Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 07:24 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Scratches

Hey All,

I have the following scratches on my Lexus RX. I have had them since I bought the car, and would like to know what the best options may be to fix this, short of taking it to a body shop, which will no doubt cost me quite a bit of penny to fix. I am hoping that there is any easier way to at least reduce the look of these scratches or remove them all together without a respray.

The apparent story is that the previous owner's kids had opened the door against some pillars in the garage and getting in and out caused the door to rub against the pillar and hence leaving these scratches.

If I run my finger over the scratches I do feel a "bump" for every single one that is there. They are all still silver (certain angles it looks black but it isn't), so don't think that it's that deep a scratch. Is there anything I can do regarding somehow filling the spots and then something I can use that would blend it in with the body panels around it?

Here's some pictures of what it looks like

Close-up

Old 09-07-12, 08:19 AM
shirkes330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this isn't the best fix but in a pinch a mister clean magic eraser will take the paint off and the scratches then just go over it with a buffer and ultimate compound then the wax of your choice hopethis helps
Old 09-07-12, 08:38 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you can try compound and polish to try and reduce its visibility but generally if you can feel the scratch its to deep to be saved
Old 09-08-12, 01:33 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by shirkes330
Well this isn't the best fix but in a pinch a mister clean magic eraser will take the paint off and the scratches then just go over it with a buffer and ultimate compound then the wax of your choice hopethis helps
DO NOT DO THIS!! The magic eraser is much too abrasive to use on paint - especially since the paint is already damaged. All using the eraser would do is remove even more paint, and that's certainly not the goal. Not sure why this was recommended, but please do not do more damage to your vehicle by following it.

I would start with a mild rubbing compound, then move into something a tad more aggressive, such as M105 from Meguair's. This is a microabrasive compound that will slowly alleviate the scratches and remove as little material as possible. Since it is a microabrasive however, it doesn't break down like normal compound, so do not use it and expect it to stop working like normal rubbing compound will. Once you have the area sufficiently compounded, re-evaluate. It may be enough that it's now more livable, or it may be something where you would need to have it resprayed to fully alleviate the problem. That's your call. Those scratches appear to be fairly deep, so I wouldn't expect a miracle, but it shouldn't take long to determine whether or not it's workable or needs a full repair.

Big Mack
Old 09-08-12, 03:28 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully, you'd get the same results as his.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ter-cable.html
Old 09-08-12, 08:27 PM
shirkes330
Rookie

Listen its worked phenomomally for me in the past... No need to be rude
Old 09-09-12, 12:21 AM
aabbylici
Driver School Candidate

awww.. try if can be done with the help of buff experts

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-09-12 at 05:37 PM. Reason: removed link/sig
Old 09-09-12, 11:04 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by shirkes330
Listen its worked phenomomally for me in the past... No need to be rude
No one was rude or said anything about you as a person. If he was removing tar or road splatter, I could see how one could recommend the eraser (and I wouldn't in that case, either, since Tarminator is a much better and safer option), but not to try and alleviate severe scratches from dragging the door along a concrete pillar. I was simply trying to keep him from doing further damage based on bad advice. These are fairly deep scratches, and the magic eraser would do nothing but remove more paint from the area at a much, MUCH faster rate than compound will. Ask any professional what the solution is and it's to go with the least aggressive option and move up from there.

Let us know how it worked out, OP.

Big Mack
Old 09-09-12, 03:16 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a good compound+polish (meguiar's #105 and #205) on a DA may do the trick, but if not then you may need to use a rotary or even wetsanding
Old 09-09-12, 03:32 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Turtle wax color back works as well.
Old 09-15-12, 01:21 AM
Rozay604
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

go to a scratch removal shop.
Old 09-15-12, 06:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

From your photos I'd say that a repair will require a respray. Have the molding done at the same time. Buffing or sanding won't remove that level of paint damage. Buffing and sanding will remove paint down to the same level of the damaged area leaving you with a larger area of damage.

If the vehicle is otherwise in good shape, the respray will likely be a good investment and increase its resale value down the road.
Old 09-16-12, 10:18 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim is right. I have similar scratches from a garage when my parents closed it on their RX. Super annoying to deal with so it is worth bringing it to the shop