Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is the Best Wax+Sealant for starfire pearl ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:31 AM
is350memb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am interested to know too. it seems like everything work just fine but i like to know which one work best too.

i like goldbond
Old 04-13-11, 08:16 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't that an anti-itch cream?
Old 04-15-11, 01:48 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a aurora white HS and just finished my car with the Blackfire Wet Diamond as a LSP.

My jaw almost hit the floor. Easy on and off with very little product being used. Only downside is that your foam applicator may need to be tossed, very hard to clean. Debating on a second coat as I can't believe it can get better. Don't omit this one from your considerations.
Old 04-15-11, 01:08 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Whats the difference between waxing and a sealant ?

What if one just uses a sealant and did not wax the car before, or waxed the car and did not use sealant ?

thanks
Old 04-15-11, 02:24 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

wax gives a warmer shine but doesn't last as long

Sealant is synthetic and polymer based and usually takes a few hours to crosslink the polymers. Durability is better but some don't like the liquid plastic look so after the curing time, they put on a coat of wax.

Generally, you can top a sealant with a wax but for best durability, you shouldn't top a wax with a sealant...

There are also hybrid sealants/waxes such as Collinite 845 which is really great value wrt price, looks, and durability...

hope this helps
Old 04-16-11, 07:57 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
wax gives a warmer shine but doesn't last as long

Sealant is synthetic and polymer based and usually takes a few hours to crosslink the polymers. Durability is better but some don't like the liquid plastic look so after the curing time, they put on a coat of wax.

Generally, you can top a sealant with a wax but for best durability, you shouldn't top a wax with a sealant...

There are also hybrid sealants/waxes such as Collinite 845 which is really great value wrt price, looks, and durability...

hope this helps
Thank you, nice explanation.

For a proper detail one should use sealant first, then wax.
Old 04-16-11, 08:55 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

sealant only as a last stage of protection (LSP) is fine. No need to top it with wax. Depending on the environment, most sealants will last at least a few months on their own if the surface was prepped well. People top them (sometimes they put on several coats of sealant, then wax) b/c they want to create depth and add warmth to the look.

If you do want to top a sealant, you do have to wait for the polymers to set up. The product directions should tell you how long to wait (some take only minutes, up to 12 hours) and whether or not you can let the car get wet during that time. If you top it too soon, then you will prevent the cross linking from taking place and the sealant won't bond to the surface properly, reducing durability.

Last edited by embolism; 04-16-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-07-12, 11:42 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to revive a old thread but I am interested in knowing the same thing as OP. Does anyone have any pics of results on a starfire pearl lexus or any pearl white cars? I recently used some wolf gang products, I am happy with the results but seeing that black and reds seem to look even glossier, I was wondering if theres anything else that can make my car shine even more with that really wet look?
Heres my results Sorry OP I dont mean to hi jack your thread or anything
http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal

Old 07-08-12, 07:27 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

chemical guys jet seal 109 & chemical guys LAVA and or Hardcore XXX paste wax.