Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New 2017 ES detailing ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 05:36 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New 2017 ES detailing ??

After reading everyone's thoughts on new cars, I decided to go ahead and detail mine out today. (Picked it up 4 days ago). I have never detailed a new car, figuring they come from the dealership already waxed and detailed.

Long story short, I washed it and started the next step of claying it, even though the finish already felt slick. Well, I was right. The clay did not pick up one thing! Didn't feel any different after the process than it did before! Lexus must do an excellent job with their new cars before putting them in the hands of the owner. Either that or I got real lucky! Anyway, I did go ahead and put two coats of Meguiars Ultimate wax! I think I'm ready to drive it now!!

That Atomic Silver is absolutely beautiful !!!
Old 07-28-17, 05:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

But, I would had used Iron X prior to claying. This stuff will take off the iron particles/containment that are hard to see, and clay. Especially, on a silver car.

Other than that, I'm surpirse that the dealers actually did a good job? lol. Normally, I NEVER let the dealer touch my car.
Old 07-31-17, 08:37 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Iron X is a completely optional step. In this case, it would have been a complete waste of product and money as the owner determined the paint was not contaminated at all. If a vehicle is heavily contaminated, iron and tar removers are a quick, easy way to remove certain contaminants and therefore reduce the amount of time spent claying.

OP - sounds like you got lucky We dealt with new cars on a regular basis, and while the majority of them do get "cleaned" at the dealer, it was not uncommon to have to do a full paint correction on a brand new vehicle if the dealership detailers had been allowed to get their hands on the car. There is a big difference between clean paint and perfect paint.

Post up some pics of that shiny new ride!