Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DIY Swirl/Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 12:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,557 Posts

There is no wax that will minimize swirl marks and minor scratches only a ceramic coating will. If you don't use one then in a year you'll be doing the many step process all over again, unless you like to wax your car every 2-3 weeks and even then you won't have any additional scratch resistance.
Old 07-14-19, 08:00 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I’m a little late on this but have you considered meguiars ultimate compound? Not too aggressive and I think it should work on your ‘14; can’t imagine the paint is too bad. Like others said start less aggressive and work your way up if you don’t get the expected results. The 105 is pretty aggressive.
Old 07-15-19, 08:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolchuck
I’m a little late on this but have you considered meguiars ultimate compound? Not too aggressive and I think it should work on your ‘14; can’t imagine the paint is too bad. Like others said start less aggressive and work your way up if you don’t get the expected results. The 105 is pretty aggressive.
I tried the ultimate compound and was not impressed at all, it was less aggressive them my Menzerna Intensive Polish and did not remove many of the swirls even the Intensive Polish did, I don't know how they possibly call it a compound, more of a mild polish, there is a reason it is cheap and always at Wal Mart. I took it back, tried the Microfiber DA Correction Compound and it works much better.
Old 07-15-19, 08:58 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no wax that will minimize swirl marks and minor scratches only a ceramic coating will. If you don't use one then in a year you'll be doing the many step process all over again, unless you like to wax your car every 2-3 weeks and even then you won't have any additional scratch resistance.
If you're gonna do it do it right. I'll take a more serious look at the ceramic coating.
If I'm 100% happy with my 1st results I'll do it. I just thought I'd give some time with wax as possibly I'd have to redo. Being 1st time idk if I can expect good enough results to deal with ceramic coating. Thank you. Being a black car once I get the correction to my satisfaction I would definitely like as much protection as possible.
Originally Posted by Coolchuck
That was my first thought, also mentioned above in this thread. I definitely want to start, and possibly finish less aggressive 1st round. Part of the reason idk about ceramic coating this round.
This is what I'm dealing with. The entire car is like that. I'll see if I can post some better pictures.

Old 07-16-19, 05:49 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 945 Likes on 580 Posts

Honestly that does not look too bad. I can almost guarantee that an All in One will easily take care of those swirls, even by hand. But a DA polisher will make it much easier. If you haven't bought any specific product yet, I would try an easily obtained All in One like Meguiar's or Griot's Garage 3 in 1 waxes, available at any big box store or Auto retail store like AutoZone or Advance Auto. See quick comparo vid below. No need to spend megabucks. I've also read good reviews of Meguiar's Black Wax.

Last edited by chinee; 07-16-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 05:58 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 945 Likes on 580 Posts

... and ceramic coatings... they can be scratched as well, and need to be cared for in the same manner as the paint on your car. Tougher than clear coat paint, but not scratch-proof. I liked this vid...
Old 07-17-19, 07:33 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Honestly that does not look too bad. I can almost guarantee that an All in One will easily take care of those swirls, even by hand. But a DA polisher will make it much easier. If you haven't bought any specific product yet, I would try an easily obtained All in One like Meguiar's or Griot's Garage 3 in 1 waxes, available at any big box store or Auto retail store like AutoZone or Advance Auto. See quick comparo vid below. No need to spend megabucks. I've also read good reviews of Meguiar's Black Wax.

https://youtu.be/Clda28G5a9c
I haven't bought anything specific. Only thing I'm entirely sold on is I need a DA polisher.

I watched that video and feel that product may be worth giving a shot. My gut feeling is I need a little more. But I may pick that up for maintenance later and our other car.