Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Gyeon Q2 Mohs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 12:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I washed the car and reapplied cure last night. This is the 1st car wash since the initial coating 3 months ago. I forgot to take a picture of how dirty the car was before I started.

Cleaned the wheels and rinsed off the loose dirt:

It still looks nice even though it's filthy

There were a couple of bird droppings that I had to scrub on the hood, and with the level of dirt on the paint I ended up putting some light scratches into the finish. Overall, the coating is still holding up nicely, but the cure was on it's last leg (based on feel and paint slickness).

I'm the most impressed by how well the headlights have held up with only Mohs protecting them.
Old 09-29-17, 11:55 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I washed the car and reapplied cure last night. This is the 1st car wash since the initial coating 3 months ago. I forgot to take a picture of how dirty the car was before I started.

Cleaned the wheels and rinsed off the loose dirt:

It still looks nice even though it's filthy

There were a couple of bird droppings that I had to scrub on the hood, and with the level of dirt on the paint I ended up putting some light scratches into the finish. Overall, the coating is still holding up nicely, but the cure was on it's last leg (based on feel and paint slickness).

I'm the most impressed by how well the headlights have held up with only Mohs protecting them.
Nice! Its always a good idea to put the protection onto the headlights/tails as well it prevents them from yellowing from sun, bug guts etching into the finish and keeps them looking newer longer, some original headlights start to yellow very quickly too. It also helps to use it on the windshield, you'll never have to replace a wiper ever again.
Old 09-29-17, 03:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k20trick
Nice! Its always a good idea to put the protection onto the headlights/tails as well it prevents them from yellowing from sun, bug guts etching into the finish and keeps them looking newer longer, some original headlights start to yellow very quickly too. It also helps to use it on the windshield, you'll never have to replace a wiper ever again.
The wiper blade refills are only $7 from the dealer. I replace them yearly anyways, but I get your point.
Old 10-01-17, 05:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Cure has an estimated life of 8 weeks, so given you hadn't washed the car in well past 8 weeks, seems pretty good to me

I just got a bunch of stuff from Gyeon to test/review, including Mohs paint coating... I'm really looking forward to it as I have heard great things.
Old 10-01-17, 08:02 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Cure has an estimated life of 8 weeks, so given you hadn't washed the car in well past 8 weeks, seems pretty good to me

I just got a bunch of stuff from Gyeon to test/review, including Mohs paint coating... I'm really looking forward to it as I have heard great things.
I usually reapply cure every 6 weeks, but I let this car lapse to see what would happen.

The Mohs is really easy to work with. It goes on and off with minimal effort. My only complaint is that it requires a minimum of 2 layers for even coverage. That's 2x the chance to potentially miss a spot.
Old 11-25-17, 07:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It's been 8 weeks since my last application of cure, and so far the cure is still holding up. It isn't quite as smooth as new, but it still has some life. I guess it dies off some time around 8 to 12 weeks.

8 weeks worth of dirt:

The gyeon Mohs is starting to go on the passenger headlight after 5 months.

The driver side still seems to be holding up.

Reapplied cure just to be safe.

Old 08-28-19, 10:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I brought the IS home recently and wanted to give an update on the coating time line.

At 15 months (12k miles): the coating was still going and the car looked great.

At 25 months (16k miles) since the coating install: Gyeon Mohs is dead. The car hasn't been driven for some time and it was baking in the sun under a thick layer of dirt. The car had to be washed 3x + a couple rounds of IronX to get it clean. The part that surprised me was the lower 1/3rd of the car was still sheeting water like the coating was healthy.

There was so much contamination in the paint, I forgot if this was the 2nd, or 3rd round of IronX

I forgot to take a picture of the whole car when I finished, but after the wash the car still looked nicer than before the coating was applied. I applied some Gtechniq C2v3 and called it a day.

Overall, if I had taken better care of the IS, then I think the coating would still be doing alright. I would guess the car was washed anywhere from 5-10 times over the last 2 years. Gyeon mohs is only rated to last up to 1 year, it died some time between 1.25 and 2 years on a neglected car. Which isn't bad at all.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I installed Mohs on a couple garage queens that get driven less than 2k miles a year and get washed once a month. They're all going strong at the 1 year mark, so how you care for the car plays a big role in the life of the coating.