Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Planning on doing a 22ple coating on silver, HPC or VX Pro 2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts
Default Planning on doing a 22ple coating on silver, HPC or VX Pro 2?

I've decided to do a ceramic coating on my new LS, and after a lot of research I've decided on 22ple for ease of application and removal. Currently debating between the HPC and the VX Pro 2. Leaning towards the HPC because its silver, and the slight visual benefits of the VX Pro 2 will likely be lost and to get the greater durability of the HPC.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-18, 06:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I can guarantee you that you will not see a visual difference on your car regardless of what coating you put on there because like you said it is silver. The looks are 99% down to the prep and polishing whether you're using a cheap $100 consumer based coating, or a ten layer Ceramic Pro application. The "looks" portion of coatings is all hype and marketing, you can rest assured.

Just go with HPC. I've used both coatings extensively and have done dozens of cars with both. I like HPC because it's fool proof in application.
Old 01-21-18, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The car is prepped right, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Fool proof is what I'm looking for lol. I'm actually a pretty experienced hobbyist detailer but I've never used a coating before.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-18, 06:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I've been detailing full time for the last 5+ years at a shop that's a certified Opticoat Pro and Cquartz Pro/Reserve installer and we also happen to use alot of Gtechniq and 22PLE products.

Trust me, on a silver car I don't care what coating you install, they will all look great and you won't see a difference.

Keep in mind these hand applied coatings are EXTREMELY thin and almost un-measurable in thickness, especially these single layer consumer products. To truly see a difference in depth and gloss, you'd need to apply a pretty thick layer of clear to a paint. These coatings do not do that. These are still a wipe-on and wipe-off product. When you level out the coating, you're removing the majority of it anyways.
Old 01-21-18, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Makes sense.

Question for you about layers, can you apply 2-3 layers of the HPC after one layer has cured?
Old 01-21-18, 07:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Makes sense.

Question for you about layers, can you apply 2-3 layers of the HPC after one layer has cured?
HPC bottle says to do 2 coats for optimal results.

I've personally never done 2 coats and see no point in it, but if you have extra leftover coating and it makes you feel better, than 2 coats won't hurt anything and is recommended so go for it!
Old 01-21-18, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ll probably get the 50mL, any chance that would be enough to do 2coats on a big car like the LWB LS?
Old 01-21-18, 08:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That should be plenty to do 2 coats.

https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Mic.../Rectangle-S1/

Use this rectangular applicator for $2.99 it's WORLDS better than the suede applicators of the old days (the ones that comes with CQuartz and some other coatings).

If you use this blue foam applicator, just prime it pretty good to get things started and go to town. You'll use much less coating and the entire process will be easy as pie.

No need to put on crazy thick coats, you'd just be wasting coating. Apply it nice and evenly in thin coats as per directions.

Also make sure you shake the bottle really well, there's a metal ball inside the bottle that you'll hear bouncing around once you shook it enough.
Old 01-21-18, 08:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

With HPC, you got plenty of working time. Now that the shop temp is set around 60-65 degrees in the winter, you can easily leave it on a car for a good 15-20 minutes with no ill side effects. It's honestly the easiest coating to use, does not stain trim or glass and as long as you don't wait too long, it's extremely easy to level out/remove.

Use one new MF towel to do the first wipe, and a second new towel for the second wipe when leveling the coating to ensure all high spots have been "leveled".

https://www.detailedimage.com/Meguia...58/16-x-24-S1/

Those are by far the most versatile and best towels on the market hands down. We spent years trying all the different towels from Detailed Image and similar sites but none compare to these things. Most towels turn hard and crappy after washing a few times, but these towels can last several months and dozens of washes. They also just work better for what they are designed for (polish removal, coating removal, wax removal, quick detailer, interior cleaning, etc.).

But definitely toss them after using them to remove coating. They'll become hydrophobic and a bit hard and won't work as well afterwards. You can keep them maybe and use them to wiping dirty areas on a car like wheel wells, exhaust tips, etc. but don't re-use on paint.
Old 01-21-18, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Super, I was going to get the CarPro applicator and the suede micro fibers but I will get that one instead. I’ll pick up some of those towels as well.

thanks for the tips!
Old 01-22-18, 09:49 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
With HPC, you got plenty of working time. Now that the shop temp is set around 60-65 degrees in the winter, you can easily leave it on a car for a good 15-20 minutes with no ill side effects. It's honestly the easiest coating to use, does not stain trim or glass and as long as you don't wait too long, it's extremely easy to level out/remove.

Use one new MF towel to do the first wipe, and a second new towel for the second wipe when leveling the coating to ensure all high spots have been "leveled".

https://www.detailedimage.com/Meguia...58/16-x-24-S1/

Those are by far the most versatile and best towels on the market hands down. We spent years trying all the different towels from Detailed Image and similar sites but none compare to these things. Most towels turn hard and crappy after washing a few times, but these towels can last several months and dozens of washes. They also just work better for what they are designed for (polish removal, coating removal, wax removal, quick detailer, interior cleaning, etc.).

But definitely toss them after using them to remove coating. They'll become hydrophobic and a bit hard and won't work as well afterwards. You can keep them maybe and use them to wiping dirty areas on a car like wheel wells, exhaust tips, etc. but don't re-use on paint.
Would you recommend these towels on soft black paint for removing the coating? I had some issues with towel marring over the weekend while removing a coating off a single stage black paint. I'm looking for new towels while readjusting my application method.
Old 01-22-18, 01:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Those are the only towels we use. 80% of our business is jet black paint and half the cars we do are Porsche which are notoriously soft. These towels are great. Just wash them with a MF safe detergent prior to use To avoid linting. Never use any brand new towel without first washing. I’ve never had these towel mar paint, even on soft repainted or Subaru paint they are fine as long as you’re not getting aggressive with them and using them properly.
Old 01-22-18, 01:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Thanks, these towels sound perfect, I'll be ordering some to try on my brother-in-law's new Subaru. That way I'll know if it's my technique or the product if I have issues.
Old 01-22-18, 02:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Thanks, these towels sound perfect, I'll be ordering some to try on my brother-in-law's new Subaru. That way I'll know if it's my technique or the product if I have issues.
Yup, these towels have been our go to for the last 7 years if not more. We have tried so many other ones but always disappointed.

Make sure to tear off the tags and remove the plastic ties that hold the towels together in a pack. Don't want to rub leftover plastic ties on your nice paint haha.

We pretty much used up all the other brands of MF towels we've ever bought and only order these now for everything. And I mean everything.
Old 01-22-18, 05:05 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Yup, these towels have been our go to for the last 7 years if not more. We have tried so many other ones but always disappointed.

Make sure to tear off the tags and remove the plastic ties that hold the towels together in a pack. Don't want to rub leftover plastic ties on your nice paint haha.

We pretty much used up all the other brands of MF towels we've ever bought and only order these now for everything. And I mean everything.
What do you think of the Rag Company's Eagle Edgless towels? I don't have a detail business but, have been using them for a while.i use them on my 2 black cars but don't use heavy pressure. They seem to get softer the more you wash them. I haven't had them long enough to come to a conclusion.

Quick Reply: Planning on doing a 22ple coating on silver, HPC or VX Pro 2?