Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior Detailing

 
Old 02-05-19, 07:17 AM
  #1  
brfitzp
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Interior Detailing

i have a 2016 is200t f sport and was wondering what everyone uses to clean the dash, door panels, and seats. Any suggestions?
brfitzp is offline  
Old 02-05-19, 07:45 AM
  #2  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,373
Liked 330 Times in 269 Posts
Default

You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z (<-- link) to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.


Last edited by E46CT; 02-05-19 at 09:51 AM.
E46CT is online now  
Old 02-05-19, 09:07 AM
  #3  
arentz07
Lexus Champion
 
arentz07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,415
Liked 129 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.
I might have to try that. I've been using Lexol on my IS's steering wheel - both cleaner and conditioner. It looks great for about a week, then it's shiny again... Maybe I'm not applying the conditioner correctly, or the conditioner is more shiny than the 1z. But that's my experience. When I first wipe the wheel with the cleaner, it looks like new, but gets messy quickly.

So yeah, for suggesting this.
arentz07 is online now  
Old 02-05-19, 09:32 AM
  #4  
Danny200t
Rookie
 
Danny200t's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.

Is the product called 1z Cockpit Premium? also, what kind of odour does it leave behind? thanks
Danny200t is offline  
Old 02-05-19, 09:46 AM
  #5  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,373
Liked 330 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Yes 1z cockpit. It's in the link in my post (should have clarified it's a link--the blue blends in)

It leaves a somewhat strong orangey citrus/sort of pine wood scent. But it's a fresh scent. It's noticeable for first 1-2 days but fades to subtle. very unique scent. took me some getting used to at first but now i love it. It's a detailers favorite. For steering wheel/shift **** use, take a microfiber and rub it firmly around the wheel (like grab the wheel in a fist and turn your first forward and backward) so scrub front/back not slide to the side (if that makes sense) I apply it about once a month. And it's safe and good for ALL interior surfaces. glass, plastics, vinyl, leather, etc etc. I use it as a quick wipe down when i do my normal vacuuming cleaning once a month or so. Leaves everything spotless. Lasts forever too. about a bottle a year.

Use sparingly , a little goes a long way. the scent definitely lasts.
E46CT is online now  
Old 02-05-19, 09:49 AM
  #6  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,373
Liked 330 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
I might have to try that. I've been using Lexol on my IS's steering wheel - both cleaner and conditioner. It looks great for about a week, then it's shiny again... Maybe I'm not applying the conditioner correctly, or the conditioner is more shiny than the 1z. But that's my experience. When I first wipe the wheel with the cleaner, it looks like new, but gets messy quickly.

So yeah, for suggesting this.
If you want a good leather cleaner and conditioner, try gliptone. it's from the UK so not the easiest to find.

but for general maintenance/touch ups, the 1Z stuff is prime! my secret for greasy steering wheel syndrome.

edit i think they changed the name now but they used to call themselves 1Z back in the day. Same brand/product though.
E46CT is online now  
Old 02-05-19, 10:35 AM
  #7  
Danny200t
Rookie
 
Danny200t's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Yes 1z cockpit. It's in the link in my post (should have clarified it's a link--the blue blends in)

It leaves a somewhat strong orangey citrus/sort of pine wood scent. But it's a fresh scent. It's noticeable for first 1-2 days but fades to subtle. very unique scent. took me some getting used to at first but now i love it. It's a detailers favorite. For steering wheel/shift **** use, take a microfiber and rub it firmly around the wheel (like grab the wheel in a fist and turn your first forward and backward) so scrub front/back not slide to the side (if that makes sense) I apply it about once a month. And it's safe and good for ALL interior surfaces. glass, plastics, vinyl, leather, etc etc. I use it as a quick wipe down when i do my normal vacuuming cleaning once a month or so. Leaves everything spotless. Lasts forever too. about a bottle a year.

Use sparingly , a little goes a long way. the scent definitely lasts.
Thanks, there’s a local detail shop in my city that has it. Since i still have a bit of a new car smell i would like to make it last as long as possible to maybe i could try going over it with a towel with water to lower the scent of the product.
Danny200t is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
  #8  
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I use chemical guys leather cleaner + conditioner. Two step process and I apply to seats, dash, door panels, steering wheel; anything that's leather and makes it look new again.
mrmle03 is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 09:16 AM
  #9  
EZZ
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,904
Likes: 0
Liked 51 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I also use Nextzett Cockpit and leave a small bottle in the glove compartment for the emergency when you get junk on the interior. One word of advice...be VERY careful with the plastic gauge cluster lens. It scratches easily so I'd avoid any contact if possible. If you do decide to wipe it, use the softest microfiber towel you can find.
EZZ is online now  
Old 02-06-19, 10:59 AM
  #10  
SSworks
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 146
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EZZ View Post
I also use Nextzett Cockpit and leave a small bottle in the glove compartment for the emergency when you get junk on the interior. One word of advice...be VERY careful with the plastic gauge cluster lens. It scratches easily so I'd avoid any contact if possible. If you do decide to wipe it, use the softest microfiber towel you can find.
I used a soft microfiber and it still left some small scratches, After that i use compressed air.
SSworks is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 11:57 AM
  #11  
EZZ
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,904
Likes: 0
Liked 51 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SSworks
I used a soft microfiber and it still left some small scratches, After that i use compressed air.
I actually have a compressor for detailing cars that blows out the water off of crevices. I also use it for the interior to blow all the dust out of the car.
EZZ is online now  
Old 02-06-19, 12:06 PM
  #12  
HOMER350
Pole Position
 
HOMER350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 383
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I'm gonna get that nextzett. I used to go with shine because I figured it offered more UV protection? But I use a custom-fit sunshade religiously anyways.

How about the headliner? Soapy water and rag?
i got a little junk on there taking out sunroof, and also with Windows open dirt can accumulate.


Btw there's a whole forum on auto detailing and care.

HOMER350 is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 10:02 AM
  #13  
RageRacerM
Pole Position
 
RageRacerM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 247
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Does anyone have any tips for removing micro-sized pieces of glass from seat crevices? Still recovering from my recent burglarization lol.

I did my best to remove the larger sized pieces, but holding back from the smaller pieces as I dont want to introduce potential scratching or tearing.

I'm inclined to try the air compressor method though.
RageRacerM is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 11:06 AM
  #14  
Rudiculous
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (13)
 
Rudiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,120
Liked 83 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by brfitzp
i have a 2016 is200t f sport and was wondering what everyone uses to clean the dash, door panels, and seats. Any suggestions?
This may also provide some extra knowledge:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Rudiculous is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 11:20 AM
  #15  
skiracer
Lead Lap
 
skiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 624
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RageRacerM View Post
Does anyone have any tips for removing micro-sized pieces of glass from seat crevices? Still recovering from my recent burglarization lol.

I did my best to remove the larger sized pieces, but holding back from the smaller pieces as I dont want to introduce potential scratching or tearing.

I'm inclined to try the air compressor method though.
Shop Vac since it has uber strong suction power?
skiracer is offline  
The following users liked this post: skiracer
RageRacerM (02-07-19)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: