Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Should I protect interior with ceramic coat

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 03:55 PM
ajhbrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I protect interior with ceramic coat

Hello,

I have a white pearl 2017 RX 350 AWD Panaramic Moonroof with Mark Levinson and Navigation (MR2 Package).

I'm concerned about protecting the interior, but wasn't sure if Ceramic Pro for Leather or similar ceramic product should be used, since I think the factory is a synthetic leather or leathette. Do I even need to worry about fading or cracking or sun damage to the dash without tint?

I'm also considering tinting just the front 2 driver and passenger windows to match, or slightly match the rears. I'm not going to tint the windshield since it's not legal in California, but was thinking the side windows would look nice and provide some protection. Any opinions?

Thanks for your time and comments?
Old 01-07-18, 04:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Unless you plan on keeping that car for over 15 years I would not even bother. Nobody really knows if these "interior coatings" even work. They have no been out long enough so basically all you have is the manufacturer's claims that they work and prolong the life of various materials.

Oh and it makes your leather and vinyl hydrophobic...not sure how that comes in handy or if it's worth anything to you (it's not worth it for me).

If you have kids, just get a full set of weathertechs and maybe try the carpet coating on the areas where the mats do not cover.

Carpet coating - Yes

Leather and vinyl coating I would personally skip. We used to offer these at my work but stopped because the leather still gets dirty and still requires a good amount of cleaning time, so there really was no benefit to the customers.
The following users liked this post:
ajhbrady (01-07-18)
Old 01-08-18, 11:13 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Unless you plan on keeping that car for over 15 years I would not even bother. Nobody really knows if these "interior coatings" even work. They have no been out long enough so basically all you have is the manufacturer's claims that they work and prolong the life of various materials.

Oh and it makes your leather and vinyl hydrophobic...not sure how that comes in handy or if it's worth anything to you (it's not worth it for me).

If you have kids, just get a full set of weathertechs and maybe try the carpet coating on the areas where the mats do not cover.

Carpet coating - Yes

Leather and vinyl coating I would personally skip. We used to offer these at my work but stopped because the leather still gets dirty and still requires a good amount of cleaning time, so there really was no benefit to the customers.
Do you have a carpet coating you would recommend?

I was planning on trying CarPro Fabric and CarPro leather and vinyl coatings in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-10-18, 05:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Do you have a carpet coating you would recommend?

I was planning on trying CarPro Fabric and CarPro leather and vinyl coatings in the next couple of weeks.
My buddy is a certified Ceramic Pro installer and he demo'd their fabric coating....I was blown away by the results. Unfortunately as regular consumer, we can't purchase it.

This stuff has been around for a while however:

Amazon Amazon

I am sure if you really dig around you'll find a bunch more.
Old 01-11-18, 10:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
My buddy is a certified Ceramic Pro installer and he demo'd their fabric coating....I was blown away by the results. Unfortunately as regular consumer, we can't purchase it.

This stuff has been around for a while however:

https://www.amazon.com/Oleum-274232-.../dp/B00DNQBFAW

I am sure if you really dig around you'll find a bunch more.
I wish I could try the professional level of products for 1st hand experience/feedback.

I'll do some more research on products. It is hard to get valuable feedback since most people try 1 product on their personal cars and think it's amazing. Which is great for them, but it doesn't help me decide which is best for each car I work on.
Old 01-14-18, 07:20 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

303 fabric guard or the 3m fabric guard whatever they have at the store, its cheap and effective. It definitely works, keeps your fabric much cleaner much longer and the maintenance process becomes such a breeze.

Also to the thread starter I stick to my favorite Wolfgang conditioner, it seems like the chemist put something inside the Wolfgang conditioner there that works well with modern day coated leather, it smells good and isn't oily/greasy like the rest of the conditioners. Im sure there are other good ones out there, but never needed to explore further as this is one of my favorite products.

Here is one that was properly cleaned using an all purpose cleaner and conditioned using Wolfgang conditioner. I love the matte look and tried quite a few before deciding not needing to explore any other options. It keeps the leather soft and supple, protected both from stains and sun, easy to use (you can use on stitching), and smells good if you have any passengers they will notice the nice aroma right away.
Attached Thumbnails Should I protect interior with ceramic coat-img_6720.jpg  
Old 01-15-18, 11:24 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ajhbrady
Hello,

I have a white pearl 2017 RX 350 AWD Panaramic Moonroof with Mark Levinson and Navigation (MR2 Package).

I'm concerned about protecting the interior, but wasn't sure if Ceramic Pro for Leather or similar ceramic product should be used, since I think the factory is a synthetic leather or leathette. Do I even need to worry about fading or cracking or sun damage to the dash without tint?

I'm also considering tinting just the front 2 driver and passenger windows to match, or slightly match the rears. I'm not going to tint the windshield since it's not legal in California, but was thinking the side windows would look nice and provide some protection. Any opinions?

Thanks for your time and comments?
You do not mention the color of your interior leather. If you have a lighter color leather I would coat the leather with Ceramic Pro for Leather as the leather will definitely stay cleaner and be easier to clean.
Old 01-15-18, 07:12 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Using either/or would be sufficient.

Lighter cars may show more stains easily so it may benefit to have something on there asap.
Old 01-30-18, 09:36 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

What product is good for carpet coatings? Is there a DIY?
Old 01-30-18, 10:28 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
What product is good for carpet coatings? Is there a DIY?
GTechniq I1 Smart Fabric
However, all coatings eventually wear away and you need to clean, prep and reapply periodically.
Old 01-30-18, 06:40 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
GTechniq I1 Smart Fabric
However, all coatings eventually wear away and you need to clean, prep and reapply periodically.
Where can i buy it from?
Old 01-31-18, 07:50 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by finny76
Where can i buy it from?
You can buy off the shelf 303 fabric guard or 3m fabric at your local Walmart store, and trust me those stuff really work, this stuff has been around for ages, or you can spend 3 times more and get less product with the gtechniq. May it perform, probably, is it worth 3x the price, probably not...

Anyone obsessed with interiors should also watch below video pretty educational on removing interior odors with baking soda, odor removals, etc,