Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

High grade protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 03:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default High grade protectant

So when and or where is there a DIY coating? Sorry I can't warrant spending 800 to have a marginal condition 1000 dollar car coated. I just want the paint protected for the same 5 years or so that opti coat will do.
Old 01-09-16, 06:51 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CQuartz is a cheaper option that is a ceramic coating. Remember, what is available to professional detailers is not available to the common consumer. Detailers are licensed to use certain coatings. The level of protection/durability is the reason why the price is so high as compared to what the DIY'rs can buy. The over the counter coatings will last a year or two.
Old 01-09-16, 09:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

If you want to do it yourself, there are a ton of options available. You clearly did NOT do an ounce of research on this.

Because I am such a nice guy, I will give you a few brands of coatings that you might want to look at.

22PLE, Gtechniq, CQuartz, Wolfs Chemicals, Gloss-Coat.
Old 01-10-16, 07:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So when and or where is there a DIY coating? Sorry I can't warrant spending 800 to have a marginal condition 1000 dollar car coated. I just want the paint protected for the same 5 years or so that opti coat will do.
Most coatings will claim ~2 years of durable life... this is because hydrophobic properties will likely begin to fade after 12-24 months depending on the environmental conditions and maintenance routine. However, water beading does not equal protection, therefore as long as you are not using an abrasive (compound or polish) on the vehicle, the coating is still theoretically in tact for well past 2 years, and hydrophobic properties can be boosted with the use of a spray wax/sealant after washing.

As others have mentioned, there are already MANY threads on this topic, however here are some great options for consumer grade coatings. Keep in mind many pros also use these products as cheaper alternatives to the professional-grade products as many consumers fall into the same boat as you and do not want to spend $1000+ for the higher end products. We use 22ple VX3 and CQuartz Classic & UK for our 'standard' coatings and they are fantastic!

Consumer Grade Coatings:
22ple VX3 Signature Coating
CQuartz
22ple VXPro2
22ple HPC
CQuartz UK
Optimum Gloss Coat

Information and Reviews
What Coating Should I Buy? by Zach McGovern
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern
22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application by Zach McGovern
22ple High Performance Coating (HPC) – Product Overview and Application by Zach McGovern
Product Review & Application: 22ple VX Pro2 by Zach McGovern
Product Review: CarPro Cquartz UK Edition by Zach McGovern
CarPro Cquartz UK Edition: Application Process by Zach McGovern

Please do some reading and let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Zach
Old 01-11-16, 02:42 AM
FrancisKey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for me, I use Opticoat paint protection along with the magnetic cover I've got from http://dentgoalie.com brand when my car is in a parking lot. It simply sticks to your doors and protects the paint in parking lots and other places where you leave your car. Works perfect for me

Last edited by FrancisKey; 01-12-16 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 03:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The op asked for consumer products... Opticoat is only available to professionals.
Old 01-11-16, 11:17 AM
FrancisKey
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for that, I was not attentive enough.. So, I'd recommend using CQuartz instead
Old 01-12-16, 07:35 PM
crosseyes
Driver School Candidate

I have tried applying Opticoat on my car. It was very easy and fast. The only problem is how to control dust flying around when applying it.
Old 01-13-16, 06:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by crosseyes
I have tried applying Opticoat on my car. It was very easy and fast. The only problem is how to control dust flying around when applying it.
Light dust will not interfere with the coating application... If it did, there would be no consumer grade coating and pros would be required to work in a paint booth.

If you are in an overly dusty environment (ie outdoors in the pollen season), then it is best to find an enclosed area (garage) to work in.
Old 01-14-16, 06:04 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Here are a couple of others you can use.

The DIY coatings should yield 6 months to 2 years with proper maintenance.
Dr. Beasley's Nano Resin
Gyeon Primer
C.A.R Products Bullet Proof
Opti Gloss Coat
Old 01-16-16, 03:57 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by FrancisKey
As for me, I use Opticoat paint protection along with the magnetic cover I've got from http://dentgoalie.com brand when my car is in a parking lot. It simply sticks to your doors and protects the paint in parking lots and other places where you leave your car. Works perfect for me
These magnetic pads would be a great idea, IF THEY WERE WIDE ENOUGH. If it doesn't cover the whole side from rocker to window, the side can still get hit, its just what happens with inconsiderate people.