Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Some help possibly... "hairline" scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 08:21 AM
sa0625
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some help possibly... "hairline" scratches

So, I've been really trying to figure this one out on my own through researching websites and such.. but i figured someone on CL could probably help me out.. I've been noticing every day (i live in Brooklyn) more and more "hairline" scratches on my car and its really starting to **** me off, so i'm trying to figure out how to get rid of them, they're not deep scratches just superficial scratches in the clear coat.. the best item i have come up with online is the 3m Scratch Removal System.. but that involves buffing and sanding which i really don't feel 100% comfortable doing the thought of having to sand the car kinda makes me a little nervous.. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know - i am attaching pics of some of the scratches.
Attached Thumbnails Some help possibly...  "hairline" scratches-photo-26-.jpg   Some help possibly...  "hairline" scratches-photo-27-.jpg   Some help possibly...  "hairline" scratches-ref-dp_image_z_0.jpg  
Old 09-19-12, 09:38 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Use scratch x, then polish, and then wax. Keep doing that every three months and you'll be good. You can also just wax every month after you do the first one. It's hard work but it's good. I'm pretty sure other people's gonna have different ideas.
Old 09-20-12, 05:27 AM
sa0625
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man i'll give it a shot.. no one else has any suggestions?
Old 09-20-12, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think sanding is needed from the pictures. Sanding is not something I'd recommend for a novice without practice on other panels. In all likelihood, a novice will cut through the clear or at least cause early clear coat failure with sanding. Factory paint is paper thin to begin with. You really don't want to be taking much of it off. Sanding doesn't remove scratches it removes the paint around the scratch.

I would attempt to correct this by;
1. Wash and dry the car using a newer wash mitt and microfiber drying towels. Use a quality car wash soap.
2 Get a clay kit and clay bar the paint to remove any bonded contaminants,
3. Use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or similar compound and a foam pad and polish the scratches. You may wish to polish the whole car to restore it to a showroom look but this is a lot of work to do by hand. If you can afford it, purchase a good quality DA buffer and pads.
4. Apply a sealant and your car should look good for months as long as you use good washing and drying precesses,
5. Optional: I like to use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash to maintain the shine and slickness. This is a wipe-on /wipe-off process with a microfiber towel that takes all of 15 minutes. This product can be used on chrome, stainless, vinyl, glass and paint and delivers a nice shine and added protection.
Old 09-26-12, 03:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly what he said... ^^^^^^^^.

Very good information posted..