Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which product to remove old wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 05:02 AM
railfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which product to remove old wax

Put some old paste wax on my LX570 (my Really BAD) and it wouldn't haze or buff. Local auto stores are clueless...
Don't want to use Dawn soap, so what is a safe product to remove wax?
Thanks
Old 04-23-17, 07:39 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are products and all purpose cleaners like Chemical Guys Clean Slate that advertise as removing old wax.
Old 04-23-17, 07:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Take it to a detail shop with a good reputation. They'll know what to do.

It sounds like you applied the wax but waited too long to remove or it was an expired or bad product so you still have the wax on the paint that you can physically see?

I don't think that will just wash off without a ton of scrubbing which might damage your paint depending what you use and how hard you go.

They will most likely need to wash it as aggressively as possible (foam with APC or similar solution) and do a light machine polish to safely remove the old wax residue.

IF you want to try it yourself, get some 70% isopropyl alcohol at any local store and a clean microfiber towel and try to remove it with that after the car is washed and dried. If that's not working than do the above ^^^
Old 04-23-17, 11:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Try 70% alcohol, if it does not come off from just rubbing, soak damp towels and lay them on the finish/wax not coming off for a little while then rub it off. A citrus based soap with no pumice that is safe for paint/hands should also do it. A claybar might work if none of the above work but it may just glide over the wax surface too. What paste wax did you use? It should not be that difficult to take off, they generally don't last very long in the first place with just regular washing.
Old 04-24-17, 05:53 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Surprised nobody said claybar and claylube.
Old 04-24-17, 10:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Surprised nobody said claybar and claylube.
I mentioned clay bar but it may end up gliding over the waxed surface if it is smooth, I do not really understand how a wax is so difficult to remove when they normally do not even last very long when you do not try to remove it.
Old 04-24-17, 01:51 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

CarPro Eraser?
Old 04-25-17, 05:41 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I mentioned clay bar but it may end up gliding over the waxed surface if it is smooth, I do not really understand how a wax is so difficult to remove when they normally do not even last very long when you do not try to remove it.
Carnuba wax may not last long but synthetic waxes will.

There are also different grades of clay, he can try something more aggressive on a small area with lube and see how it works. The clay should remove whatever is on the clear.
Old 04-25-17, 10:33 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Why not use Dawn? It's safe enough for our hands and animals but not our cars? WHAT?

I use Dawn to remove wax when I detail my car. No problems.
Old 04-27-17, 08:27 PM
railfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone... Tried some citrus shampoo which got most of it off, but not the last 5%. So tried some citrus GooGone which dissolved it easily, then quickly washed that off and rinsed really well. That paste wax must have been really old and setup like contact cement! Lesson learned...
Put a coat of Meguiars cleaner wax on that pearl paint, so looking good again. Phew! Would like to put something better (?) on it after our next long road trip.
Old 04-28-17, 06:09 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by railfan
Thanks everyone... Tried some citrus shampoo which got most of it off, but not the last 5%. So tried some citrus GooGone which dissolved it easily, then quickly washed that off and rinsed really well. That paste wax must have been really old and setup like contact cement! Lesson learned...
Put a coat of Meguiars cleaner wax on that pearl paint, so looking good again. Phew! Would like to put something better (?) on it after our next long road trip.
Ceramic coating
Old 04-28-17, 06:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Curious... did the directions on the wax state to let it dry to a haze?

There are many different types of waxes, some need to be left to dry to a haze (wipe on, let dry, wipe off), others must be removed before the dry to a haze (wipe on, wipe off). If you let a wipe on, wipe off product dry it will be a huge PITA to remove most of the time. Likewise, if you try to remove a product that is supposed to be left to dry before it dries, it can be a huge PITA to remove. Just have to follow the directions. I have a lot of older waxes and they all perform the way they did when they were brand new, so I doubt age played a part here.

Regarding some of the other suggestions.... CarPro Eraser is (essentially) the same as Isopropyl Alcohol. Eraser is made up almost entirely of water & IPA, with a very small amount of added surfactant (cleaner) and fragrance.

Dawn is a degreaser made for dishes, your vehicle's paint system is not the same as your dishes, therefore it is just best to stick to shampoos made for automotive use. If you mix any automotive shampoo at a heavier ratio than what is suggested by the manufacturer you can create a strong cleaning solution if needed.

OP-glad you were able to remove the residue I recommend grabbing a synthetic paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond if you like to spread products by hand. It is super quick and easy to use.. you can apply to the entire vehicle and then go back and remove it. Wipes off easily. If you are looking for maximum durability, a nano coating is your best bet, but there is considerable prep work that is required before applying a coating. Just depends on what fits your needs the best.

-Zach
The following users liked this post:
atoyota (04-28-17)