Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you clean your glass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 06:58 PM
Champers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean your glass?

Hi guys.

Just curious about how you guys clean your glass inside and out and keep it clean.

My inside glass seems to get very cloudy/oily again quickly and i'm not sure why. I just use armourall glass wipes and dry then use fog x. Works well initially (but it streaks a lot and it's a lot of work) but fogs sooner than i'd anticipate.

On the outside I get water marks around the outside of my wiper lines and they wont come off with a standard wash or glass wipes.

Thanks, Champers.
Old 08-14-15, 09:15 AM
evident
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

inside - stoner's with a mf towel or newspaper
Old 08-15-15, 01:25 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use perfect glass with mf towel
Old 08-15-15, 06:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Your window fogging and streaking may be due to what you are using on the inside. What are you putting on the dash and leather to clean, condition and protect? Often this stuff outgases in the heat and will leave a film on your glass that is oily and can be difficult to remove.

I clean my glass with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner concentrate (D120 in the pro detailer line) This gallon of concentrate makes 11 gallons of the best window cleaner I've used. I clean the outside with horizontal strokes and the inside with vertical strokes so I can tell which side might have streaks. I use Meguiar's Xpress Spray Wax (D156), a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax, on the clean glass to remove any streaks and make the glass highly hydrophobic. This acts like Rain-X, only is easy to apply.

On the inside, I use Leather Masters cleaner and LM protector on the leather and Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on the dash and other interior vinyl. These products don't cause any outgassing.
Old 08-16-15, 05:13 PM
charlesatl
Driver

I use Tr Industries #ns-8 8oz Glass Polish you can buy it on amazon. You apply it like wax and then just buff it off...no streaks very easy .
Old 08-18-15, 08:08 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Invisible Glass and bought one of these: Glass Cleaner

It works really well, specially on the inside of the car.
Old 08-18-15, 12:11 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invisible glass and a microfiber towel for me. I don't use any shiny stuff on my interior parts. I use the armor all cleaner and that is it. The natural shine stuff comes in handy sometimes but still can be oily.
Old 08-19-15, 05:04 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Just to hop into this really fast, since it's relevant.

I have a 1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster as a project, and the glass has gotten a little fogged up over its 68 years. Trying to skip spending $650 on new glass for the sides and front windows. Anyone have any miracle tips to help clean up glass? I normally will use Stoner's and a mf cloth, but it's just not doing the trick.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by SonicMotor; 08-19-15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 08:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by KJG92
Invisible glass and a microfiber towel for me.
That's what I learned from reading this forum. Now my wife uses that method for all the house windows, cabinet windows and mirrors. Much better than Windex and paper towels.
Old 08-20-15, 12:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Invisible Glass and microfiber towels here. The key to having perfect glass with no streaks, film or haze left behind (and months of perfect looking clean inside glass) is to make absolutely sure the glass is buffed or polished completely (totally) dry of any liquid layer regardless of how thin it may be, and that includes even if you used pure water. I use a cleaning towel to clean the glass, a wiping towel to do it a 2nd time, and before the liquid film has a chance to dry I buff polish the glass with totally dry towels to remove any liquid film. Any remaining liquid film that is not dried completely with a dry towel is what leaves behind the haze that appears in a few days. Even using pure water - the glass must be completely dried (buffed) with a totally dry towel.