Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-30-17, 06:05 PM
  #1  
babaliont
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 85
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun

I recently started using a Gilmour Foamaster II gun for washing my car. I've tried it with chemical guys Mr. Pink and Meguiar's gold class. With Mr. Pink it leaves some type of residue on my Obsidian black IS 350 that makes finger prints and smudges very visible, especially in sunlight. The Gold class did a little better, but I hope that there are better products out there that work well with the foam gun.

I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.

Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?
babaliont is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 06:58 AM
  #2  
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master
iTrader: (2)
 
zmcgovern4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,463
Thanked 79 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by babaliont View Post
I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.
Chemical Guys is great at 2 things.... marketing to the 'general public' and selling tons of products. I would agree that the vast majority of their products are overrated and overhyped. They have a million products that work fine, but none of the ones I have tried are outstanding. Stick to tried and true brands like Meguiar's. Their Professional line of products is outstanding.

Originally Posted by babaliont View Post
Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?
2 of my favorite maintenance shampoos are...

Meguiar's Hyper Wash
Optimum Car Wash
zmcgovern4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zmcgovern4 For This Useful Post:
psinsyd (02-05-18)
Old 10-31-17, 11:17 AM
  #3  
babaliont
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 85
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am relieved to hear that a pro like you shares my opinion of CG.

Thanks for your recommendations. However, from reading the product details it doesn't look like the recommended application is using a foam gun. Or is that not correct?
babaliont is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 12:48 PM
  #4  
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master
iTrader: (2)
 
zmcgovern4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,463
Thanked 79 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by babaliont View Post
I am relieved to hear that a pro like you shares my opinion of CG.

Thanks for your recommendations. However, from reading the product details it doesn't look like the recommended application is using a foam gun. Or is that not correct?
Most pros share that opinion of CG As I mentioned, they target the consumer market heavily.

That is not correct. Both options I suggested can be used traditionally (in a bucket) or in a foaming device. A foaming device is never required for any shampoo.
zmcgovern4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 02:18 PM
  #5  
WayneLaR1
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NB
Posts: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I share the general skepticism of CG's products but their Honeydew Snow Foam is legit. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
WayneLaR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 12:26 PM
  #6  
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,442
Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by babaliont View Post
I recently started using a Gilmour Foamaster II gun for washing my car. I've tried it with chemical guys Mr. Pink and Meguiar's gold class. With Mr. Pink it leaves some type of residue on my Obsidian black IS 350 that makes finger prints and smudges very visible, especially in sunlight. The Gold class did a little better, but I hope that there are better products out there that work well with the foam gun.

I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.

Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?
I have the same foam gun, and I use Gold Class. It studs fairly well, but I still do a two bucket wash afterwards.

The foam gun is really to break some dirt down, and rinse away before I wash.

I was tempted to try Meg's Wash/Wax, but its pretty pricey for the amount you're getting. Gold Class, imo, is relativity cheap and last awhile.

*Also, CG stuff is kinda overprice, imo, and I fall into the "general market" category. Can't go wrong with Meg's products, everything I use for my car is from them.
nathantse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 06:44 AM
  #7  
GSRockstar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: alberta
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by babaliont View Post
I recently started using a Gilmour Foamaster II gun for washing my car. I've tried it with chemical guys Mr. Pink and Meguiar's gold class. With Mr. Pink it leaves some type of residue on my Obsidian black IS 350 that makes finger prints and smudges very visible, especially in sunlight. The Gold class did a little better, but I hope that there are better products out there that work well with the foam gun.

I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.

Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?
meguiars gold class is the best shampoo you can get basically. It doesnt contain wax, is very gentle and sudsy and when i use it everyone asks me how i get my car so shiny. If its not working well with your foam gun (i have the same one) then adjust the pin on the top of the gun to get a higher concentration of soap to hose water and mix your solution in the bottle a little stronger (i do like a third shampoo to 2/3 water but you can make it as strong or weak as you want man) i get tons of foam and i use it on the highest setting. Also some people do not like the foam guns because they dont get the results they want, only option is to get a foam cannon which is more powerful but totally uneccessary.
GSRockstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: