Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Advice for Black Car Detailing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 09:18 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice for Black Car Detailing..

Okay so me personally, I am not that knowledgeable on automotive detailing. I'm very good at detailing interior but I am targeting tips for the exterior of my car.

My car is a OEM 1992 Onyx Black SC400

I want to know what tips do you guys have as far as me keeping my car in good condition with minimal scratches, and what tips cna I do to increase the life and the look of my paint?

I will start off by sharing what products I currently use, and the methods I use to go about cleaning my car.

Wash:
2 Bucket with Griots Garage Car Soap
I am getting the bucket guards very soon.
I have a microfiber wash mit, also purchased on Griots Garage.

Dry:
I use a squeege and finish it off with Cotton Towels, washed after every dry. With no fabric softener.

Detail:
I use Turtle Wax Black Liquid Carnuba wax along with Griots Garage Speedshine.
I buff this off with a cotton towel but I have ordered microfiber towels to buff it off that should be arriving next week.

I have a Griots garage Random Orbital buffer, along with 3M Rubbing compound and stage 1,2, and 2, machine polishes.

This is the equipment I have, and the steps i use to wash my car.

What I'm looking for is more tips/tricks to limit scratches, and maybe new products to use or try?

What should I do as far as buffing off my car soon? I'm just tying to get the best possible shine and remove the most scratches.

Last edited by Shrugy; 04-08-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 04:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do not use a squeegee and do not use cotton towels on your paint. I use 1 bucket and ONR with 5 MF towels. Of course I rinse her and use my foam cannon. Try DD, DI, AG, for good quality MF towels and WW drying towels. It's a lot easier than some may think, although you have to be extra attentive if you want to keep a Black car clean and scratch/swirl free. Even if I wash her the conventional way I still use the GD method and my soap bucket has lots of suds. I usually set up my bucket the night before and let the rags sit in the soap overnight so that the rags are slick as chicken grease the next morning. Lots of lubricity is the key...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-08-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 03:11 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrugy
Okay so me personally, I am not that knowledgeable on automotive detailing. I'm very good at detailing interior but I am targeting tips for the exterior of my car.

My car is a OEM 1992 Onyx Black SC400

I want to know what tips do you guys have as far as me keeping my car in good condition with minimal scratches, and what tips cna I do to increase the life and the look of my paint?

I will start off by sharing what products I currently use, and the methods I use to go about cleaning my car.

Wash:
2 Bucket with Griots Garage Car Soap
I am getting the bucket guards very soon.
I have a microfiber wash mit, also purchased on Griots Garage.

Dry:
I use a squeege and finish it off with Cotton Towels, washed after every dry. With no fabric softener.

Detail:
I use Turtle Wax Black Liquid Carnuba wax along with Griots Garage Speedshine.
I buff this off with a cotton towel but I have ordered microfiber towels to buff it off that should be arriving next week.

I have a Griots garage Random Orbital buffer, along with 3M Rubbing compound and stage 1,2, and 2, machine polishes.

This is the equipment I have, and the steps i use to wash my car.

What I'm looking for is more tips/tricks to limit scratches, and maybe new products to use or try?

What should I do as far as buffing off my car soon? I'm just tying to get the best possible shine and remove the most scratches.
Well aside from the best advice of "sell the car and buy a grey one", here are my thoughts .

As was said above, you really want to do away with the cotton towels and pick up some quality microfiber towels for everything from drying, to polish and wax removal, etc. I have always used and really like DI's Waffle Weave Drying Towel because it works really well and is very durable.

Also, using a squeegee CAN be safe, but there's just so much risk involved of even the smallest of dust particles causing swirl marks on the paint, especially when dealing with sensitive black paint. To speed up the drying process, I really like the Metro Blower, which helps remove most or all of water before picking up the rest with a drying towel. I would also advise picking up a quality sheepskin wash mitt instead of the microfiber, but microfiber should be safe if it's of good quality.

I don't have too much experience with the 3M stuff, but paired with the proper pads you should get great results with the Griot's Garage polisher.

Hope that helps!

Ivan @ DI
Old 04-10-14, 05:31 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Do not use a squeegee and do not use cotton towels on your paint. I use 1 bucket and ONR with 5 MF towels. Of course I rinse her and use my foam cannon. Try DD, DI, AG, for good quality MF towels and WW drying towels. It's a lot easier than some may think, although you have to be extra attentive if you want to keep a Black car clean and scratch/swirl free. Even if I wash her the conventional way I still use the GD method and my soap bucket has lots of suds. I usually set up my bucket the night before and let the rags sit in the soap overnight so that the rags are slick as chicken grease the next morning. Lots of lubricity is the key...
You refer to your "foam cannon." Could you please explain? Thanks.
Old 04-10-14, 07:33 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
You refer to your "foam cannon." Could you please explain? Thanks.
Here are two articles I wrote regarding the use of a foam cannon in your detailing workflow.

How to Implement a Foam Lance into your Wash Routine

Product Review: DI Foam Lance

If you do not have a pressure washer, you can purchase a Foam Gun like the Gilmour Foamaster II that simply hooks directly to your hose. This device does not produce the same type of rich, thick foam like a Foam Cannon/Lance with a pressure washer, but they are still effective at helping to clean the surface.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 04-10-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-10-14, 08:15 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Thanks, Zack. I'm afraid the 2 articles you refer to are no longer there. Is there any special technique?
Old 04-10-14, 08:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
Thanks, Zack. I'm afraid the 2 articles you refer to are no longer there. Is there any special technique?
The links work just fine for me. They are published on the detailed image ask a pro blog.
Old 04-10-14, 08:47 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Got it. The links didn't work direct from the email I received for CL, but they do work. Thanks again for the info!
Old 04-12-14, 12:07 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan to get the following products:

The Sheepskin wash mit without thumb
The Microfiber waffle drying towel..

I now would like to know what towels I should get for buffing off wax, polish, etc.
Old 04-14-14, 10:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Shrugy
I plan to get the following products:

The Sheepskin wash mit without thumb
The Microfiber waffle drying towel..

I now would like to know what towels I should get for buffing off wax, polish, etc.
I'll just copy and paste this into this thread as well since no one reads the other 10 or so threads that I have posted the same thing in......................

These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Old 04-20-14, 02:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great post Zac
Old 04-20-14, 08:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Good posts Zach! Thanks for all the info!