Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meg's Wash and Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 03:04 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Meg's Wash and Wax

Anyone have experience with this product?

Is the "wax" part any good or comparable to an actual wax or spray wax?

This may be a good solution for me to wash and wax in one step, I rarely have time to do transitional wash/clay/wax nowadays..

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-03-17, 05:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It is a fine product, but most wash & wax type of shampoos do not provide the same type of protection as a dedicated wax, sealant, or coating.... the addition of carnauba or some sort of polymer into the shampoo provides a small amount of protection that can also help enhance the shine of your vehicle in between proper details.

So, make sure you have a proper base layer of protection with a sealant or coating of your choice, then feel free to use a product like Meg's Wash & Wax to supplement the protection until you need to reapply your sealant or coating.

I personally prefer to use a quick detailer/spray wax while drying rather than a wash/wax shampoo... but they can achieve a similar overall goal.
Old 04-03-17, 12:02 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It is a fine product, but most wash & wax type of shampoos do not provide the same type of protection as a dedicated wax, sealant, or coating.... the addition of carnauba or some sort of polymer into the shampoo provides a small amount of protection that can also help enhance the shine of your vehicle in between proper details.

So, make sure you have a proper base layer of protection with a sealant or coating of your choice, then feel free to use a product like Meg's Wash & Wax to supplement the protection until you need to reapply your sealant or coating.

I personally prefer to use a quick detailer/spray wax while drying rather than a wash/wax shampoo... but they can achieve a similar overall goal.

I'll give this product a try! If it leaves a little protection that is perfect. I usually "try" to wax/clay but I just can't find the time to.

You mentioned you dry while using spray wax? How does that work? For spray wax, I usually go with Meg's Ult. Quik Wax.
Old 04-03-17, 02:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
You mentioned you dry while using spray wax? How does that work? For spray wax, I usually go with Meg's Ult. Quik Wax.
Spray the quick detailer on the car when it's wet, so it acts as a lubricant while drying the car.
Old 04-03-17, 03:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^ exactly

The spray wax adds some lubrication while drying and also boosts the shine & protection a bit.
Old 04-03-17, 07:14 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Regarding the spray wax,

Would using it on a wet car considered diluting the wax?

& what sort of towel should I be using.. I usually have a dedicated drying towel for drying and the Meg's supreme shine MF tower for spray wax.
Old 04-04-17, 04:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Of course it's diluting it, but again, the intention isn't to maximize protection... it is to add some lubrication and work as a frying aid. A little protection and gloss are just additional benefits

For drying, I am in love with the Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. Hands down the best drying towels I've ever used. I stopped using waffle weave drying towels as soon as I tried to PFM towels.
Old 04-04-17, 11:57 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I like their Gold class shampoo if I'm out of Poor Boy's but I am a firm believer in applying wax or sealant separately.
Old 04-04-17, 12:00 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I like their Gold class shampoo if I'm out of Poor Boy's but I am a firm believer in applying wax or sealant separately.
I actually use Gold Class right now. & to apply wax separately.

I just don't have the time to spend 2-3 hours on detailing the car nowadays. I try to at least spend ~1 hour to wash the car every 2 weeks. Hoping that Meg's wash and wax could do the trick in one step, and at least leave some protections rather than none.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Of course it's diluting it, but again, the intention isn't to maximize protection... it is to add some lubrication and work as a frying aid. A little protection and gloss are just additional benefits

For drying, I am in love with the Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. Hands down the best drying towels I've ever used. I stopped using waffle weave drying towels as soon as I tried to PFM towels.
Zach,

Best to use a drying towel for the wet car, wax dry method?
Old 04-04-17, 12:06 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I actually use Gold Class right now. & to apply wax separately.

I just don't have the time to spend 2-3 hours on detailing the car nowadays. I try to at least spend ~1 hour to wash the car every 2 weeks. Hoping that Meg's wash and wax could do the trick in one step, and at least leave some protections rather than none.

Zach,

I use Rejex car sealant 2-3 times a year if that. Once a year I may clay the car. You don't need to spend 2-3 hours waxing it. Once you apply the sealant and buff it off with a microfiber towel, it will be good for 4-6 months. Just wash and dry from there.

I use a California jelly blade and good quality microfiber drying towels. The leaf blower helps a lot too.
Old 04-04-17, 12:09 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I use Rejex car sealant 2-3 times a year if that. Once a year I may clay the car. You don't need to spend 2-3 hours waxing it. Once you apply the sealant and buff it off with a microfiber towel, it will be good for 4-6 months. Just wash and dry from there.

I use a California jelly blade and good quality microfiber drying towels. The leaf blower helps a lot too.
I mean 2-3 hours would include wash,clay, & wax. I like the clay the car before a wax. But, is that truly necessary? I mean if I don't clay, won't I be sealing the contaminates into the paint when I wax?

I have Meg's drying towels for dry. I do have a compressed air tank, would that work lol
Old 04-04-17, 12:18 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I mean 2-3 hours would include wash,clay, & wax. I like the clay the car before a wax. But, is that truly necessary? I mean if I don't clay, won't I be sealing the contaminates into the paint when I wax?

I have Meg's drying towels for dry. I do have a compressed air tank, would that work lol
Depends on how dirty the car is, do you drive it daily?

I usually clay before I use the sealant but that's only once a year for me since I don't daily drive the car. I just wash and dry.

If the car is relatively clean between washings, you can apply some wax or sealant, should be ok.
Old 04-04-17, 12:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Depends on how dirty the car is, do you drive it daily?

I usually clay before I use the sealant but that's only once a year for me since I don't daily drive the car. I just wash and dry.

If the car is relatively clean between washings, you can apply some wax or sealant, should be ok.
The car's my DD, and it's always parked outside. Most of the time it's park in my apartment in the city (dirty and polluted imo), but occasionally I go back to the house in the suburbs. But, its always be exposed to the elements =\

That's why I'll be afraid to wax if I don't clay first.

(My car is also white, so you can easily tell when its dirty lol)
Old 04-04-17, 08:32 PM
2URGSE
Racer

The car's my DD, and it's always parked outside. Most of the time it's park in my apartment in the city (dirty and polluted imo), but occasionally I go back to the house in the suburbs. But, its always be exposed to the elements =\

That's why I'll be afraid to wax if I don't clay first.

(My car is also white, so you can easily tell when its dirty lol)
You are a prime candidate for a good sealant over the wax. It will last heck of a lot longer and provide better protection. You only need to apply it once in 4 months or so, otherwise just wash, dry and go for a ride.

You could use it on the inside of the wheels too. Have you ever taken your wheels off and cleaned them by hand?
Old 04-05-17, 10:01 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, because you still need to dry the car since it'll be wet.

Look into using chemicals to decontaminate your car instead of claying it every time to save time. Something like Carpro Iron-X should be sufficient since you have clayed your car in the past.

I think a product like CarPro Hydro2, nanolex wash coat, or gyeon wet coat would be better suited for your needs. They're all spray on when wet and rinse off. They add about 2 to 3 months of protection on average.

An air compressor doesn't work as well for drying the entire car. It does work for getting water out of the cracks, but you would need some type of filter installed to keep residue from spraying on to your car.

Quick Reply: Meg's Wash and Wax