Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Possible Leather/ Dash Defect

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 09:56 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Honestly, I'd remove the Chemical Guys (not a fan of their products), and go with some Leatherique. I'll post the kit below, but use the cleaner, then coat it with the oil, let it sit for several hours (I let mine sit overnight to really let it sink in), then clean the old residue off. I've tried probably 80% of the leather products on the market, at least the popular ones, and this is hands down the best and most effective.

Leatherique Kit:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-01-18, 01:47 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a FYI, You do know that the dash is not leather, right? It's painted vinyl. I'd not use a leather conditioning product on vinyl.
Old 11-02-18, 06:22 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Ah, if it's a painted vinyl, I'd definitely just use something like 303, but that will only mask the issue. Really not familiar with the new Lexus materials, so definitely let us know if you end up fixing it.
Old 11-02-18, 06:47 AM
jfelbab

The only material in Lexus, and most vehicles made today, that is real leather is that which comes in contact with you. Leather seat back and bottom, steering wheel, etc. The rest is faux leather, a 100% synthetic material made to resemble real leather. Lexus calls their product Newluxe, It is vinyl, and should be cared for like vinyl for best results and long term performance. It is a soft material with a semi-flat patina that will become shiny if burnished with a microfiber too aggressively. That is the reason I use soft 100% cotton when caring for it. It scratches and scuffs fairly easily. It cannot be scrubbed without causing a change in its patina. A permanent repair of MKFSports issue will likely require a respray from professional. A coating can hide the damaged area somewhat, for a while, but this typically will leave the whole area shinier than the original and a shiny dash can be an issue with glare.

Be gentle with your dash. Don't put things on it and take care not to rub anything hard against it. Next to gauge clusters and LCD panels, the dash is one of the most fragile things in the car, IMO.
Old 11-05-18, 06:11 AM
MKFSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - car is going to the dealer tomorrow. I will let everyone know what they say in terms of a resolution/ future prevention.
Old 11-13-18, 06:18 AM
MKFSport
Driver School Candidate

Update - the car came back with the marks covered up with leather conditioner. The car is going back to the dealer again for try #2.
Old 11-26-18, 10:45 AM
MKFSport
Driver School Candidate

Update #2 - Dealer was unable to fully repair the dash, they are now replacing.
Old 11-26-18, 12:28 PM
jfelbab

Nice job ��
Old 11-26-18, 07:15 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Really happy to hear that. It's so upsetting to spend your hard earned money on a car only to have it become a frustration and disappointment. Hope everything works out and you get to enjoy your car.
Old 12-03-18, 09:47 AM
MKFSport
Driver School Candidate

**Update** After 2 dashes from Japan, the dealer finally found one (a third dash) that did not have a blemish. Now, however, we have this issue. The dealer is saying nothing can be done. Does anyone else see these issues on their car? I inspected 6 other new RX's and did not see the issue of the dash not being level present.

The right side of the dashboard, directly above the gauge cluster, is higher than the left side. I understand the dash has a dip in the center, the level is placed on the right and left side of the dash where it peaks. The dashboard also appears to not be completely seated and as a result, it is not level.

There is also a black residue in the form of black dots on the silver trim that the dash sits above..

Last edited by MKFSport; 12-03-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:19 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have the newer RX, so I can't comment on the fitment. It sounds like they weren't getting you a brand new dash but instead ordering from the defect pile. So the dashes they're getting for you are technically "new", but are the ones that didn't make the cut because of defects. That's my guess at least as it seems unlikely that all 3 would have issues.
You shouldn't have to settle for a defective replacement. I'd give Lexus corporate a call and ask if they are covering this under warranty, or is the dealer covering it out of pocket? If it's the latter, then that tells you it's likely they're ordering discounted defective replacements to try and save a buck. If Lexus is in-fact covering it under warranty, then you have a right to a non-defective replacement. That's my thinking at least.