Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather protectant

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 02:19 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Leather protectant

Just recently purchased a new 2018 GX 460 with ecru interior. Doing some research and see a few options for protecting my leather seats - primarily from dye transfer.

Wanted to see if anyone had any positive or negative experiences with these products on ecru colored leather
  • CQuartz Leather (states not to use on white/light leather seats, but could be because of orange suede applicator)
  • Leather Masters Leather Barrier
  • Optimum Protection Plus
  • anything else?
Old 09-20-18, 02:53 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Here's the CQuartz Leather response I received from customer service at Carpros:

The main reason we do not recommend using the Cquartz Leather on light colored leather is because we have seen were the coating has a bad reaction with the leather and causes it to turn yellow and the only way to fix it is by re-dying the leather. Also if something goes wrong during application there is no way to remove it until it wears off. This yellowing issue we have seen on cheap leather or Volvo leather but since automotive manufacturers change the materials used so frequently it is hard to tell on which vehicle it may or may not happen too. We would recommend the Ultima Interior Guard plus to add protection to the seats but it will not do much to protect against dye transfer. If you wish to proceed with the application of Cquartz Leather do so at your own risk but we would recommend applying to an inconspicuous area first and checking after 30 days to make sure there is no color change.

The issue with the orange suedes was that there were some people that had orange dye transfer onto the leather from the suede applicator.
Old 09-20-18, 05:28 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have parchment leather in my 2014 rx350. I tried a bunch of different protectants but liked Leather Masters Barrier the best. I think it is the best way to go for protection and look. Just keep the seats clean, do the cleaning procedure in the manual with 1/20th woolite and water solution, and then add a coat of Leather Masters Barrier. Thats been the procedure I've found that works best for me. I'm a amatuer detailer, so I've tried a lot of different methods and products.
Also consider getting yourself a custom fit sunshade from covercraft to keep the leather from getting dried out when parked in the sun.
Congrats on the new car!
The following users liked this post:
EXP_Cougar (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 05:48 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Thank you, sounds spot on!