideal to his taste.
Old 02-02-14, 11:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
why does everyone complain about someone buying a SC for a high price? that car is worth every dollar he paid. we all think these cars should be worth more esp in good condition. he is a enthusiast and he, like others, would pay a higher price for something thats ideal to his taste.
I agree. They also missed the part that he paid that back in 2012. Sure, the price for these cars wasn't a whole lot higher a year ago, but still worth noting.
Old 02-02-14, 01:14 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I think it looks great!

When I first started reading I thought you were nuts even thinking about putting a widebody on such a clean and low mile SC. The end result looks awesome though.

Are those GTR wheels?

Only thing I would change immediately are the eBay headlights and taillights and replace them with clean factory ones.
Thanks! The widebody was put on because i hit a guardrail in the rain about four or five months ago. damaged the right side of the car and the rear quarter panel and rim took most of the hit. i was going about 35 in the rain and took a banked right turn youre supposed to slow down to 20 for. spun all the way around and hit the outside rail with the right side. i had 235's on 10.5 rims so i had quite a bit of stretch at the time, probably didnt help.
Yep, GTR wheels.

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ what he said. Why put so much work into a car then slap on some cheap lights? Get rid of those and you'll have a nice rare widebody vvt-i 400!
The headlights were originally bought for the lenses to swap the stock lights back into. the tails i knew would get a bunch of hate but i hadnt seen them on a widebody before. honestly i dont think they look bad, the stock lights just look better. ill be swapping over to all stock lights sometime this week.

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
^X3

Then its perfect!
thanks

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
If you've been lurking, have you not noticed the distain for Ebay crap lights by basically everyone on the SC forum??

Your build would be amazing with the factory taillights swapped back in, and some clean factory headlights. It completely CHEAPENS the whole build by using Ebay circle taillights and headlights... It screams knock-off, and secretly you have many people who are snickering at those ricer junk lights. Don't mean to be rude at all, but telling you like it is, because you need to know-- and the rest of your exterior looks GREAT! Even the GT-R rims fit nicely enough!

Step into 2014 by changing your lights back to some legitimate originals. The car Gods will smile down upon you.

*Side note, you could leave the high beam projectors and it'd be ok by most peoples "standards"- (and you wouldn't have to remove the bumper(- but then please swap the clear lenses from those Ebay low beam housings you already have onto the factory inner lights which I hope you still have stored away, so it'll match and look 10x better. (*and make sure you seal them well if you do this.) But the tails especially... are ruining everything.

I'm rooting for you.

*Also, it'd look nice with some JDM bump clear corner lights.
I have noticed, but i figured id go for it anyway. rookie move i know. Thank you for telling me how it is by the way, id rather hear honest opinions! the clear lenses were supposed to be swapped over originally but it didnt happen. what do you mean, just clear low beam lights or the ClearCorners lights? no way im dropping that much into CC lights their pricing is ridiculous. thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Nice start so far. Just needs much more aggressive wheels or 30mm spacers.
30 mils is too much. i got 1 inch spacers machined for the front and they are a hair too big. theyll get reworked soon.

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Any plans for the engine?
Not for now. Maybe a 6 speed swap in the somewhat near future, but im content with its current power. If this car were to get the engine built i would either turbo the 1UZ and work my way up to around 450HP or so, or swap in a GTE and go for 650HP.

for everyone i didnt reply to, thank you for the feedback. positive and negative. next portion of the story will be posted within the hour so stay tuned!
Old 02-02-14, 03:57 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

AUDIO

Next up was the audio, which was initially the main focus for the car.
Laundry List:
Jbl 660 GTI components

Dynaudio ambient tweeters

JBL 8" midbass

JBL W15GTI subwoofers

4th order bandpass enclosure ported thru deck

Audison class A amplifiers (4)

Ipad mini w/fiber output to
Audison Bit One signal processor via Pure i20

Apple Airport Express w/digital out for Airplay

Cradlepoint router w/LTE

200 amp alternator

Audison distribution with Tec-Flex shielding

Kick panels w/aperiodic vents out bottom of car

Last edited by PiXEL; 02-03-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 10:52 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PiXEL
AUDIO

Next up was the audio, which was initially the main focus for the car.
Laundry List:
Jbl 660 GTI components

Dynaudio ambient tweeters

JBL 8" midbass

JBL W15GTI subwoofers

4th order bandpass enclosure ported thru deck

Audison class A amplifiers (4)

Ipad mini w/fiber output to
Audison Bit One signal processor via Pure i20

Apple Airport Express w/digital out for Airplay

Cradlepoint router w/LTE

200 amp alternator

Audison distribution with Tec-Flex shielding

Kick panels w/aperiodic vents out bottom of car

That's a seriously awesome audio upgrade right there man. I can't begin to express how sick it is. Nice car.
Old 02-03-14, 11:12 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

WOW very nice! What would really go nice with that center console, is that new digital climate control unit. That factory style old looking eye sore needs to be updated to match that digital theme! It would go very nice with your setup!!

Just saying....
Old 02-03-14, 01:24 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
WOW very nice! What would really go nice with that center console, is that new digital climate control unit. That factory style old looking eye sore needs to be updated to match that digital theme! It would go very nice with your setup!!

Just saying....
funny you should mention that, i actually just noticed that existed 2 or 3 days ago. it looks like its still in beta testing but ill send the guy an email and see if he wants some publicity
Old 02-03-14, 01:28 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

My buddy just bought one the other day! We will see how it goes after in the install.
Old 02-03-14, 01:31 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

is it the one from popformance or a different one?
Old 02-03-14, 01:34 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

yes it was from popformance
Old 02-03-14, 02:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That Ipad setup in the dash is the sickest thing I have ever seen installed in an SC... FITS PERFECT!
Old 02-03-14, 03:54 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That Ipad setup in the dash is the sickest thing I have ever seen installed in an SC... FITS PERFECT!
Thanks if i didnt mention it before the audio work was done by Rick Paul at CarTunes in South Houston.

Quick Reply: My widebody 98 SC400