Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Going on a Road Trip ( 2013 ES350) - Need Detailing Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 09:42 AM
ctrujillo4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going on a Road Trip ( 2013 ES350) - Need Detailing Advice!

I'll be taking a road trip soon from So-Cal to Las Vegas. I just purchased my 2013 ES-350 in May and it will be the first trip of many. I'm a bit concerned about protecting the paint during such a long stretch...(about 450 miles roundtrip). Any suggestions?

Should I wax the hood and front bumper? If so, any recommendations on what to use?

I wanted to get the clear bra, but it's a bit out of my price range right now. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-28-13, 09:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

For best durability, I would recommend a permanent coating such as Opti-Coat 2.0. While you will not be required to wax the car once the coating is applied, routine washing and upkeep is still very important!
Old 06-30-13, 12:07 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I'm half way through a long road trip (2,500 miles). I've been disappointed at how difficult it has been to find a hose connected to water. Finally found one of the old style self-serve car washes (basically a pressure washer), where you can rinse off the dirt/sand that accumulates daily in Palm Springs.
Old 06-30-13, 10:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ctrujillo4
I'll be taking a road trip soon from So-Cal to Las Vegas. I just purchased my 2013 ES-350 in May and it will be the first trip of many. I'm a bit concerned about protecting the paint during such a long stretch...(about 450 miles roundtrip). Any suggestions?

Should I wax the hood and front bumper? If so, any recommendations on what to use?

I wanted to get the clear bra, but it's a bit out of my price range right now. Let me know what you guys think.
I always apply a liquid spray wax (like Meguire's Ultimate Quick Wax) to the front surfaces of the car before a trip. It makes removal of bugs and other gunk easy. I carry the bottle with me on the trip and reapply if/when I get the car washed..
Old 06-30-13, 11:24 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I make the trip from San Diego to Vegas or to the High Sierra (double the distance, same sort of terrain for much of the trip) at least a couple of times a year, in my RX as well as my previous convertibles. I've done this in my RX450h, previous RX400h, as well as my 335i and SC430.

For my RXs, I generally add a layer of Zaino (sealant) before the trip. It helps a lot with removing bugs if you go at that time of year when they are plentiful. On my verts, I also put another layer of Zaino on them before I left, but since they were both rock magnets being so low to the ground, I had custom Colgan Bras for them, used only on that road trip. I know there are many people that avoid the bras like the plague, but in all my years with them on two vehicles and on multiple trips, I had zero issues on my finish... But I also spent the money on the top of the line versions specific to my rides, and checked it at every stop, just in case (never had a problem).

For the trip itself, with your ES, consider taking a bottle of QD with you, and a couple clean microfiber towels. What I do is if bug situation gets too bad (it won't be this time of year with the heat), I've been known after refueling to pull up to places where there is air and water. I use the water, in a cup if need be, to loosen the bugs on the front bumper, then use the QD to get most of the muck off. I've only had to do that a couple of times mid-trip, but do check it out once I hit Vegas and I fill-up before checking in just so I can take care of the situation if necessary. If its not too bad, I honestly don't touch anything including a couple of bugs if they are there until I get home and let the fine layer of dust alone -- no touching except maybe a flick with my finger ... no rubbing... to get a bug or two off, then do a proper hand wash and reapply of Zaino to the front end for good measure. That approach has served me well on my RXs many many times, and I am very **** with my finish. ...and FWIW with my verts and their bras, the bras get cleaned off for good measure in the same way -- not so much because I am trying to get the bugs off before they eat into my sealant while I'm on the trip, but for esthetic reasons.

Hope that helps. Have fun in Vegas.

Last edited by BertL; 06-30-13 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-30-13, 09:09 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

This trip I tried the suggestion of a friend and it seems to work very well. Spread the colorless ivory dish soap all over the bug impact areas. When you arrive, hose off the soAp & bugs. I had to rub some areas with a cloth, but they came off pretty quickly and it only takes about 2 minutes to apply.
Old 07-01-13, 05:10 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere is what I use prior to and during a trip. Treat front bumper and surrounding area before leaving and as needed during. Slightly more expensive than Ultimate Quik Detailer, which I used to take with me.
Old 07-01-13, 09:44 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wash wax before the trip. The wax acts as a sacrificial barrier to your paint. Carry some no rinse in a spray bottle for when you can not do a wash.

If you are worried. Then just tape up the front with blue painters tape.
Old 07-01-13, 09:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Wash wax before the trip. The wax acts as a sacrificial barrier to your paint. Carry some no rinse in a spray bottle for when you can not do a wash.

If you are worried. Then just tape up the front with blue painters tape.
i was waiting for someone to mention the blue tape.. With only 450 miles the tape should do the trick on the front bumper and mirrors and maybe partial hood... U can always stop half way and reapply. i personally carry a quick detail spray in the trunk and use that after every trip and even to and from work.. A little excessive but bugs do more damage than anything IMO..
Old 07-02-13, 04:37 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, great recommendations and alternatives from folks. Blue tape is an option I suppose -- likely what I'd do if I had to travel a lot on gravel or unimproved roads and had chosen to not put on a permanent clear bra for some unknown reason.

I don't know if you've been to Vegas often, but if you care about vanity even just a little bit, having blue tape on your otherwise beautiful ride as you cruise down the Las Vegas Strip will be a not so good anomaly for people to stare at. You'd otherwise fit right in with your new Lexus, even if it's a little bit dusty with a few bugs hitching their last ride -- it's the norm in those parts. I can remember 1, maybe 2 cars -- both non-luxury high volume vehicles of some sort with blue tape on their front-ends over the dozens of times I've made the ride through the SoCal desert to Vegas. One of those cars was full to the brim of personal effects -- likely someone moving themselves from SoCal to other parts unknown.

With a bit of preventive measures as suggested by folks, the greatest challenge if you are worried about your ride's finish is if there is high wind. I would absolutely not take my ride on the 15 in that case as you could get sand blasted. I postponed one trip a few years back because of the high possibility -- just check the Weather Channel a few days in advance or call the Highway Patrol for road conditions. No amount of coatings, tape or whatever would help protect your finish and glass in that situation. Me, well, I care a lot about my ride, but I like it to look good while I'm in Sin City, especially when I pull up to valet under those 7x24 lights. I take a very small risk harming my RX with a few bug casualties -- easily dealing with them as previously described.

Have fun. Drive and be safe.
Old 07-03-13, 09:06 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Back in the day, before weather reports were available 24x7, my dad got caught in the desert in one of those sand storms. The sand stripped the paint off of his car. Fortunately it was a company car.
Old 07-08-13, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I would use this if you are concerned about the front end for the trip:

Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive