Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Foam Gun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 07:56 AM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Gun?

New here and trying searching but couldnt find anything. Does anybody use a foam gun for washing? Just wondering the pros and cons of using one. I am thinking about getting one to keep my baby clean.
Old 01-21-11, 08:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Moved your thread to the detailing forum where there are a few foam gun threads

Some links for you to start with

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...highlight=foam

Old 01-21-11, 02:04 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thread! I should update that soon since I got the ratios down for shaving cream status. Thanks for reminding me Dave!
Old 01-21-11, 06:15 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

its a great tool.

pros - you save time
you can save a bucket (instead of the 2 bucket method you can use the foam gun for the soap and 1 bucket for rinse)
you will have a ton of fun

cons - you will use a bit of soap.
Old 01-23-11, 10:40 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

I love my DI Packages Foamaster II Advanced Kit (aka foam gun) to help wash my car. I use it to pre-soak the paint which loosen and softens contaminants on the surface. Since most swirls come from the washing process it's critical to use good technique and products and this unit helps quite a bit in this area in my opinion. It also saves me a little bit of time during my washing process. The downside as mentioned above is that I do use more shampoo. I'd recommend spending twenty+ $ on a gallon of shampoo like the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II or the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss if you wash semi-regularly. Don't forget you can save 10% off all these items with your Club Lexus discount code "10offcl". If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg
Old 01-24-11, 07:12 AM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks gregg. I already ordered some of your maxi suds II for washing and love it. I ordered it because i saw i can use it in the foam gun which i planned on getting sometime. Just didnt think it would be this soon (ordered like 2 weeks ago). Also what would you recommend for wax. Right now i am using mothers gold canuva wax. I like the way it beads. Anybody else have anything else they like or dont like about the mothers?
Old 01-25-11, 05:34 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by quickmatch
Thanks gregg. I already ordered some of your maxi suds II for washing and love it. I ordered it because i saw i can use it in the foam gun which i planned on getting sometime. Just didnt think it would be this soon (ordered like 2 weeks ago). Also what would you recommend for wax. Right now i am using mothers gold canuva wax. I like the way it beads. Anybody else have anything else they like or dont like about the mothers?
I think you can get a better shine and more durable protection from quite a few different waxes or sealants. That wax provides very limited protection so I think you'll be very happy with some other options. Sealants are essentially artificial waxes that last significantly longer while providing a great shine and they are often easier to use. Waxes always look great but don't usually last nearly as long. If you want to try a sealant I'd highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. It applies with ease and looks outstanding on all colors.

If you prefer a wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax which is one of my very favorite waxes. If you want an amazing shine with a great value try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax.

Don't forget to save 10% with your forum discount code "10offCL". If you have any questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-20-12, 09:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I do have a few questions since this thread since its already started...

Thinking of getting the Foam gun as well.... How long do i pre-soak the car for? also after time has elapse lets say 10min then i do a rinse with regular water? Then wash the car by hand with Mcquires or any car soap correct. Do i still use the two bucket method? I've always wanted to get this just never new how to properly apply it.

Is it best to also a pressure washer in the 1200-to 1500psi range? or just attach the Foam Gun to the hose?

Seems like contaminants would come off easier with the pressure washer.

Just want to make sure that we don't wash the car while the suds are still on the car. That can cause scratches with the loose contaminants on the car...

I always do the 2 bucket method but thats not always 100% scratch proof. I think your bound to get minor imperfections from washing. Its human nature...

Thanks

Edit: Found this comment on DI's website...

Working in the shade to start, use 1 ounce of CG Citrus Wash & Gloss and a few ounces of water. This is plenty to produce enough suds to do a thorough 2-stage washing. The suds really help to emulsify and loosen the dirt on the vehicle.

STAGE 1: Spray suds on the car, then wait 7 or 8 minutes, and rinse.

STAGE 2: Then, reattach the foam gun and spray suds on the car again and switch over to the two bucket method to complete the washing.

Then final rinse and dry with a quality waffle-weave towel.

So my question is this guy rinsed after 8 min then reapplied the suds again for his two bucket method. Would you use the Citris wash to scrub the car?

Last edited by tmf2004; 02-20-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 10:11 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Any kind of wash will do. I use cheap, sudsy soap for the initial and during foam process anyway. I found CG Citruswash and Clear to be lacking in cleaning in my opinion. Even with a chemically cleared nozzle, the foam generated depended on a lot of soap. I use a 1750psi unit
Old 02-21-12, 03:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Any kind of wash will do. I use cheap, sudsy soap for the initial and during foam process anyway. I found CG Citruswash and Clear to be lacking in cleaning in my opinion. Even with a chemically cleared nozzle, the foam generated depended on a lot of soap. I use a 1750psi unit
So using a low pressure washer like that is ok? I certainly like the idea of leaving the suds on there for 8-10 min. rinse, and then doing the 2 bucket method, I have the Citriswash just never used it it..

Sam's club had a nice electric pressure washer last time i was there for like $60-$70...

Thanks Isaac...
Old 02-22-12, 03:49 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Yep, foam guns are great! Apart from being the most fun part of washing your car, it pre-soaks and breaks down the dirt and grime with out you touching your car. That equals less wash swirls. And buy one from UK and save lots of $$$!
Old 02-22-12, 04:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by LexyISF
Yep, foam guns are great! Apart from being the most fun part of washing your car, it pre-soaks and breaks down the dirt and grime with out you touching your car. That equals less wash swirls. And buy one from UK and save lots of $$$!
Have a website link?
Old 02-22-12, 09:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got mine from detailersdomain and couldn't be happier with it! Once you use this you will wonder why you ever washed your car with out one
Old 02-23-12, 08:02 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Have a website link?
I got mine from Shinearama. We don't pay the 20% VAT, so more savings.
Old 02-24-12, 01:55 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by tmf2004
So using a low pressure washer like that is ok? I certainly like the idea of leaving the suds on there for 8-10 min. rinse, and then doing the 2 bucket method, I have the Citriswash just never used it it..

Sam's club had a nice electric pressure washer last time i was there for like $60-$70...

Thanks Isaac...
Yeah, you lose some foaming ability due to low PSI but that can be compensated by a more concentrated soap mixture. Just remember that it isn't recommended to let the soap dry on the surface though. As for where to purchase it, MOST detailing vendors have it now due to how popular it is for enthusiasts/pros. Check out Autogeek for example

Quick Reply: Foam Gun?