My ´97 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 01:40 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

hello!

long time ago my last update to my SC

The HKS coilovers installed, the NurSpecs installed. The car drives much better as with the Bilstein/Eibach suspension. no noise from the uniball mounts more.

The sound of the NurSpecs are great! But the need some mods to fit perfect. the driver side pipe was longer and the hooks need a little bit adjustment. i build 2 silencers to legalice the mufflers here. it was fine, but very very quiet with this and stock midpipe

i rebuild my W58 with new bearings, but in the next spring, i change the 5th gear and mybe the 3rd. i have by decelaration a mumble from the gears. but with the new main bearings, the box shifts better and runs smooth and stable. but not 100% perfect for me.

new hub center rings from alloy, no plastic more, feels better and fits perfect now.

fuel filter changed, original Toyota, the aftermarket have not the full thread!

i had long time not this fun with my car as now. I hope in the next weeks, the Fujinlip arrives to me and i can paint it in the winter with the front bumper.

the blueprint disc is ok, but is not strong enough for the UZ. the will i change also next year to a organics from ACT.

The propeller shaft had one u-joint with little problem. here in europe, we can not buy new u-joints for the propeller shaft! i used the u-joint form my like new automatic shaft with only 20.000miles. now is this like new!

The T56 throwout bearing becomes a new modified adapter in stainless steel. i hope this was the last modification and its now without any probs in the future. no leaks more!

Last edited by Boergy; 09-28-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 01:44 PM
Boergy
Advanced

sorry the pictures not sorted

Last edited by Boergy; 09-28-19 at 01:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KiroLS (12-20-20)
Old 01-21-22, 03:45 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Hello!

long time no update to my car. with the covid here in europe, the are no car meetings or something

But i had time to do some upgrades on my car

First, the rebuild gearbox (bearings changed) had not the desired sucess. 3. and 5.gear are better, but not all gone. i bought a new 3. and 5. gear and the counter gear, but till today, i had no time to install this parts. Also a new clutch disc is on stock. its a ACT stage 2 organic disc.

My KBD Lip is over 9 months arrived and waiting to install

My powersteering begins to whining. i changed the rebuild kit, changed the high pressure lines, cleaned the filter on the rack, changed the A8 cooler to the installed Supra transmission cooler. it was a little bit better, but the whining like a supercharger is not gone. Now i run ATV-IV without any issues. But the whining is not 100% gone. it was the alternator, but to this more later. here many pictures from cleaning and all done work.

KahnBB6 (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 04:05 PM
Boergy
Advanced

more pictures...

After several times change the oil, vent the system, i gave up to to more. the steering runs fine, but sounds like a small supercharger.

Time for the yearly technical inspection.. all 100% fine!

small upgrade in the engine bay. dust caps for the HKS coilover.

*** shot

Next step was to install the greddy informeter with the external sensors for oil temp, oil pressure and boost. The AEM wideband gauge is installed, but i need time to remove the catalytic to weld the nut in the housing. A Kendwood DMX125 looks great in the car. the color of the buttons changed from blue to white.

The following 2 users liked this post by Boergy:
GUARD1AN (01-21-22), KahnBB6 (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 04:11 PM
Boergy
Advanced

The sensors installed in the oil filter bracket. The thread size is M16x1,5. the thread size of the greddy sensors is 1/8" PT! i bought a tap from china, no one in europe had this on stock. The informeter is cool looks great instead analog gauges. not the cheapest solution, but 90s sytle

The following 2 users liked this post by Boergy:
GUARD1AN (01-21-22), KahnBB6 (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 04:29 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Next upgrade was the shift **** from carbon to leather. A shop on ebay from polska build great ***** with real leather and different shift pattern sticker. i have a original trd shortshifter and choose the TRD sticker. after some pm´s on ebay, the build my version of this ****. shorter, different size on the bottom, countersunk version. a great piece of work.

time to change the brakestuff on the rear. The front on my car is a combination from MTEC slotted discs and Stoptech Race pads. Now, the rear become also MTEC slotted discs and Stoptech Street pads. The first trips with the new brake parts feels good. the rear brakes have now more power as before. And i installed a limiter on the coilovers to save the shocks in extrem situations. Later, i installed this also on the front coilovers to have no probems to come too low and touch the fender.

last ride in the autumn

KahnBB6 (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 04:37 PM
GUARD1AN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Boergy love seeing these updates, such an amazing car sir
Boergy (02-07-23)
Old 01-21-22, 04:49 PM
Boergy
Advanced

I changed the front discs some weeks later to the MTEC discs. The alternator from rockauto was easy to change. now, the whining is gone!!! on my last rides, i had seen on my greddy informeter, the voltages drops to 12V! this was a hint! and the was right. new alternator, 13,8-14,2V all the time and no whining noise more. i´m happy. But the alternator is only 27800 miles old, but 2-3 batteries died in this time.

for a test, i installed a KEIN transmission mount with poly bushings to have a stiffer drivetrain. but after the first start, no, the noise from the gearbox and exhaust is not good. i drove the car only few meters, then i changed back to the original mount. For a track/racecar a very good option. You can find the brackets on ebay and facebook. nice guy and great build parts.

For a short time, i had a stupid idea and bought a new Paxton 1000 Supercharger for the 4,6L V8 engines for a great price. But after all fishbracket-threads and looking in my clean engine bay, i sold the the charger, i think, the better solution is to go turbo maybe sometimes.

The last upgrade last year was a black wood facelift steering wheel from a aristo. i have no idea what for edition this car was, but no original part, maybe a Vertex Edtion. I found this on ebay.com and bought it from russia. the wheel is in great condition for over 20 years. next step is to paint the black matt foiling wood interior parts to black gloss

update done on my thread. many things to do 2022
KahnBB6 (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 12:37 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Tom, your car is looking so good and exceptionally clean!!

I love the handsfree microphone install that you demonstrated. I have a small aftermarket switch in that spot on my car but I think you just inspired me to see if my handsfree mic will also fit near there with enough space. That's a really great idea!

The Aristo steering wheel and TRD shifter look really good in there!

Your SC is getting so many great updates right now!
Old 02-25-22, 12:17 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Thank you KahnBB6!

i waiting of my hydraulic lift to fit the KBD front lip.

Last week was a nice day in austria, cold but sunny, 2 days before rain and wind. perfect cleaned roads for a short ride.

greets

Tom
The following 3 users liked this post by Boergy:
Barbary (02-07-23), KahnBB6 (02-25-22), SC_coupe (02-25-22)
Old 02-25-22, 01:28 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Tom, if you were local, I'd be trying to trade you for this car. I love my GTE swap, however, this to me is the epitome of the perfect SC!

Absolutely love it and hope you enjoy it too!
Old 01-13-23, 08:45 PM
Boergy
Advanced

hello,

time for a update. i had several times vibrations in the 3rd and 5th gear, i decided to rebuild my gearbox. New 3rd and 5th gear and the gear (2nd transmission shaft). in this course, i will install and modify some things.

Install the spacer in the back of the flywheel (forgotten respectively no informations from the manufacturer), AEM wideband sensor in the right catalytic, ACT stage 2 clutch disc,....

start to remove the box...

not much space between the starter gear and the flywheel, but no problems all the years.

flywheel remove

no oil from the rear sealing, great!

i measured the position of the pilot bearing, and i found out, the bearing is too deep in the crankshaft. the input shaft was not supported! maybe this my problems in the 3rd and 5th gear?

the input shaft is 7mm inside from the outer edge from the bellhouse, then 3mm to the position of the bearing and 10mm for the bearing. The crankshaft but is just 19mm inside from the edge. And the bearing was 12mm deep in the crank. not good. time for a solution.

The next step was to remove the right catalytic to install the AEM wideband sensor. a friend welded the bung in the correct angle to have enough space between the (deactivated) EGR pipe and the drain pipe from the A/C.

KahnBB6 (01-14-23)
Old 01-13-23, 08:51 PM
Boergy
Advanced

The flywheel becomes the spacer in the back, new bolts with screw lock from liqui moly.

New ACT stage 2 disc with the SPEC HD pressure plate and also new bolts with screw lock. The new pilot bearing is a 12x32x14 and a 11mm spacer in the crankshaft. now 21mm and 2mm outside from the crank, i think perfect.

KahnBB6 (01-14-23)
Old 01-14-23, 12:30 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Tom-- Good to see what you're up to lately! And good thing catching the shortness issue with your input shaft and pilot bearing!

I hope you will find your transmission rebuild to be a normal process in light of that discovery. The clutch upgrade and flywheel spacer look good!

Also, aside-- there's a way you have mounted a small GPS or other type screen in your SC very close to the instrument cluster left of the center A/C vents in the image I'm linking below from one of your earlier posts.

Did you purchase some off the shelf kit to make that work or did you custom design a bracket? And is your mount in that location compatible with a standard VSM style fitting?
Old 01-14-23, 12:10 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Hello Kahn!

I used for my Greddy Informeter a mobile phone magnetic mount. i modifiy the clip for the vents to fit in the small space between the vertical baffles(?) i hope you anderstand what i mean. only problem an bad roads is, the display swing a little bit up and down with the vent.

what is a VSM style fitting?
KahnBB6 (01-16-23)

Quick Reply: My ´97 SC400