Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tips for keeping obsidian car clean between washes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 05:40 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for keeping obsidian car clean between washes?

I tried some Turtle Wax spray detailer and found that it was terrible for doing what I thought it would do. Which is basically pick up some light dirt and polish the car. Here is a link to this stuff:
Amazon Amazon
It only added swirl marks.

As everyone knows black cars get dirty much faster than other colors. So what's the best way to keep it looking nice and shiny without adding swirl marks?
Old 03-05-15, 07:00 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider doing a ceramic coating such as Opticoat Pro and Cquartz Finest. The car will look look cleaner longer and be protected at the same time. It is pricey especially with paint correction. Looking at least $700+.

If that's not an option you want to do, a good sealant helps. CarPro Reload is pretty popular and does the job. You can also do a No Rinse car wash and maybe Waterless wash in between washes.

Also, did you use the spray wax after a wash or in between? There's a good chance you scratched the paint if you did it in between on a dirty car.

Last edited by Jbreezie; 03-05-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 07:05 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did paint correction and finest. See my thread from yesterday.

Obsidian black isn't a color choice rather a commitment.
Old 03-05-15, 08:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

..... I will respond in depth tomorrow or sometime this weekend.....

Until then, I'm sure others will chime in

-Zach
Old 03-06-15, 06:12 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

All cars get dirty, dark colored cars show the dirt a lot more readily. I apply my favorite LSP, then on a daily/bi-weekly basis I use Meg's M135 Synthetic Spray Detailer (a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Detailer) followed by D156 X-press Synthetic Spray Wax (a.k.a. Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax), actually a wowo spray sealant. My vehicles look freshly detailed all the time. I can do an entire SUV in about 15 -20 minutes. These products won't swirl paint if used with quality microfibers and common sense about what you are doing. If the car is too dirty, wash it, but for light dust and fingerprints this is a quick alternative. This approach requires that you use several MF towels as you don't want to be rubbing dirt over the paint.
Old 03-06-15, 02:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you have paint coating especially Carpro Cquartz coating, your car will look pretty clean during the week.

My advice is don't touch your car when it is not necessary especially on dark color because that will add more swirl in the long run. I have one too so i know.

The best method for me is prevention which is using Reload sealant on it every 2-3 months. This will PREVENT a lot of dusting seriously. If you don't believe me, wax half of your hood with your favorite wax, put Reload on the remaining half. Do the same on the doors and you will see a difference after 1 week.
Old 03-06-15, 07:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
My advice is don't touch your car when it is not necessary...
Best advice that people ignore or don't understand!
Old 03-06-15, 07:52 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sinuspain
I tried some Turtle Wax spray detailer and found that it was terrible for doing what I thought it would do. Which is basically pick up some light dirt and polish the car. Here is a link to this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-3...pr_product_top
It only added swirl marks.

As everyone knows black cars get dirty much faster than other colors. So what's the best way to keep it looking nice and shiny without adding swirl marks?
Check out Griot's Garage. Their Quick Shine ( I think he calls it that) is terrific. Also, at car shows, everyone uses the California Car Cover brush or some version of it. I have used them and they are great. I no longer have "special" cars that warrant that attention.