Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Gyeon Q2 Mohs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 08:38 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Gyeon Q2 Mohs

I bought this coating a while ago, but I never installed it. I was originally looking for a clean black car to coat because I wanted to see how hard the coating really was. After many months without using it, I decided to settle for what I already had to work with.

I started off my morning smelling like IronX and Sonax Full Effect

The rear bumper still had a lot of contaminates, so I decided I would just clay the entire car

This is after IronX > Nanolex Prewash concentrate > some more IronX> Gyeon Clay lube + ricardo clay bars > another wash. Car is clean, but it is looking a little dull

The headlights were bad, so they had to be addressed. Process was wet sanding with 800 > 1500 > 3000 > plastic polish

Final outcome with the lights

After cleaning up the mess I made from polishing the lights, I pulled the car into the garage for polishing.

My polish of choice was M205 with a combination of Lake country orange foam cutting and white foam polishing pads.

Some of the before and after of marks that had to be addressed

After:

After polishing, I did a wipe down with Carpro eraser and started to apply Gyeon Mohs

The process with Mohs is pretty standard, work a 2x2 area. Wait 30 seconds to 2 minutes for the product to flash, and wipe off. This was after the 1st layer was installed:

After the 1st layer I had this much product left from a 50mL bottle (right bottle)

It was recommended to wait at least an hour after the 1st layer to apply the 2nd layer, so I waited an hour before continuing

When I was done I had this much product left from a 50mL kit (right bottle)

I went back and added a 3rd layer to the headlights

The entire process took about 10.5 to 11 hours (from removing the license plates until finishing the 2nd layer of Mohs). This doesn't include clean up time, and there is a lot to clean up. lol The car has to sit in the garage for 12 to 24 hours before driving. Gyeon recommends 24 hours before driving the car and 7 days before washing the car. After 12 hours, it's recommended to apply a layer of Gyeon cure (which is included in the kit), and follow up with additional layers every 6 to 8 weeks. The initial application of cure is to help aid water spot prevention while the Mohs is curing. I'm still waiting for the 12 hour mark to pass, as I write this.

For those of you looking to DIY, have a lot of lights on hand. A few of the lights in my garage burned out, so I had less light than I usually would. I was being lazy about bringing out my LED panel lights, and I opted to use my custom built LED flashlights instead. This was working fine, until the last layer when I was getting tired and started rushing. I ended up missing 2 spots and not wiping it off cleanly.

Overall, I would say Gyeon Mohs is a lot easier to install than Gtechniq CSL. The product goes on and off effortlessly (assuming you wipe all of it).
Old 07-02-17, 08:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks great. That color is very nice when it's clean...but keeping it clean is another story (coated or uncoated....especially if you have the IS-F that has horrible brake dust like mine).

BTW, you're a brave man for using iron-x on your personal driveway. I did that years ago ONCE in the summer and I could never rinse out my driveway completely. I never wash in the sun, but after using iron-x , the sun baked it into the driveway asphalt and it smelled like rotten eggs for at least a good month. Even rain did not help. Ever since then, I only use iron-x in a place that has a drain.
Old 07-02-17, 08:59 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My driveway is steep enough that everything drains quickly. If the ironx leaves a residual smell in the street after drying, then my neighbors have to deal with it. lol
Old 07-02-17, 09:58 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Layer 1 is on the left and Layer 2 is on the right

The mohs has a feeling similar to decontaminated paint. It's smooth, but not slick. I applied some Gyeon cure (one of my favorite sealants) and everything is nice and slick now.

I'll have to wait until later in the day for the sun to come out to get a real feel for how it looks. As of right now, it basically looks like I washed the car and sprayed cure on it. lol
Old 07-02-17, 10:50 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Excellent work. Looks like she just rolled off the showroom floor. Might have to give this stuff a shot someday.
Old 07-02-17, 11:52 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice gj on the car! Im not really a fan of white because the before and after isn't as drastic unless the paint is heavily swirled, stained, or oxidized, however I do have to admit that I like the deep wet glow that white paint! White should always look lustrous as this... Definitely a lot of work

How are you liking the gyeon so far?
Old 07-02-17, 01:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Excellent work. Looks like she just rolled off the showroom floor. Might have to give this stuff a shot someday.
I would recommend giving Gyeon cure a try if you don't want to commit to this entire process.

Originally Posted by k20trick
Nice gj on the car! Im not really a fan of white because the before and after isn't as drastic unless the paint is heavily swirled, stained, or oxidized, however I do have to admit that I like the deep wet glow that white paint! White should always look lustrous as this... Definitely a lot of work

How are you liking the gyeon so far?
I know what you mean about white cars, but its so much easier to care for compared to black.

Mohs is known for its durability and hardness. I can't really test that until the coating fully cures in a few weeks. It's only been about 15 hours of curing, but it looks like I applied gyeon cure.

Some sun photos of 2 layers of Mohs + Gyeon cure

In comparison to my usual routine of Nanolex Washcoat + Gyeon cure on this car:

The type of white paint makes a big difference too. My SC is diamond white pearl with Gtechniq CSL + EXO v2, and it shines so much more when the sun hits it.

Old 07-03-17, 03:56 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I would recommend giving Gyeon cure a try if you don't want to commit to this entire process.

I know what you mean about white cars, but its so much easier to care for compared to black.

Mohs is known for its durability and hardness. I can't really test that until the coating fully cures in a few weeks. It's only been about 15 hours of curing, but it looks like I applied gyeon cure.

Some sun photos of 2 layers of Mohs + Gyeon cure

In comparison to my usual routine of Nanolex Washcoat + Gyeon cure on this car:

The type of white paint makes a big difference too. My SC is diamond white pearl with Gtechniq CSL + EXO v2, and it shines so much more when the sun hits it.

Old 07-03-17, 04:08 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Excellent results!
Old 07-04-17, 08:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Thanks guys! The coating is starting to look better as it hardens.

I parked the car outside last night, so it got its first morning dew.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 09-28-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 03:44 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow, that's very impressive, and I know how much effort went into that job.

Awesome!
Old 07-10-17, 09:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FastFord
Wow, that's very impressive, and I know how much effort went into that job.

Awesome!
Thanks, I just hope it's worth it in the end. I want to attempt scratching the car to see how it'll hold up, but I'm also too scared to do it.
Old 07-11-17, 07:08 AM
FastFord
Racer

Don't do that!!! Cars have a way of scratching themselves. Shopping centers, parking lots, washing, people walking along side with their giant backpacks,etc...I'm sure in time your beautiful detail work will find a scratch!

Out of 56 cars, I have never owned a white vehicle. I didn't know they could have such a deep reflective shine. Might have to reconsider for the next one.
Old 07-11-17, 04:44 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FastFord
Don't do that!!! Cars have a way of scratching themselves. Shopping centers, parking lots, washing, people walking along side with their giant backpacks,etc...I'm sure in time your beautiful detail work will find a scratch!

Out of 56 cars, I have never owned a white vehicle. I didn't know they could have such a deep reflective shine. Might have to reconsider for the next one.
That may be true, but it won't be a controlled test. With me intentionally scratching it, I'll have a relative idea of how much force is involved before the paint gets scratched.

White cars are nice when they're clean, but it doesn't provide the same satisfaction and frustration as owning a black car.
Old 07-12-17, 02:13 PM
FastFord
Racer

My days of frustration are over! Owning a black vehicle is a young person's sport!

Quick Reply: Gyeon Q2 Mohs