Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I think I ruined my crearcoat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 12:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

foam cannon breaks down the poop easily :]
Old 05-12-10, 02:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

So today, I decided to hand wash two of my cars, the 01 gs430 and 2010 335. Believe or not, this was pretty much the first time I hand washed a car, usually I just go through a car wash. I went to autozone, bought a bottle of Meguars soap, and a soft sponge (it feels like artificial sheepskin). I sprayed the cars with a hose, wet the sponge, but some soap on it, and went to work. There were two stubborn bird dropping spots on the GS, so I rubbed these areas pretty hard to get them out.

So then I rinsed the cars off, and took them for a fast drive to dry them. When I came back, I noticed two scratched up areas on the hood of the GS (where I rubbed to get the bird droppings). They are scratched up pretty bad, I was able to see them in the dark. I can't really see if I've done anymore damage because it is dark now, but in the morning I'll go and inspect the cars and see if theres anymore damage.

What are my options meanwhile? Get a buffer?
I doubt you "ruined" your clearcoat, you most likely just scratched it which can be corrected and fixed by polishing. Aggressive washing will normally not permanently damage a clearcoat but bird droppings left on the paint can permanently damage the clearcoat by eating into it and etching it.

You can try using scratch X or some regular polish and polish by hand but it may not work. If you don't have a orbital buffer you may want to buy a Porter Cable or see if you can borrow one. Other then that you can take it to a detail shop or call around for a detailer who polishes.