Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 09:30 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?

My car gets dirty after I wash it. What do you guys recommend?

Old 01-07-15, 09:37 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Justin,

What are you currently using? I assume it is a silicone based dressing. These are known to sling and can actually stain your paint and wheels.

I'd highly recommend a water based dressing such as CarPro PERL or Optimum Opti-Bond. Both of these dressings will be dry to the touch, and they will actually absorb into the rubber to help nourish the tire and keep it from drying out with regular use.

Product Review: CarPro PERL by Zach McGovern
Product REview: Optimum Opti-Bond by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-07-15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 09:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I recently went to Walmart for motor oil and stumbled upon Surf City tire dressing. I tried it and it was better than I expected. You can wipe your fingers onto the tire and it'll feel almost dry to the touch, almost like my Tuf Shine tire dressing. I was surprised to find something decent at a local store, Walmart of all place
Old 01-07-15, 03:24 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried tons and tons of tire shine. Tuf Tire Shine kit is the best for me. It is dry to touch, look glossy wet and clean for weeks and weeks. It is like a coating so it lasts very very long. It is a bit expensive but actually save you a lot of time, and money in the long run because you only need to do the cleaning once and apply the coat to refresh the shine every 1 or 2 months if you look for super wet glossy look. Other than that, it can last months without problem.

If you use this kit, make sure you CLEAN the tire using the cleaner and brush provided thoroughly many times until the foam is white before applying the coat.

http://www.detailedimage.com/TUF-SHI...ance-Kit-P545/
Old 01-08-15, 06:15 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Justin,

What are you currently using? I assume it is a silicone based dressing. These are known to sling and can actually stain your paint and wheels.

I'd highly recommend a water based dressing such as CarPro PERL or Optimum Opti-Bond. Both of these dressings will be dry to the touch, and they will actually absorb into the rubber to help nourish the tire and keep it from drying out with regular use.

Product Review: CarPro PERL by Zach McGovern
Product REview: Optimum Opti-Bond by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach
Originally Posted by GSteg
I recently went to Walmart for motor oil and stumbled upon Surf City tire dressing. I tried it and it was better than I expected. You can wipe your fingers onto the tire and it'll feel almost dry to the touch, almost like my Tuf Shine tire dressing. I was surprised to find something decent at a local store, Walmart of all place
Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have tried tons and tons of tire shine. Tuf Tire Shine kit is the best for me. It is dry to touch, look glossy wet and clean for weeks and weeks. It is like a coating so it lasts very very long. It is a bit expensive but actually save you a lot of time, and money in the long run because you only need to do the cleaning once and apply the coat to refresh the shine every 1 or 2 months if you look for super wet glossy look. Other than that, it can last months without problem.

If you use this kit, make sure you CLEAN the tire using the cleaner and brush provided thoroughly many times until the foam is white before applying the coat.

http://www.detailedimage.com/TUF-SHI...ance-Kit-P545/
Thanks for the recommendations guys Im going to try out the CarPro. After that depletes I'll try out the Tuf Shine. I use Meguiars tire foam right now, It shines it but that **** slings all over the place.
Old 01-08-15, 09:24 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

This is Tuf Tire Shine after successful application. Again, I have to emphasize that you must clean the tires thoroughly with Tuf Tire Cleaner and their brush several times till you see white foam before application. It will take you sometimes so be patient but you will love the final results. I did not clean my tires well in the beginning and it turns out brown and flake off but after re-cleaning it thoroughly, here is the results.

The tires are now clean and wet looking 24/7 for weeks and weeks and all I need is simple car shampoo and rinse it with strong water. Bammmm it is shinny like day 1.

It is dry to touch, last a super long time, stay clean all the times (does not attract dust), you can control the shine by adding more or less coats, and super easy to maintain it.

Under direct sunlight:

Under direct sunlight close up:

Under normal daytime light:

Under normal daytime light close up:

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-08-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 10:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I concur. Any hint of silicone from old tire dressing will make that spot brown and flaky. I bought a gallons worth of Tuf Shine cleaner so I didn't get their brush, but any stuff brush should do. Important thing is to rinse your brush after every round of scrubbing otherwise you'll be throwing contaminants back onto your tires.
Old 01-08-15, 10:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts

I use Meguairs Hyper Dressing and Chemical Guys Silk Shine. They're both water based and don't sling. I get them by the gallon from Amazon.
Old 01-08-15, 10:15 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts
Smile

This is Tuf Tire Shine after successful application. Again, I have to emphasize that you must clean the tires thoroughly with Tuf Tire Cleaner and their brush several times till you see white foam before application. It will take you sometimes so be patient but you will love the final results. I did not clean my tires well in the beginning and it turns out brown and flake off but after re-cleaning it thoroughly, here is the results.

The tires are now clean and wet looking 24/7 for weeks and weeks and all I need is simple car shampoo and rinse it with strong water. Bammmm it is shinny like day 1.

It is dry to touch, last a super long time, stay clean all the times (does not attract dust), you can control the shine by adding more or less coats, and super easy to maintain it.
That would explain why my tires turned brown when I first tried Tuf Shine a few years ago. I thought I cleaned the tires thoroughly but they turned brown a few days later.
Old 01-08-15, 10:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

For the Tuf Tire Shine Kit, I find this video below extremely helpful on how to clean the tires right until you see white foam. Make sure you use their cleaner and brush because they are made to do the job right. You only do this hard and long preparation work 1 time lol. Be very patient with it and then you will enjoy the clean, shinny, glossy tires for months and years

+1 on GSteg, "rinse your brush after every round of scrubbing" with a strong stream of water like in the video below.

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-08-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 05:14 PM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam's makes a concentrated product specifically for this. I dilute it with ¼ water in a spray bottle and use a small paint brush to apply (less messy and easier to get the grooves for a more professional look. Adam's Car Care. They are pricey, but WELL worth it. Beats anything you will find on the shelf. Use the code FULLSIZE for a discount if you decide on it.
Old 01-08-15, 06:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by grsams
Adam's makes a concentrated product specifically for this. I dilute it with ¼ water in a spray bottle and use a small paint brush to apply (less messy and easier to get the grooves for a more professional look. Adam's Car Care. They are pricey, but WELL worth it. Beats anything you will find on the shelf. Use the code FULLSIZE for a discount if you decide on it.
CarPro PERL is also meant to be diluted.

1:1 works great for tire shine... So a bottle of product will last a long time!
Old 01-10-15, 05:21 AM
Merlinii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agreed with Zach, Carpro PERL is an excellent, looks good, easy to use tire dressing.

If you're looking for longevity and/or a totally dry finish I'd recommend Carpro DLux.
I would compare Perl vs. Dlux as PERL is a tire dressing and DLux as a tire "coating".

Both Dlux and PERL do not have that auto-part store spray-on "glazed doughnut" look.

Dlux has a darkening semi-gloss finish that can be "layered" if you want increased shine.
What I really like about Dlux is the satin finish and the longevity of a rubber "coating".

There was a product a couple of years back called "Dry Shine". It was a tire coating.
It is gone now...This was the first tire "coating" I ever used. It wore like iron. I miss it.
Old 02-21-15, 07:52 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried "Surf City Beyond Black" for the first time today ... EXCELLENT! Leaves a non-greasy, satin black finish on the tires. Not glossy (I don't care for that high gloss look). Surf City makes the tire look like what a brand new tire should look like.

It's a thin milky liquid in a spray bottle. It looks and acts very much like 303 Aerospace Protectant which is a very good product, but 303 is not cheap. Surf City Beyond Black was less than $10 at Walmart.

I highly recommend this for those who want a great look without the ultra glossy look.
Old 02-21-15, 08:55 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to try this stuff! I want to use up at least half of my perl and optibond though!

Under direct sunlight:

Under direct sunlight close up:

Under normal daytime light:

Under normal daytime light close up:

Quick Reply: What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?