Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating - Hard to do yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 05:32 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating - Hard to do yourself?

Looking for tips and the best way to go about doing yourself or is it better of having a pro do it?
Old 02-17-17, 05:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Depends on which one.

Anybody can apply the coating. How it looks when you look at it in the sun or with a light is a different story.

Most people will say about their vehicle "my car looks perfect" but bring it to a pro and he will hit you with 10 things that are probably wrong with the detail work you did or other imperfections that common people do not see.
Old 02-17-17, 06:01 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Depends on which one.

Anybody can apply the coating. How it looks when you look at it in the sun or with a light is a different story.

Most people will say about their vehicle "my car looks perfect" but bring it to a pro and he will hit you with 10 things that are probably wrong with the detail work you did or other imperfections that common people do not see.
Ceramic Pro or opti coat I was thinking or maybe the chemical guys carbon flex c9.
Old 02-17-17, 06:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

You can't purchase Ceramic Pro or Opti Coat.

Even if you become authorized and buy them, they are among the most PITA coatings to work with. I personally do not see a benefit to them for a number of reasons (outrageous claims in durability, difficult application, numerous coats on the ceramic pro is a hassle and can lead to high spots, marring, etc.). Good products, they work well, but not THAT much better than similar brands that are easier to apply and still give you most of the same properties.

Much more user friendly products out there that deliver all of their claims. Look at 22PLE or GTechniq
Old 02-17-17, 06:21 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Even if you become authorized and buy them, they are among the most PITA coatings to work with. I personally do not see a benefit to them for a number of reasons (outrageous claims in durability, difficult application, numerous coats on the ceramic pro is a hassle and can lead to high spots, marring, etc.). Good products, they work well, but not THAT much better than similar brands that are easier to apply and still give you most of the same properties.

Much more user friendly products out there that deliver all of their claims. Look at 22PLE or GTechniq
Any input on the chemical guys version?
Old 02-18-17, 08:04 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So 22PLE and GTechniq are almost as good as the other ones? 99%? and which one is easiest to apply? 22PLE?
Old 02-18-17, 08:14 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Break2
Any input on the chemical guys version?
Never heard of it.

Not a fan of anything by Chemical Guys. Their shampoos are OKAY but everything else.... lol
Old 02-18-17, 08:19 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
So 22PLE and GTechniq are almost as good as the other ones? 99%? and which one is easiest to apply? 22PLE?
There is no clear cut "just as good" "on par" or "better" with any of these coatings.

Some coatings will bead/sheet better and tighter than others, some have longer longevity, some go on in a thicker layer due to multiple recommended coats, some claim a harder surface upon curing.

These are all claims. I stopped believing manufacturer claims years ago after Opti Coat switched their labels from "permanent" to "5 year" durability due to so many people complaining. Even now, you're never getting 5 years of good beading out of opti coat on a vehicle that is routinely used and washed with even a mild soap solution. They will always tell you "the coating is still there" just no longer showing physical signs of it. So all you really have is their word. The coatings are not thick enough to measure and confirm any of this.

22PLE and GTechniq from my experience are as good as some of the more known products. I'll gladly put 22PLE on my car over Opti Coat any day of the week.

And realize that prep work has alot to do with it, don't just wash your car and wipe the coating on expecting miracles. You should polish the paint to remove any old polish/wax and only then install the coating. Even if you're not polishing to remove swirls/scratches, it should still be done to clean the paint and allow the coating to stick better.
Old 02-18-17, 11:07 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
Looking for tips and the best way to go about doing yourself or is it better of having a pro do it?
It's a very meticulous process for application. I installed Gtechniq Crystal serum light topped with EXO v2 a few months back on my SC. It was my first time working with a coating. Work in a spacious garage with lots of lighting. You want the open space to be able to walk around and look at the car at different angles in order to see if you missed a spot. The more lighting you have the easier it is to spot residue. Do some research on the product you're working with and look up it's curing time. Use a timer and work one panel at a time, so if you mess up, then you only have to fix one panel.

In my garage I have 6 fluorescent light fixtures that I turn on when I detail cars. I also have a few standalone LED panel lights that I use in addition to a LED flashlight. I still missed 2 spots on my car (one on the passenger trim and the other was on the rear glass). I think the entire process took about 6-8 hours for polishing/prep work. About 2 hours to apply and remove CSL, then I waited a few hours and came back to apply the EXO which took another 1 or 2 hours. After that I just left the car in the garage for a day to cure.
Old 02-18-17, 11:46 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have to pic GTECH... CSL. Applied 22PLE to a previously owned 2013 GS 350 F Sport... OB. It was ok. Although better versions were released... I applied this back in 2012... as stated, " it was ok "...
Old 02-18-17, 11:48 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
It's a very meticulous process for application. I installed Gtechniq Crystal serum light topped with EXO v2 a few months back on my SC. It was my first time working with a coating. Work in a spacious garage with lots of lighting. You want the open space to be able to walk around and look at the car at different angles in order to see if you missed a spot. The more lighting you have the easier it is to spot residue. Do some research on the product you're working with and look up it's curing time. Use a timer and work one panel at a time, so if you mess up, then you only have to fix one panel.

In my garage I have 6 fluorescent light fixtures that I turn on when I detail cars. I also have a few standalone LED panel lights that I use in addition to a LED flashlight. I still missed 2 spots on my car (one on the passenger trim and the other was on the rear glass). I think the entire process took about 6-8 hours for polishing/prep work. About 2 hours to apply and remove CSL, then I waited a few hours and came back to apply the EXO which took another 1 or 2 hours. After that I just left the car in the garage for a day to cure.
that week of waiting before full cure and waiting to wash the car is the worst...
Old 02-18-17, 11:51 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

I have Kenotek Kenolon Ceramic V1 on my car and I am happy with it... use Nanolex washcoat as a maintenance upkeep twice a month and wash her with ONR and pamper her with Nanolex final finish while the car is still wet...
Old 02-18-17, 12:03 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
that week of waiting before full cure and waiting to wash the car is the worst...
I applied the coating right before I sent my coilovers out to be rebuilt, so I had to wait a few weeks to wash the car. While I waited, I used a pressurized water sprayer and leaf blower in my garage to test the coating. In hindsight, that was a really bad idea.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I have Kenotek Kenolon Ceramic V1 on my car and I am happy with it... use Nanolex washcoat as a maintenance upkeep twice a month and wash her with ONR and pamper her with Nanolex final finish while the car is still wet...
Did final finish replace gyeon cure in your detailing routine?
Old 02-19-17, 05:11 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

And realize that prep work has alot to do with it, don't just wash your car and wipe the coating on expecting miracles. You should polish the paint to remove any old polish/wax and only then install the coating. Even if you're not polishing to remove swirls/scratches, it should still be done to clean the paint and allow the coating to stick better.
I just bought a used SC and the paint(red) is in remarkable condition. My original plan was to do a full polish and sealant...thinking this 10 year old car would be riddled with swirl marks...but it wasn't. Almost no blemishes and no swirl. It beads extremely well. I wanted to apply a sealant and top with wax.Now I think the car must have been coated...now Idon't know whether to polish and seal...or just seal...or just wax. This was bought from a dealer...so I can't ask previous owner.

Any suggestions...and thanks to all that reply.
Old 02-19-17, 07:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Opti Coat is a professional grade coating so difficult to work with. Opti gloss coat is a consumer grade coating that's very easy to apply. It takes a couple hours as you have to apply each panel carefully. It will last about 2 years then you'll have to re coat the car.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating - Hard to do yourself?