Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question for XPEL owners, to fix or remove?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 11:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
yup i have the video, but it's only for the body. for headlight they just have pics, etc...
The video I have includes footage on the headlights. Of course it is the BMW headlights and not the GS, but they do explain it.
Old 03-02-16, 08:19 AM
BillitZky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the owner of GX470 yr2003 with 91Kmiles on it. In 2003, Xpel film was installed on the head lamp, bumper, side mirrors and about 1/3 of the hood for obvious reason for chip protection. It was installed by a third party. The film looks great until 2015 when it shows multiple line cracks on the section of the hood, the headlamps and bumpers xpel are still OK. The xpel on the hood looks very ugly and would like to know any recommendation for removal. I tried to remove it manually by pealing it but it will not come out entirely and it breaks from the hairline cracks. Any tricks how to remove it.
Old 03-02-16, 10:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You're in for a battle... Xpel film is very high quality, but this is very old film that sounds like it was not properly cared for as it shouldn't ever crack spontaneously.

Heat & solvents (or steam if you have it!) are your friend when removing film. Heat up the film, lift an edge and pull the film up and towards you as shown in the image below (don't peel it off like a band aid where you pull it across itself). Since yours is cracked all over, you will likely just have to deal with the little pieces that come off. It will be a tedious job.

image borrowed from google search
Old 03-02-16, 10:44 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah i agree with Zach, unless you got alot of time and patience I would not even attempt to do it yourself.

First off, I HATE Xpel with a passion not only because it's a very crappy looking film compared to other brands, but because the adhesive they use is not removal friendly. No matter who did the install or how long it's been, compared to films like SunTek, Xpel will always be a more PITA to remove. Often leaving the entire adhesive layer on the paint with only the top urethane layer removed.

It's an old school product. You often times have to take drastic measures to remove the remnants of the film and end up having to "roughen up the paint" beneath to get it completely off which I am not a fan of.

I would call around and see if someone in your area is willing to do it for reasonable price although you don't know what you're getting into (if it will end up being a half hour job or 5 hours).
Old 03-03-16, 06:59 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Yeah i agree with Zach, unless you got alot of time and patience I would not even attempt to do it yourself.

First off, I HATE Xpel with a passion not only because it's a very crappy looking film compared to other brands, but because the adhesive they use is not removal friendly. No matter who did the install or how long it's been, compared to films like SunTek, Xpel will always be a more PITA to remove. Often leaving the entire adhesive layer on the paint with only the top urethane layer removed.

It's an old school product. You often times have to take drastic measures to remove the remnants of the film and end up having to "roughen up the paint" beneath to get it completely off which I am not a fan of.

I would call around and see if someone in your area is willing to do it for reasonable price although you don't know what you're getting into (if it will end up being a half hour job or 5 hours).
I wonder which Xpel film do you refer to? Because I have no problem in removing Xpel Ultimate film off the paint. To me, it is similar to Ventureshield Ultra in terms of the ease of removal.

And talking about crappy looking film, I suspect you referred to the XPEL Value film which is not my favourite. I find that one is unacceptably crappy looking.
Old 03-03-16, 07:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndyL
I wonder which Xpel film do you refer to? Because I have no problem in removing Xpel Ultimate film off the paint. To me, it is similar to Ventureshield Ultra in terms of the ease of removal.

And talking about crappy looking film, I suspect you referred to the XPEL Value film which is not my favourite. I find that one is unacceptably crappy looking.
Ventureshield? You still use that lol?

I am referring to XPEL Ultimate...

Compared to Ventureshield, I guess it's not a bad looking film, but both are atrocious looking/workability compared to SunTek.

Try using it and you will never want to touch Xpel again.
Old 03-03-16, 07:16 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Ventureshield? You still use that lol?

I am referring to XPEL Ultimate...

Compared to Ventureshield, I guess it's not a bad looking film, but both are atrocious looking/workability compared to SunTek.

Try using it and you will never want to touch Xpel again.
Ventureshield -- Not anymore. LOL. I find its stain and scratch resistance are not as good as Xpel Ultimate.

Suntek --- I heard some good thing about it but haven't had a chance to try it. Is it much clearer than Ventureshield Ultimate in terms of texture?
Old 03-03-16, 07:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndyL
Ventureshield -- Not anymore. LOL. I find its stain and scratch resistance are not as good as Xpel Ultimate.

Suntek --- I heard some good thing about it but haven't had a chance to try it. Is it much clearer than Ventureshield Ultimate in terms of texture?
It blows anything Ventureshiled and Xpel completely out of the water looks wise. End of story.

We still use both Xpel Ultimate for some customers that really want it (I don't know why aside from longer warranty). Any time we have some vehicles at the shop where one has a suntek ppf and other xpel, the vehicle with Xpel looks like it's got a product from the Dinosour era.