Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Has anyone used a spray paint + clear coat before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 05:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Has anyone used a spray paint + clear coat before?

I need to repaint my roof spoiler and I do not want to pay $150. It's a relativley small part, I'll be able to do it myself.

I'm thinking I can just sand the old paint down, then spray some primer and apply 2 - 3 coats of the base. At the end just clear coat it.

My problem is, I'm not sure which brand makes the best paint.

If anyone has any experience in this area, let me know.

Thnx
Old 06-12-16, 06:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

automotivetouchup.com

don't need that many coats of base. just enough paint to get full coverage. You're better off to add extra coats of clearcoat for more depth and uv protection.
Old 06-12-16, 10:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I repainted my spoiler which was crazing and looking bad. I researched for a little bit, was going to just go with enamel or lacquer paints and clearcoats you get at auto stores until I read they cc won't last and gas and other chemicals will damage it.

After doing more research I decided to go with base coat/clearcoat system with pre mixed urethane aerosol paint and a 2K Clearcoat, Spraymax and Eastwood make and sell a 2K clearcoat that will withstand gasoline and other chemicals and will last years. I decided on urethane because enamel or lacquer may have a bad reaction with the 2K clear and urethane is what they spray at the factory. Any paint shop near you should be able to mix you a color matched aerosol can, it will cost around $20 per can, the clearcoat will cost about $20 or $30 and you will need a respirator when using the 2K clearcoat, that is very important. You should only need 1 can of paint and 1 can of clearcoat for your spoiler.

I sanded the spoiler and got most of the crazing out but should have sanded it better because after I primered it I could still see some crazing which did not all go away even when I was done spraying. I did use a regular primer from Duron before I sprayed my spoiler, I don't think they make a urethane spray primer or gel coat, either way it did not seem to have a any negative effect. I practiced a bit before I sprayed, since the basecoat spray has no clearcoat it is going to go on pretty flat and will look pretty bad, don't worry, once the clearcoat is sprayed it will add all the gloss back and it will match your finish. Practice with the clearcoat, it needs to go on wet but try to avoid runs and going too heavy in spots. You will have to do some wet sanding and polishing afterwards but you can get very good results.

My dad did the top of his rear bumper and some spots on his hood last year and it turned out really good, he is better at spraying then I am but he has no experience spraying car parts, just models. I don't think he used any primer either, just sanded down the crazed clear to he thought he was into paint and then painted it. He too the bumper off so he could get a good line, again it looked bad at first because there was no gloss but the clear coat added the gloss and it was a perfect match, the silver flakes in the paint even matched perfectly to the original finish.

Last edited by UDel; 06-12-16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 02:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the info guys!