Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best way to clean windows . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 11:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Best way to clean windows . . . .

I have tinted windows on my SC300, so no ammonia cleaners(ie blue Windex) on those. My truck has the factory glass with no tint. Best cleaner I've found is "Stoner" window cleaner, comes with a yellow cap in an aersol can.

Problem I am having is what sort of material should I clean the window with???? I've noticed my microfiber towels are leaving bits of the material on the glass, pisses me off that I spend good $$$$ for "quality" towels, only to have their stupid microfibers stick to the glass.

I know newspaper is the ideal cleaner for glass, but I don't subscribe to a newspaper like my father's generation. Where is a good place to source newspaper??? My local Kroger would rather throw out of date papers in the trash than give them to me.
Old 10-17-17, 06:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Use two towels... the first should be a medium pile and used with a liberal amount of glass cleaner to actually clean/wash the glass. Then follow up with a flat glass towel and, if needed, a very small amount of glass cleaner to create a streak free finish.

Recommended Towels:
Griot's Garage PFM Dual Sided Glass Towel (4 pack) - dual weave so you can do both steps with the same towel
All Purpose Towel (for the 1st step)
DI Glass Polishing Towel (for the 2nd step)
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (11-09-17)
Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

For the lint issue, are you washing your towels before using them? Also, for a streak free finish it is best to clean the windows in the shade. If the windows are heated up at all, then it's harder to get a streak free finish.

I use glass waffle weaves + Stoners Invisible glass to scrub my windows and follow up with any microfiber to buff dry. If I don't have any clean glass waffle weaves left, then any 2 microfibers will work fine.

If the glass isn't tinted and really dirty, then I use scotchbrite non scratch scouring pads or 3m light scouring pads (white).