Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Peeling Leather (warranty?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 01:51 AM
foureight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peeling Leather (warranty?)

I just bought a pre-owned 2015 Lexus RC 350 from CarMax and I just noticed that the leather seat on the driver side is has a piece peeled off. I've actually at 5 other RC 350 of the same year before buying this one and while the other seats were in "worse" conditions -- as in saggy cushion and creased leather, the leather itself was in normal wear condition. Unfortunately, I had overlooked this until a week and a half of owning the car. Since the car is still under Lexus warranty, do you guys know if this is covered? It's amazing that the leather can peel off in such a short time. I've owned an Acura TL prior to this car for 12 years driven daily and the leather seats in that car did not have this kind of issue.

Old 05-31-17, 06:26 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Should be covered under bumper to bumper warranty, even though it's a wear and tear item it's unnaceptible
Old 05-31-17, 12:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

That is a tough call.... that appears to be more than just typical wear. It looks like the seat has been damaged by something.

Playing devils advocate... it is kind of like someone going to the dealer and asking for a new fender because the paint got scratched and it really shouldn't do that.

But you don't know until you ask... so go give it a shot and see what they can do for you.
Old 06-01-17, 01:03 AM
foureight
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
That is a tough call.... that appears to be more than just typical wear. It looks like the seat has been damaged by something.

Playing devils advocate... it is kind of like someone going to the dealer and asking for a new fender because the paint got scratched and it really shouldn't do that.

But you don't know until you ask... so go give it a shot and see what they can do for you.
Yea I do agree. I have no idea how careless the previous owner was and caused the excessive wear or it was a build quality issue exacerbated by an ambivalent owner. Regardless, I did go to the dealership in the morning and they have contacted Lexus for advice. I'm waiting to hear back from them in the next few days. Regardless I'm gonna have that patched so it doesn't get worse.
Old 06-01-17, 07:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I don't believe a "patch" is the proper fix here... a leather repair expert should be able to simply fill the area (if needed) and then dye the exposed surface to match the surrounding leather. I don't think it is a particularly difficult job for someone who knows what they're doing. In fact, there are plenty of kits available online to DIY this type of thing if Lexus can't help you and DIY is more your style.
Old 06-02-17, 09:03 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

that doesn't look like leather.. real leather would crack if it was dried out. that looks more like the synthetic material that lexus puts in their cars.

looking at the lexus "build your car" page. it doesn't even look like roja red leather is even an option on the 2017 RC's
Old 06-03-17, 01:25 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Twidge
that doesn't look like leather.. real leather would crack if it was dried out. that looks more like the synthetic material that lexus puts in their cars.

looking at the lexus "build your car" page. it doesn't even look like roja red leather is even an option on the 2017 RC's
Interesting... after you mentioned it, I looked at the pic closer, and it doesn't appear to be exposed leather. Looks more like a fabric type material. Seems odd.
Old 06-03-17, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,976 Posts

It's NuLuxe. All the F Sport IS and RC models are NuLuxe I believe.
Old 06-04-17, 05:59 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Most all leather seats wear in that area. And by now you'd think one of the brilliant engineers would come up with a fix for that. Like maybe a replaceable wear pad?
Old 07-30-17, 11:13 PM
PhilipD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foureight
Yea I do agree. I have no idea how careless the previous owner was and caused the excessive wear or it was a build quality issue exacerbated by an ambivalent owner. Regardless, I did go to the dealership in the morning and they have contacted Lexus for advice. I'm waiting to hear back from them in the next few days. Regardless I'm gonna have that patched so it doesn't get worse.
How did this turn out for you? Was this covered under warranty. I also have the same issue and same area of peeling on my rioja red nuluxe driver seat.