Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 12:54 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Vacuum the glass out. Push the seat down with your finger as you vacuum the crevices. also use a brush attachment to dislodge any tiny shards. be gentle.

as far as gauge lens (clear plastic) every car i've ever owned, that part scratches if you just look at it wrong. i don't know why on every car that part is so sensitive.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 12:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I actually have a compressor for detailing cars that blows out the water off of crevices. I also use it for the interior to blow all the dust out of the car.
For dust, i'll roll down the windows on one side of the car, or FL and RR (diagonal) while on the freeway and the suction will suck dust out of the car. sometimes i'll agitate the dash and seats with a microfiber and the natural rush of wind and pressure differential sucks the dust right out. of course in addition to a normal cleaning. i use this method to keep the dust down
Old 02-07-19, 01:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
For dust, i'll roll down the windows on one side of the car, or FL and RR (diagonal) while on the freeway and the suction will suck dust out of the car. sometimes i'll agitate the dash and seats with a microfiber and the natural rush of wind and pressure differential sucks the dust right out. of course in addition to a normal cleaning. i use this method to keep the dust down
Its so dusty here in Cali, i'm afraid opening the window will let in as much dust as your method lets out. I'll try it though and see if it helps. The compressor really helps though and really handy to blow out all the crevices during detailing.
Old 02-07-19, 02:12 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm using the 303 brand cleaner and protectant.

I was initially being more conservative, just a damp microfiber cloth.
But the 303 protectant makes the red seats pop.
Old 02-07-19, 07:46 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Does anyone have any tips for removing micro-sized pieces of glass from seat crevices? Still recovering from my recent burglarization lol.

I did my best to remove the larger sized pieces, but holding back from the smaller pieces as I dont want to introduce potential scratching or tearing.

I'm inclined to try the air compressor method though.
I have 5-6 pieces of glitter in mine. Tried blowing with air compressor and vacuum. I'm gonna have to get surgical. Hope you'll have better results.

What about headliner, moonroof cover, vanity mirrors?
Delicate material and a light grey easily attracts dirt.
Old 02-08-19, 06:57 AM
elvis14
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Griots Garage Interior Cleaner with a good microfiber towel (found good towels at a local Detail Garage/Chemical Guys store). Does a nice job of cleaning but doesn't seem to leave a residue and doesn't have too much of a smell.
Old 02-08-19, 02:29 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

So I use ONR on everything in the interior. I use it diluted at like 128:1 and use it to clean every single surface inside the vehicle that is not fabric. I just spray and wipe with a microfiber. I use it on the dash, steering wheel, display, seats, sills, trim, piano black surfaces, buttons, etc. etc. I then follow it up with Opti-Seal to seal everything 2-3x a year. Opti-Seal also works great as a glass cleaner leaving behind a crystal clear surface. I apply the Opti-Seal with the yellow foam applicator, and except for glass, it's apply and walk away (no buff/wipe required). Opti-Seal leaves behind a nice deep sheen on all the surfaces and does not have that oily look/feel.

ONR is super versatile, mild enough to clean all surfaces, and smells nice. I sometimes will even spray some ONR right into the carpeting to give the car a nice fresh scent for a few weeks.

Last edited by np20412; 02-08-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 03:28 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z (<-- link) to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.

Just ordered some! Thanks for the advice. I haaaaaste greasy/tacky feeling steering wheels!