Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What would you guys recommend for spider webs on the exterior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 05:24 PM
str8hust1a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you guys recommend for spider webs on the exterior?

I hate the little scratchs called spiderwebs on the exterior is there anything to do to make them go away?..
Old 07-10-12, 05:28 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good detailing. Make it look good as new... They will come back though FYI
Old 07-10-12, 05:54 PM
str8hust1a
Pole Position

yea didnt think there was a solution to remove them.. im just gonna detail the hell out of it this weekend.

also when my jdm visors were installed today the 2 on the driver side had spiderwebs on them and they were brand NEW, like literally i brought the box to the shop.. kinda chapped about that.. didnt notice till i came home from the shop..
Old 07-10-12, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Swirl removal, Scratch X, Deep crystal polish. usually does the trick for me!
Old 07-10-12, 06:45 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Better invest in a Porter Cable 7424xp random orbital polisher.

Use Prima Swirl with a white lake country pad (this will remove swirls)
Use Prima Amigo to prep the paint, black pad
Use Prima Epic synthetic wax, black pad
Finish with Prima Banana Gloss by hand and remove the wax with Prima Hydro Spray.

If you see lots of scratches, you must have a dark colored car.

The Prima products available at Detailers Domain or Autogeek will make black paint look like wet OIL. The stuff is amazingly easy to apply and remove.

Find vids on you tube on swirl removal.

A porter cable WILL NOT burn your paint and used with the right polishes and swirl removers WILL NOT put swirls in your paint. Those who say they do, have NO clue how to detail a car.
Old 07-10-12, 06:45 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need a pc7424xp, a yellow cutting flat/ccs pad, either wolfgang total swirl remover 3.0 or meguiar's ultimate compound, or meguiar's #80 or optimum polish 2 (these are 4 things i used depending on the situation such as car make, paint colour, severity of swirls, etc.)

those "scratch removal" stuff doesn't really work..they're mostly loaded with fillers which temporarily "hide" swirls by filling them in but sooner or later the swirls will come back

so degrease, wash, clay, compound/polish with yellow/orange pad, lsp (wax or sealant) on black pad
Old 07-10-12, 06:49 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Reyosian is also on the same page, different product, orange pad is a little more aggressive than the white.
Old 07-12-12, 11:36 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

+1 on the PC7424!! I'm partial to Menzerna IP & FP myself. Lake Country Yellow/White/Black pads.
Old 07-12-12, 07:33 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed @ slimjimtel

once you get to do it more, you will try different products and get to know which one you prefer the most (either in ease of use, less time to work, or any other factors that is more important to you)

there's a lot of great products on the market and you just got to find what works best for you

but do keep in mind this is only for swirls...if you got scratches you need to possibly wet sand and buff em out with a rotary
Old 07-13-12, 05:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My $0.02.

There are several ways to remove the spiderwebs or swirls along with light scratches. All really require a Polishing tool along with the proper pads and compounds. My suggestions is to first choose a tool. Some good tool choices are:
1. HD Polisher
2. Griots Garage DA
3. Meguiars G110v2.0
4. Porter-Cable 7424XP

Here is a recent video comparison of the tools by Gary Dean, well known Tampa area detailer:

Once you choose the tool, you will need to decide on the pads and compounds. I'd recommend you start with the Meguiar's Microfiber Starter Kit. In this kit you will get 2 microfiber cutting pads and 2 finishing pads, a cutting compound (D300) and a finishing polish/wax (D301). This should be all you need polish and finesse paint back to showroom condition.

There is also a good deal you can do to reduce or prevent future paint marring. Avoid tunnel washes and do a two bucket hand wash. Use premium wash mitts and drying towels and keep them clean. Most of the paint marring comes from washing and drying so pay particular attention to good technique. Here is a video of the proper way to wash a car by Mike Phillips:

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-13-12 at 05:33 AM.