Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Bahndrvr's Build Thread - 92 SC300 1JZ-GTE VVTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 09:35 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Bahndrvr,

I found a good thread on a JZX100 forum specifically about the Tomei ARMS turbo upgrade kit and cams. They seem to like it more than high flowing the factory CT15B. It's a 47-page long thread so far. Worth a look.

http://www.jzx100.com/forum/topic/11...t/page__st__80
Old 04-16-13, 01:43 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome man - off to read then

I'm back now and have been busy as crap catching up but may get to work on the car tonight - May get to LOL.
Old 04-16-13, 02:16 PM
KahnBB6

Ha! I hear you. Do you ever or are you planning to take that thing out to any meets or shows? I have been trying to find out if Brevard Motorsports still does their weekly thing here. Other than the Chrysle/Plymouth guys there hasn't been much here since the weekly car meets off Babcock in the old Mongomery Ward's (now Harris Health) parking lot dried up years ago.

Regarding the thread, my take is that it's probably better to use any of the aftermarket turbos unless it's staying mostly stock/BPU. If you look at the size of the impellers between the CT15B, M8280 and even the HKS model someone posted you can see it's just more flow to work with out of the box. There is probably still a good case for high flowing the stock turbo but I think many people want more power than that offers. Some people may want an OEM appearance, too, if that matters to them or they need it.
Old 04-16-13, 02:24 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

you will get more bang for your buck if you piece together your own turbo kit rather than spending the amount you would on the tomei arms kit
Old 04-16-13, 08:15 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
you will get more bang for your buck if you piece together your own turbo kit rather than spending the amount you would on the tomei arms kit
Sort of true, the stopper here is there aren't even really knockoff VVTI manifolds right now - so it limits the turbo selection, and I honestly plan on doing HeadGasket and bots at the same time and I have a very good hookup on Nitrous, so 10's should be a possibility and I have alot of experience on the drag strip, but I ultiimaly want to rule on King of the Hill events, still rock and have fun at Autocross and then be able to hit the spray and suprise some big money cars when I hit up sebring and or some late night fun times;-)

As for the question about meets, man I'm a single dad with 2 kids, so when i can i will hit up the 5Gusy show occasionally on that Thursday - but other than that, TRACK TIME is where you will find me.

I can't wait to get this ****er road worthy and tagged then you will see massive increases to the mods or at least the little thigns getting dialed in which are time consuming and killing me.

I can't stand it being Auto, that 16 degree timing cut hits HARD when in boost.

Orlando Speed World and the new ownership has taken that track back to contention, great grip now and better staff - also WAY more events coming this year and he's opening up for Drift events at the circle track constantly now as well with a changeable configuration....

Big issue now is my woman will be moving in soon, so most of my spare time is getting hte house setup and cleaned up for that, but once she is moved in I will actually hvae more time for tinkering and modding;-)

I have actually decided I will go with Regular R154 setup now and just weld the extension on the shifter - as I do alot of welding anyway messing around and I'm going to stop searching for the soarer setup at least for now
Old 04-17-13, 09:20 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bahndrvr
Sort of true, the stopper here is there aren't even really knockoff VVTI manifolds right now
your right, unfortunately they dont make much manifolds. this was the only one i found...and they dont even post the price so that makes me assume its expensive as hell. i guess it all depends for how much power you want, spool time, etc etc

http://www.sincocustoms.co.nz/produc...20V%20T%20I/25
Old 04-17-13, 01:07 PM
sc300build
Driver School Candidate

Are your rims xxr527s? What offset is the rear and front?
Old 04-19-13, 06:41 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300build
Are your rims xxr527s? What offset is the rear and front?

Yeap that's them in Chromium Black - look way better in Person than in the pic's.

Not certain on the backspacing but they are 8.75 in fronts and 9.75 in the rear.

I guess I don't know, the rears had drag radials on them in the rear and the fronts were in the box, but got tires mounted and tossed the boxes.

Sorry.
Old 04-19-13, 04:05 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Damn man - falling in love with the spool sound and power capability of the S366...

Found a few mainfolds now that i'm looking as well.

I guess realizing that I'm going to have to go big on the EMS is opening up some doors for me and I'm going with R154 so that should help with the strenght issues, I will drive hard enough that I don't mind the down low, this is a track toy, Drag Racing, Autocross, Drifting, and Road Courses - so lack of torque shouldn't hurt, power figure is moving up a bit now...
Old 04-19-13, 06:22 PM
KahnBB6

I'm curious, what power figure are you planning on now? Anything over 500whp?
Old 04-20-13, 09:05 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'm curious, what power figure are you planning on now? Anything over 500whp?
My last Stang - still in the driveway actually but all back to stock - was 515rwhp on Water Meth - I would like to beat that and the stang was Linear boost from Vortech - I want the Punch and noise from Hard boost hitting you know - so anything over 500 I will be happy with in the end, but I know it will take a me a while and some money to get there, so will start forming a build sheet and what I need to get there.

Car already has Water meth on it - that's how it went 12.73 at 16psi on the stock turbo - but it's not hooked up right now. I'm thinking now though 20-24psi and all the supporting mods for it to include cams and fuel system. The single Walbro should do pretty good for a while, but need alot of other items.

Once I get it dialed in and driving it more we will see, but I would like it to get pretty deep in the 11's on the strip and be a hand full on the tracks;-)

I also started thinking about taking that extra chunk I have from the SC400 and Plate welding the rear Diff as I think that would help at the 1/4...
Old 04-20-13, 09:51 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bahndrvr
My last Stang - still in the driveway actually but all back to stock - was 515rwhp on Water Meth - I would like to beat that and the stang was Linear boost from Vortech - I want the Punch and noise from Hard boost hitting you know - so anything over 500 I will be happy with in the end, but I know it will take a me a while and some money to get there, so will start forming a build sheet and what I need to get there.

Car already has Water meth on it - that's how it went 12.73 at 16psi on the stock turbo - but it's not hooked up right now. I'm thinking now though 20-24psi and all the supporting mods for it to include cams and fuel system. The single Walbro should do pretty good for a while, but need alot of other items.

Once I get it dialed in and driving it more we will see, but I would like it to get pretty deep in the 11's on the strip and be a hand full on the tracks;-)

I also started thinking about taking that extra chunk I have from the SC400 and Plate welding the rear Diff as I think that would help at the 1/4...
Pretty good goal figures, being 11's. What power level do you think that Walbro is decent for? As I'm acquiring support parts for my swap my plan is to just get stock working and stable at first and I figured an OEM Denso TT pump would be the best thing until later on but maybe I should just get one like yours and save myself trouble later.

I may have asked before but your car has an open 3.92 diff, right? I'm not a fan of welding but you may want to look into a 4.08 rear to help you there as well. Do you feel like the gearing is helping or hurting you at this point? I have a 4.27 in my car right now which I hope works for my swap on BPU power but I have a 4.08 to swap back to in case it's too much gearing. I'd have to get my LSD re-shimmed though. Have you thought about using a Kaaz or TRD 2-way?
Old 04-20-13, 09:32 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

I actually don't know the rear gear that I have I just have the stock rear in there now and I have a stock 400 rear as well. Was considering the 400 rear and welding the rear diff - I will do a good LSD when I pick out my final drive ratio that I want, I can tell you with the power and boost that i'm going to go for, it will not be in the 4.xx range, so I don't mind welding that chunk and using it while still on teh stock turbo and even later until i do the R154, I just want easier flickability on the rear and better traction for out of the hole at the strip for now

I will look into the Kaaz and 2 way for the future setup, i'm honestly thinking I will be going with like the 3.26's when it's all said and done, but that's way down the list on required/desired parts you know?
Old 04-22-13, 01:20 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Well

S366 is awesome but I just found out I get a DEEP discount at Enjuku racing from some damn good connections i have

Lets just say the Tomei setup is cheaper for me new than doing the S366, mani, and necessary items by quite a bit. Can't do it yet but I may do the Tomei before the R154 swap now, and I will definately be getting a body kit from there probably before everything else

I can get the VIS Speed kit which is not too over the top for me and a definite improvment over the looks of the car for around the same cost as a Stock replacment front bumper - Delivered to my house;-) I have some good leads on my suburban selling and once it goes i will sneak the funds for the kit to pick it up.

So it's not going to be a Kick **** kit but it will be 1000% better than what I have right now;-)

Pretty stoked that my older connnections worked out - Enjuku is around an hour from my house and I get wholesale price so pretty stoked and this will speed up my build a bit I think
Old 04-23-13, 07:52 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Picked up a few t-clamps and a silicone T to put the SSQV in right by the throttle body, found out its best to leave the stock stuff in place and just disconnect it instead of deleting it with a plate so this is easiest and I can do it in a few minutes when the stuff all comes in

Going to try to tag it and start driving it as soon as Thursday depends on how things go tonight with lights and front bumper

Quick Reply: Bahndrvr's Build Thread - 92 SC300 1JZ-GTE VVTI