Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Splatter stains on rear bumper where the paint and plastic molding meet

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 04:34 PM
illad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splatter stains on rear bumper where the paint and plastic molding meet

Hi all,

New to the forum and very much enjoying my new 2016 RX, I've had it for about 2 months now and after washing the car 2 days ago, I noticed these splatter stains on the rear lower bumper where the paint meets the plastic molding (same stains on the other side of the bumper). I've tried some Meguiars quick detailer and bug and tar remover and the stains are still there. Anyone have an idea what this is? Or what products you recommend to remove the stains? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Splatter stains on rear bumper where the paint and plastic molding meet-img_4474.jpg  
Old 10-19-16, 08:24 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

That looks like sling from tire shine. I haven't found a way of removing it. It usually goes away on its own after a couple months.
Old 10-20-16, 03:40 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with jvm0685. Most likely tire shine and will most likely go away over time.

You can also try a compound followed by polish and then wax. Otherwise, leave it alone.
Old 10-20-16, 05:50 AM
illad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! Just can't believe tire shine would do that to the paint.
Old 10-20-16, 09:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What you're most likely seeing is the silicone based tire dressing that are used in dealerships and cheap detail shops. Many over the counter tire shines are also silicone based, so stay away from those. They leave a ridiculously shiny looking tire, but it slings everywhere and it stains. This may or may not go away on its own. As you've found out, it will not simply wash away with a car wash or chemical, which indicates that it has stained the surface (penetrated into the clear coat). You may try using a polish or rubbing compound in those areas to see if you can remove it.

In the future, avoid any sort of silicone based dressings and only use a water based dressing. They will soak into the rubber and will be nearly dry to the touch, so you will have no slinging. If you over apply and some slings off, the water based formula will wipe away easily without issue.

Refer to the following article for tips on proper application as well as which tire dressings I recommend.

How to Avoid Tire Dressing Sling
by Zach McGovern
Old 10-30-16, 02:41 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a polishing compound with good force, like the ultimate compound