Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to remove light scratches from bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 11:33 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How to remove light scratches from bumper?

This morning I discovered on my rear bumper very light scratches that are bugging me, I have a dark color so there very visible to me. They are not finger nail deep so does anyone have any tips on removing the scratches?
Old 11-19-16, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

By hand I would try a product like Meguiars Scratch X or Formula 1 Scratch Out. Make sure you get some good microfiber towels, and I would use a foam applicator pad to work the product in so you don't have any marring left behind.
Old 11-19-16, 12:10 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
By hand I would try a product like Meguiars Scratch X or Formula 1 Scratch Out. Make sure you get some good microfiber towels, and I would use a foam applicator pad to work the product in so you don't have any marring left behind.
Thanks man. Do you think compound would work or no? I also read online to use toothpaste.
Old 11-19-16, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, don't use anything like that by hand. Use a mild polish designed to do exactly what it is you're trying to do, rub out minor scratches by hand.

Toothpaste? God no.
Old 11-19-16, 12:23 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

No, don't use anything like that by hand. Use a mild polish designed to do exactly what it is you're trying to do, rub out minor scratches by hand.

Toothpaste? God no.
It's the meguaires one that is designed for hand use. And ok no toothpaste. Got it. Cause I don't have the scratch x on hand.
Old 11-19-16, 12:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Since the 2015 model year, Lexus has been using a "self-healing" paint on the ES. For very minor scratches, over time and with heat from the sun, those scratches are supposed to heal themselves. I don't have any experience with the self-healing paint, but I point this out because, in the vehicle manual and in other information from Lexus, they say that you need to be careful not to use any abrasive polishes on the self-healing finish. Doing so can, not only remove self-healing coat, but it also has the potential of permanently dulling the finish.

Normally, body shops and detailers would use something like 3M Hand Glaze to remove surface scratches, but even that product or the Maquiar's products contain mild abrasives. If it was my car, I might talk with a detailer who has experience with the self-healing paint before I tried using anything with even a mild abrasive.
Old 11-19-16, 12:47 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have used ScratchX on the ES350 with no adverse issues. And the self healing coating does work. There was a scratch in my finish when I bought the car. And before I could get back to the dealer for final touchups it had disappeared (1 week or so)

If you are really worried about hurting the finish, use something like Meguiar's Polish. Or something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QAG2EW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just used that to polish my Honda in prep for selling it and it covered many of the swirl marks in the finish. (22 year old car) Works very well and easy to apply and remove.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove light scratches from bumper?-pass-side.jpg  
Old 11-19-16, 01:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Adding to what I posted above, there are a number of threads on this board about the Lexus self-healing paint. I've read most of them and other similar threads on other boards, and the posts about what is safe to use with the self-healing paint and what is not safe to use are all over the place. If you read through those threads, you will find examples where someone posts saying that a particular product is safe. Then, a few posts down, someone else will post pictures of a finish that has been permanently damaged by using the same product.

Lexus has been using the self-healing paint on some models for several years, and I believe that Nissan has also been using its version of self-healing paint for a while. I'm sure that the detailers at both Lexus and Nissan dealers have had, by now, considerable experience with self-healing paint, and they should be able to tell you what is okay and what can potentially damage the finish.

I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say because, on Monday, I'll be picking up a 2017 ES, and that will be my first experience with self-healing paint. Over the years, I've become pretty skilled at using various 3M products to remove minor surface scratches, polishing swirls, etc. on cars with traditional clear coat finishes. Since the new vehicle will be black, I'm sure that I'll have a need to work on surface scratches, but, before I try anything, I want to know that what I'm doing with the self-healing paint isn't going to be something that ends up causing me to have to have a bumper or quarter panel refinished.
Old 11-19-16, 01:19 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
I have used ScratchX on the ES350 with no adverse issues. And the self healing coating does work. There was a scratch in my finish when I bought the car. And before I could get back to the dealer for final touchups it had disappeared (1 week or so)

If you are really worried about hurting the finish, use something like Meguiar's Polish. Or something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QAG2EW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just used that to polish my Honda in prep for selling it and it covered many of the swirl marks in the finish. (22 year old car) Works very well and easy to apply and remove.
Will be doing that this weekend.
Old 11-19-16, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
It's the meguaires one that is designed for hand use. And ok no toothpaste. Got it. Cause I don't have the scratch x on hand.
Go buy some. You're better off to go get the right product.

I've used both the products I mentioned on Lexus self healing paint with no problems.
Old 11-19-16, 02:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Go buy some. You're better off to go get the right product.

I've used both the products I mentioned on Lexus self healing paint with no problems.
Ok I will go do that
Old 11-19-16, 05:05 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had very good results with a product called Quixx - comes in a kit with a couple of different compounds for different scratch depths & a cloth to apply them with. Other products mentioned are probably great as well so be sure to share the results you get with whatever one you pick

A few application points to consider:
- warm or hot day imay make it easier (but not in direct sun). Cold temps seemed to take more effort
- begin with small amount of compound & work on a small area & see how it goes. Once you're sure off the result & amount of time & effort it takes, you can adjust accordingly for the rest of the scratch
- go across the scratch, not with it. It takes some pressure & time so it's not like doing a normal wax job, but the results are worth it.
- after the scratches are gone, polish & wax the general area with whatever you normally use