Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing swirls and foggy paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 02:44 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Removing swirls and foggy paint

It's that time of the year again, time to wash up my car and make it clean. Today I saw A LOT of swirls/scratches and a foggy spot on my door (my car is black). I'm not too pro at detailing, but I do the basic wash/clay/wax.

I've been searching some threads but they require machine, is there any products that I can buy at my local store(Wal-Mart,auto shops etc) and what are the steps to remove these swirls to make black paint look good again? Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 03:01 PM
CGDetail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing it by hand will not achieve the results you seek for with using a machine. it will definitely improve the paint, but may leave you dissatisfied with the results.
Old 03-22-12, 02:57 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you think this polisher is good? what other ones do you suggest, I've seen some are 200+ but I'm no detail king, so I just need something I can work on at home.

Here's the product.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 03-22-12, 04:17 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suggest you fioir st try some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. This is available at most auto supply stores and Walmart. You can try this by hand and see if you are satisfied and if not you can use it with a DA. Cheap buffers are worthless for polishing paint. You needs to consider a PC7424XP, Meguiars G110 V2, Griots Garage DA or a Flex. The PC was selling for around $120 recently but with that you wil also need some pads and a backing plate.

I'd say try the UC with a foam pad by hand and see if you are satisfied before investing in a DA. I can say that I bought my Porter-Cable some 16 years ago and I consider it the single best purchase in auto products I've ever made.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-23-12 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-12, 06:32 AM
GS4MILLION
Driver School Candidate

get a porter cable 7424
Old 03-23-12, 11:07 PM
wootw00t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by energie8
Do you think this polisher is good? what other ones do you suggest, I've seen some are 200+ but I'm no detail king, so I just need something I can work on at home.

Here's the product.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
That's a rotary and for experienced users. You can mess up your paint very quickly if you don't know what you are doing. By hand you can go to Canadian Tire and pick up Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Ultimate Compound as previously suggested. You will have to put a bit of elbow grease to remove defects by hand. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a great product as well it has some fillers and can do some temp hiding of the minor swirls. To keep a black car looking good you should invest in a dual action polisher like the pc424xp, g110v2 as mentioned. In Canada you can pick this Porter Cable 7424XP kit and add some polish. HTH.
Old 03-24-12, 03:46 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

it's about 25$ more than your 99$ rotary, and if you apply TOO MUCH pressure, you won't end up destroying your paint. This is a great polisher for beginners. Head back over to my 3GS detail thread and look at the suggestion i've made for you. You won't be dissapointed in the results