Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 06:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for that info which would be useful for many . As an addition , on my 1997 SC300 5speed , I have a clutch master fx400 pressure plate and clutch. Some guys with 600rwhp like DaveH have used it . I will leave the outside link since it wasn't really meant for you to push and sell a product . It is more to inform and be a useful info for members. It is case to case basis where we take out links. Ebay / Craigslist links are usually what we take out .

Yes , Jim , I still have two 1997 SC300 original 5 speed ... that running black one and one project car whose transmission and trans are out since it needs body work / painting too having been in an accident before I bought it as seen somewhere on this thread. Aside from the 4 SCs you see above , I still have two in the backyard of my place up Atlanta and one of them is the 1997 SC300 5 speed am restoring. I hate to see these original 5 speeds be crushed to their death in the junkyards so been saving and restoring them.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-24-19 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 02:33 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good stuff. im glad to see ur dedication to the platform still. I have been back on the Nissan side sticking a ka24de-t in an 87 2dr pathfinder. that's about to come to a head and I will be back on this side driving my sc again soon. has there been a better alternative to the cheap door cards vs using aluminum panels or having to make custom?
Old 01-24-19, 05:56 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by megamax
good stuff. im glad to see ur dedication to the platform still. I have been back on the Nissan side sticking a ka24de-t in an 87 2dr pathfinder. that's about to come to a head and I will be back on this side driving my sc again soon. has there been a better alternative to the cheap door cards vs using aluminum panels or having to make custom?
Thanks Jim , when you have 6 of them right now ... got no choice but keep working on them. They are cheap , keeps me busy and help me not get bored staying at home all the time .

What happened to your SC engine ? did it spin a bearing during the tuning ? I figure you are building a new short block now .

These might be old pictures for those forum members I talk to through text messages but posting them here ... NA-T engine installed and is ready to rock and roll. Just have to get the turbo. Initially I wanted a Precision PT-5558 CEA so I can have a very responsive 450rwhp beater . Decided instead to go with a Precision PT-6266 CEA so I can push it to 600rwhp . After all , started gathering parts for a built NA-T short block for this car that I can eventually just swap when the need arises. Going for the 6266 will give me room to grow and still be very responsive. That is the keyword for this build a "RESPONSIVE" 500rwhp beater car and not an hp queen which I have a few of those already. If a quick spool valve will fit in with the treadstone manifold then it will be a good idea to have one in here too.

Decided not to take out the current suspension that are in the car which are Tanabe NF210 lowering springs at the moment . After I have dropped the engine , I didn't think that they are bad (too low or too high still) . So I will see how it drives with this suspension and replace them with the RSR / Tokico shocks some other time together with the brake calipers too.

Meanwhile , while waiting for turbo ... been working on small things. This car is an original 1993 SC300 5 speed. It's shifter hole is way in front. Exactly the reason why the early 5 speed SC300 had a swan neck shifter . Since I am converting this car into all 2000 model , I did move the shifter hole backwards for the gated shifter so it lines up with the center console

Last edited by gerrb; 01-24-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 02:55 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Wanted to hear the engine that I put together and to make sure that the harness had been done well , decided to install the stock exhaust today and fired it up as an NA ... purred like a kitten and I was able to putt it up and down the driveway so that means my harness is good and looks to me everything is in good shape.... just need to be boosted.

Am looking for some performance parts , willing to trade the 1997 SC300 original 5 speed you see on the right with 115k miles . That is not a lot of miles for a 22 year old car and that is very rare to find. Probably not even 60 of those 120 are still on the road . Let me know what you got to offer guys ! Am not giving it away though at crackhead prices . I had this for at least 5 years and I don't mind just seeing it in my place till I get the deal I want. Got to be a fair trade or fair deal.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-29-19 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 03:28 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I’d love to take you up on that trade. All I have is some 500cc injectors. Deal?!
Old 01-24-19, 03:45 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
I’d love to take you up on that trade. All I have is some 500cc injectors. Deal?!
If you have a 1000 sets of them , come over tomorrow , bring them and drive home the 1997 SC300 5 speed

How is your car , all set and done ?
Old 01-24-19, 04:16 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
If you have a 1000 sets of them , come over tomorrow , bring them and drive home the 1997 SC300 5 speed

How is your car , all set and done ?
Not yet. It has been blisteringly cold here in DC lately, haven't had a chance to work on the car... I found that there is a pretty bad oil leak in the front of the engine so the balancer is coming back off so I can check it out. Also need to put some gear oil in the W58 before I move it off the street. Going to fill it through the shifter hole so I decided to replace the shift bushings while I'm in there. I just need a nice day to work on it... I'm sure I can get it all done in a few short hours...
Old 01-25-19, 11:08 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ remove the top camshaft and timing covers ... make sure leak is not coming also from the camshaft seals before you take out the crankshaft pulley
Old 01-25-19, 11:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For those who do not know , with the Aristo 2jzgte vvti stock ecu , you can shift up and down the transmission gear if you have wheel controls like buttons or paddles . You have to incorporate the wiring in your harness though.

I am using an IS300 steering wheel to take advantage of the UP / DOWN buttons to shift the transmission.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 12:05 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

^ Very cool.

How are you liking the treadstone manifold? I'm trying to buy the used ones in the classifieds to start stashing parts to go NA-T next winter. Did you do your own intercooler piping, or did you start with a kit?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-19, 05:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ Haven't installed the treadstone manifold yet since am still waiting for the right turbo. Got it locally for $250 since brand new they are at around $400 . I see the used ones sold and posted at around $250 online.

I always do my own inter-cooler piping setup. Once you know the exact size of pipes you are going to use , you can get a set or piping kit from ebay from which you can start with .
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 01:54 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Good to know! I think I'm going to take a similar route. I like the simplicity of that manifold and it's turbo placement.
Old 01-26-19, 02:04 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The treadstone exhaust manifold together with that stock NA intake manifold would easily support 800rwhp as proven by Lawrence . His 99 SC300 Daily Beater is documented on this forum . The stock intake manifold has longer runners which help build more torque down low where we spend most of our time driving . And most of all , it comes with the stock engine ..

That saves one from spending more money for an aftermarket intake manifold. Of course that is personal preference . In as much as I can I didn't want to spend that much in building this reliable and responsive daily beater which, once it is said and done , should easily support 600rwhp all day with the stock non vvti internals and other bolt-on like the PT-6266 turbo. If you are not after more than 420rwhp , you can also just stay with the stock ECU .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 07:10 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
The treadstone exhaust manifold together with that stock NA intake manifold would easily support 800rwhp as proven by Lawrence . His 99 SC300 Daily Beater is documented on this forum . The stock intake manifold has longer runners which help build more torque down low where we spend most of our time driving . And most of all , it comes with the stock engine ..

That saves one from spending more money for an aftermarket intake manifold. Of course that is personal preference . In as much as I can I didn't want to spend that much in building this reliable and responsive daily beater which, once it is said and done , should easily support 600rwhp all day with the stock non vvti internals and other bolt-on like the PT-6266 turbo. If you are not after more than 420rwhp , you can also just stay with the stock ECU .
My plan would be to utilize the stock intake manifold for the exact reasons you have described! I like the placement and simplicity of that treadstone manifold so if I go through with all of this that's the route I'd like to take. I'm not sure of my HP goal, but 400-450whp sounds like a safe and fun street beater. What you do mean I can stick with my stock ECU? Wouldn't I at least need to look into a TT modded unit or something of the like?

Thank you sir - I appreciate the input!
Old 01-29-19, 05:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'm not sure of my HP goal, but 400-450whp sounds like a safe and fun street beater. What you do mean I can stick with my stock ECU? Wouldn't I at least need to look into a TT modded unit or something of the like?
The stock JDM 2jzgte ECU (whether it is VVTi or non VTTi) supports high impedance injectors. 440 cc injectors which means at 100% injector duty that is around 440rwhp at the base fuel pressure of 43.5psi . If you raise up the base fuel pressure that means you can go a bit higher that 440rwhp . I am usually stick with the base fuel pressure and always wanted a buffer meaning do not maximize injector duty so getting lean wouldn't be much an issue. You don't want to get lean while boosting . KABOOM will be what your engine will get into if you get lean .

Exactly the reason I said with the stock ECU , you can easily be at 420rwhp which is less than 100% injector duty for the 440cc injectors at 43.5 base fuel pressure. With that power level , you don't need any piggy back ... just plain stock ECU. The most is you might want to defeat the speed limit and boost limit if you want to get into that 420rwhp for which there are ways / small gadgets you can use.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys