Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New car wax protection off the lot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 02:04 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New car wax protection off the lot?

We have had our 2013 for 2 months. Does anyone know what type of wax protection, if any, new cars come with off the lot? Our car is outside most of the time due to travel, how soon before it should get its first wax? Also, is it worth the extra dollar or two at the touchless car washes for the spray wax cycle?
Old 10-05-12, 06:06 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is outside also; at my Free 1000 mile inspection they offered to wash and wax for $39.95..........when I take it in for its 5,000 mile I am having them clay bar and wax for about $150......pays to protect them in the California sun....
Old 10-05-12, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The dealers do wax them when they do the PDI. If it sits out in e sun, the wax is probably gone. I'd wax every 3 months...

The wax sprays at car washes don't do aching for you...
Old 10-05-12, 06:31 PM
burner22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
We have had our 2013 for 2 months. Does anyone know what type of wax protection, if any, new cars come with off the lot?
Probably none, unless you bought their obscenely overpriced "paint protection package", which is nothing more than a wax job.

Our car is outside most of the time due to travel, how soon before it should get its first wax?
Immediately! Especially if you always leave it outside. Twice a year should be sufficient. A polymer will have more durability than a carnuba wax.

Also, is it worth the extra dollar or two at the touchless car washes for the spray wax cycle?
I would say no.
Old 10-06-12, 06:28 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suggest you take charge of your car's appearance. Wash and clay the car and then protect it with a good quality sealant. I like Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is actually a sealant). Initially this process will take a few hours.

If you use a touchless wash then do your own spray wax after. How good is a touchless spray wax application when 99% of whatever they spray on the paint goes down the drain?

I'd recommend picking up a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax and after the car goes through the touchless wash, you then go over the car with a few microfiber towels and some Quik Detailer to remove contaminants that the touchless wash didn't remove. Then follow with the Quik Wax to restore the protection of your original wax or sealant for months. Total time for both operations about 15-20 minutes. Both products can go over every surface of the car, paint, glass, wheels, stainless or chrome and vinyl trim. Both products are wipe-on / wipe-off. Both products can be applied in direct sunlight with no dusting or white residue left behind in the cracks.
Old 10-08-12, 04:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

as far as i'm concerned there is no protection from the lot. that's something you're going to have to do yourself, so you'll have peace of mind that it's done right. wash it, clay it and if your paint doesn't need correcting then apply a nano-sealant. wolfs chemicals shine and seal and then wolfs chemicals Hard Body it's a great choice for soft lexus paint and the fact that your car is outside most of the time. 2 year durability... depending...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 10-08-12 at 04:41 PM.