Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My ´97 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 11:14 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Boergy
early in january bought i a used HKS hipermax 2 coilover set for the supra, low miles, good conditions. But the preowner had maybe no correct tool to adjust the nuts 3 of 4 opened without problems, one need more love and heat but the thread and the nut ok, it was only dirt in the thread. in the spring, if i find some specs for my expert, i will install the coilovers, set correct and legalice with the seats

I have the same coilovers on my car right now. What specs did you need to know?

For the collars and threaded portions use a lubricant and a wire brush to clean everything, then swap the collars with a different coil and run them up and down to clean and straighten the threads. I had to do that to mine when I first got them and no problems since.
Old 03-12-18, 01:26 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

hi Blkexcoupe!

i need the technical specs ( spring rates, spring size, car type with part number,.... spring part numbers from the manual if this are in the part list. I called today my expert, he says, i need a official inspection report from the TÜV or Dekra or is it a long way to give a OK for this coilovers. here in western europe, you need special in austria/germany/swiss seperate reports for each part for your car or a very good expert with many experience with import parts. and this is expensive. for a standard report to legalize, for example, wheels and coilovers, pay you good 4-500 euros and then in the inspection authority again 1-200 euros for this to have all new parts in your documents. not easy, but i have maybe 2 other experts in a other province in austria to become a report for my installed parts. i sent HKS europe and 2 import companys e-mails to become the specs, but no answer. its very difficult to become something from HKS on informations for parts if i have no chance to legalize the coilovers with not too much money, i will sell it.

last weekend i tested my bride brackets with the Sparco seats in my SC, i seat good 5cm lower, feels good! next step is to upholster original color leather and install seat heaters.

greets

Tom
Old 03-12-18, 08:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Boergy
hi Blkexcoupe!

i need the technical specs ( spring rates, spring size, car type with part number,.... spring part numbers from the manual if this are in the part list. I called today my expert, he says, i need a official inspection report from the TÜV or Dekra or is it a long way to give a OK for this coilovers. here in western europe, you need special in austria/germany/swiss seperate reports for each part for your car or a very good expert with many experience with import parts. and this is expensive. for a standard report to legalize, for example, wheels and coilovers, pay you good 4-500 euros and then in the inspection authority again 1-200 euros for this to have all new parts in your documents. not easy, but i have maybe 2 other experts in a other province in austria to become a report for my installed parts. i sent HKS europe and 2 import companys e-mails to become the specs, but no answer. its very difficult to become something from HKS on informations for parts if i have no chance to legalize the coilovers with not too much money, i will sell it.
Toyota Supra JZA80 1760-ST001. The fronts are 14kg and rears are 8kg. It's difficult to find information on old discontinued parts. Hopefully you'll be able to get them legalized at an affordable amount.

We don't have an equivalent to TÜV certification over here in the USA, so a lot of lower quality parts exist in the market.
Old 03-28-18, 07:49 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hi!

Its not easy to legalize, maybe a friend in germany buy the coilovers for his SC400, in germany is this cheaper.

today, my XAT/Suprastore flywheel comes back from the shop. 9 gramm was the unbalance of the flywheel. He says, this is much, but now is it balanced of 0,6 gramm. But i don´t understand why the sell this fw without to balance
Old 12-04-18, 11:51 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hy!

the 5kg flywheel is rebalanced and installed, now revs the UZ very quickly and runs much more agile as before. Best uprgade after the mt swap.

2 of 8 from the flywheel bolts are with oil! not good. all cleaned and now again with enough loctite installed.

I had vibrations, one oth this was the unbalanced 9kg flywheel from bolt-perfomance. the shop rebalanced also this flywheel and it had over 10gramm! not good. The killed my like new Spec Stage 3+ clutch. one side from the disc was loose and hold only on the rivets. After maybe 1500miles. The pilot bearing was also bad, i changed it to a original bearing from Toyota. The other one was from the swap kit.

here a Video from my Spec disc. Spec says, i have no warranty more, only 90 days.... now i use a blueprint disc, the fits in many Toyotas and Lexus Cars. Also the Celica T20 GT4. I think is strong enough for a stock 1UZ with a Stage 5 pressure plate

I changed also the front and rear seal from my gearbox. checked the gearbox inside, cleaned the gears, looks all good. new gaskets, new seals, new oil.

Last edited by Boergy; 12-04-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 12:09 PM
Boergy
Advanced

I changed also my adapter on the T56 throwout bearing and welded the holes from the pin. now i think, im 100% save and have no pressure lost more.

after this mods, i drove my SC near 1500km without any issues. But little vibrations after 2h driving comes back :/ i think this are the bearing from the 2nd sgaft for the gears 1-3-5. 3 and 5 makes noise, 3 more vibrations, 5 more grumble. 4 is no problem. At first i change in the spring the oil to Redline MT-90 oil. Maybe its help for a short time. but i think, i need a rebuild from my gearbox. The have now over 100.000miles, from this good 90.000miles in a NA Supra

I changed my upholstered IS200 steering wheelto a GS300 gen.2 wheel, new leather, i like it very much, feels now more Lexus again. i installed my original SC Cruise Control switch and welded from my Airbag Adapter the correct plug on the wired from the car. For the adapter is no space in back of the airbag.

Now is my SC in the winter sleep. But the next upgrade is arrived. a set of new Blitz Nür Spec muffler from japan

greets

Boergy
Old 12-04-18, 01:42 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Car looks great - nice progress so far! After owning a 400 and 300, I wish I had my white SC4 back to manual swap it. I love the 2jzge, however, those 1uz's just sing so sweetly!
Old 12-05-18, 08:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That is a thorough going through on your gearbox and clutch! Love what you've done with your 400!
Old 12-14-18, 11:50 AM
Boergy
Advanced

The manual swap was the best what i have done on this car. Its maybe not much faster as before, but driving makes now more fun. The SC is not my daily, only for summer.

This week comes the new gearbox oil from Redline. The MT-90. Maybe helps this a little bit to reduce the vibrations over longer routes from the gearbox. we used this years ago on several IS200 with the J160 gearbox with success.

Now i have a crome heavy weight 2" shift ball. i´m not unhappy with this, but i i want a other look with a heavy weight ****.

for a test, i bought a black delrin ****, fit not perfect, maybe a idea for a black one, or go to a oem look ****. No idea
Old 01-08-19, 12:37 PM
Boergy
Advanced

hi!

today comes the carbon shift ****, fits good, little mods needed to fit perfect in my eyes sorry for the dust on my interieur. My SC sleeps now, its winter here in europe.

Old 01-16-19, 05:55 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet, swap!!!
Old 03-06-19, 12:10 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Thanks!

Now i have a other shifter, also in carbon. feels good, but the black spacer between the boot and the shifter is to long. in the next days, i will make a new one the fit

now i have a very short oilfilter installed, but i want to use the original big one. for this, i bought from Ford racing a 90° oilfilter elbow. the have the same thread as the 1UZ and i hope the will make the space for the bigger oilfilter.

Here in europe, is the the oilfilter from Mahle, typ OC11. in the states, you can use also from Kawasaki or some other from a cross reference list

on ebay.co.uk, i found a original fuel filter with bracket for a very good price. Now, i can see the different between a aftermarket and the original one. the original have the thread complete to fit the lines.

Old 03-06-19, 12:25 PM
Boergy
Advanced

last year, i found a HKS hipermax 2 from a Supra with low miles to buy. this year will i install this in my SC. The Eibach springs with the Bilstein shocks are great, but for some sporty driving are the springs to soft. The have front 8kg and rear 4kg. The Hipermax have 14kg front and 10kg rear. i cleaned it and send the springs to powder coat. Original gives from HKS a washer between the nut and the spring to adjust the high easer. but the parts not included. the are not easy to buy, all HKS dealers are incompetend to order this washers with the original part number. My solution is, to use washers for axial bearing from the industry. 1 washer costs onyl 2 dollars in great quality. the are a little bit bigger, but also great.

now cleaned, the coilovers looks much better

in the next weeks is many to do. HKS coilovers to finish and install, Nur Spec Muffler install, Oil change with Filter and elbow, fuel filter change, Shiftknob-spacer build and the biggest work, remove the W58 gearbox and change all bearings. 6 from 7 bearings arrived. in april i will change all bearings, fill in redline oil MT90 and hope, all vibrations gone (3rd and 5th gear).

greets

Tom
Old 03-06-19, 01:23 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Tom,

As always, your car is one of my favorites. You have great attention to detail and it looks as though you're putting together one hell of a driver. Keep it up!
Old 03-20-19, 11:05 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hello Rudy, thanks!

only plug and play is not my thing

last weekend, i had time to make the spacer between the shift boot and carbon stick. now, it looks good in my eyes!

for my Nur Specs bought i 2 silencers from aliexpress. with little modifications, fits the silencers in the mufflers. Maybe i can with this, pass the dB measuring with a positive result.

next step for my HKS coilovers. the springs are new powdered, threads cleaned and now rebuild.

i hope, i can install this next weekend

Quick Reply: My ´97 SC400