Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Microfiber....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 07:46 PM
oski83
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber....

With all the different types of MF Towels out in the market I had a few questions....

1-Where can I find the best priced/qty set? Prefereably Cobra MF Towels. Looking for the most MF at the lowest price? Maybe in bulk?

2-Which Cobra (or other manufacturer) Towels do you use for each application. (ie-Waffle Weave for drying) to avoid cross-contamination of products used? Theres so many weights and colors!

Looking to see which is the best for: (in either towel weight like 70/30 or Cobra colors)
1-MF Towel for wiping off Buffing out wax/Polish residue?
2-MF Towel for wiping off after Engine Detailing?
3-MF Towel for drying after Wheel Detailing?
4-MF Towel for wiping off residue from Interior Vinyl Seats?
5-MF Towel for wiping off residue from Interior Seude/Alacantra inserts?
6-MF Towel for wiping off residue from Interior Vinyl Dashes/Cockpit Parts?
7-MF Towel for wiping off residue from Interior Plastic/Plexi?
8-MF Towel for cleaning Interior/Ext. Glass?
9-MF Towel for wiping off residue from Carpet/Spot Cleaner?(after wet vac)
10-MF Bonnets

3-Now with soooooo many different types of chemicals being used for soooo many applications (listed above), would it be safe to toss them ALL in the same wash with a MF Rejuvinator or MF Detergent? Im concerned about mixing so many towels with so many chemicals combined(cross contamination).

With limited washing/detailing I do, I wouldnt have enough of "each" towel to do seperate loads (probably 8-10) This include washing these MF Applicator Pads in the same load-

MF Applicator Pad for Vinyl/Rubber Trims
MF Applicator Pads for Vinyl/leather Upholstery Cleaner
MF Applicator Pad for Vinyl/leather Upholstery Protector
MF Applicator Pad for Suede Cleaner
MF Applicator Pad for Suede Protector
MF Applicator Pad for Interior Vinyl Dashes/Cockpit Parts
MF Applicator Pad for Interior Plastics/Plexi

Thanks for all your inputs!!!

Last edited by oski83; 03-28-09 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 12:06 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to answer. Might not be super detailed as you do have a ton of questions lol

1. Look for the sales. Chemical Guys is having a sale on a couple towels right now as well as Detailers Domain. CG is doing a 3 for $9.99 special and DD is doing a buy 3 get 1 free I believe. Both are exceptional deals at the moment.

2(1). I use either CG yellow/black colored or a **** Rag (theragshack.com) for my buffing/wax removal. Both are exceptional buffing towels that do not marr jet black .
2(2-6). Crappy ones from Walmart or the Target Vroom towels.
2(7). **** Rag (theragshack.com) again due to the ultra long nap fibers.
2(8). 3M glass towel or MF towel with super short nap.
2(9). Standard terry cloth for that.
2(10). I don't use them because it feels off to me .

3. I wash exterior with exterior towels with the exception of wheel and engine ones. Those 2 categories get washed by hand in my sink. Interior towels get washed together regardless of what is on them because it doesn't really matter what happens to them. The terry cloths get washed with the rugs in my house since I have like 5 towels lol

Hope that helps man
Old 03-29-09, 12:36 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

i presoak all my towels together first in some degreaser / mf detergent, then toss them all in the washing machine with tide. no problems so far
Old 03-29-09, 07:40 AM
oski83
Driver

Thanks Zack and Vincent.....
Zack-How are the MF Towels from theracgshack vs. cobras? Ive heard nothign but great things about Cobras as well as them not marring.
Also, Target doesnt seem to carry these Vrooms any more? Ive done searches on their site and closest thing I found was a 3M MF pack or Silvermark 3pc Kitchen Towels. Did searches using diff keywords too
Old 03-29-09, 02:13 PM
slickboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oski83
Zack-How are the MF Towels from theracgshack vs. cobras? Ive heard nothign but great things about Cobras as well as them not marring.
Also, Target doesnt seem to carry these Vrooms any more? Ive done searches on their site and closest thing I found was a 3M MF pack or Silvermark 3pc Kitchen Towels. Did searches using diff keywords too
I picked up a bunch of the vroom towels on clearance a while back from a local target for interior/under the hood detailing. Got them for a really great price and they seemed to hold up well although some not looking so good. Ordering a few from ragshack along with some 6.5" ccs pads that are a great price. It always pays to go with quality in the long run. Cobra towels are nice, but +1 for the CG towels.
Old 03-29-09, 04:47 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I've never had the Cobras before. I stuck to local (CG) and heavy sale (theragshack) items. A while back, the **** Rags were $2 each so I picked up like 30 of them. Super fluffy and they take off wax with ease, including the difficult to remove Zymol and Rubbishboys OE waxes . I'm sure the Cobras are probably at about the same level as those towels though

Target sells them inside the store. The Orange ones are my interior/wheels towels while the Yellow towel (its HUGE) is used to dry my car. I have 4 dryers and about 20 oranges. Just nip inside and take a look. They're located right by the automotive section
Old 03-29-09, 06:55 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

For exterior or delicate surfaces, I think the Elite, Elite II or Fluffer is one of the best values out there. The Elites get further discount in bulk (12+). They also come in a good variety of colors too which is nice.
For wheels, interiors, engines, I grab the Ultra towels, which again get discounts at 12+.

For glass, definitely go w/ a designated glass towel. Much tighter weave and they do a great job at cleaning glass.

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...er-towels.html

For drying, I love the 24x36 towel. Nice and soft and holds plenty of water.

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...-products.html

I would wash your drying towel separate from the others though. You dont want to really wash them together to help try and avoid the drying towel from picking up the waxes/oils, etc and causing the towel to be less effective.
Old 03-30-09, 12:50 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Costco ones with no issues there. 36 for $15.
Old 03-30-09, 05:21 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Originally Posted by nthach
I use Costco ones with no issues there. 36 for $15.

I bought 80/20 blend towels from Sam's Club. 24 towels per pack for $10. They have been wonderful for all purposes!

There are some differences from MF's to MF's. There are different blends, like 80/20 and 70/30. Allegedly, the 70/30 blends are more of a premium towel, although I cannot tell the difference. Now, if you want something really soft, like the Cobra Shamrock, then that is a major difference at 750g/m2. And so is the price!

Here is a Cobra chart that sorts out the different purposes for each of the towels it manufactures:

http://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

So far, my cheap Sam's Club towels are working out just fine, along with some smaller Microtex towels purchased at Walmart. I also bought the larger bath size Microtex towels at Walmart for drying. In my opinion, they work great and I saved a ton of money. Try these or Costco brand first, you can't beat the price for starting out!
Old 03-30-09, 05:28 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the yellow MF pack that they sold in Costco are not in stock around me . i wish i wouldve bought more of them. such a deal since u can just throw them out if they get too dirty.
Old 03-31-09, 06:40 AM
oski83
Driver

Wow...great tips...
So I checked out Costco and saw these....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

They seem like a great bargaing for engine detailing, wheels, carpet, jambs, interiors, etc....

Also saw these....
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t62754&topnav=

Not bad to have for interior or QD'ing?
Old 03-31-09, 10:33 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

Wow...great tips...
So I checked out Costco and saw these....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

They seem like a great bargaing for engine detailing, wheels, carpet, jambs, interiors, etc....

Also saw these....
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t62754&topnav=

Not bad to have for interior or QD'ing?
Are you near a Target or Walmart? Look at their selection as well. The ones you mentioned should be OK to start, but I don't know the Zwipes brand very well other than what I've seen in Walmart and other stores. My impression of the Zwipes is they looked cheap in quality, so I stayed away from them. Remember, look at the labeling on the package before you buy it. Minimally, the blend should be 80/20 or 70/30 (polyester/nylon). There are a lot of cheaply made towels out there, so be careful. If the blends are not on the package, do not buy them.
Old 03-31-09, 10:47 AM
oski83
Driver

Yes, there's actually a Walmart AND Target near me....I'll go see what they have...but I mentioned those above as all purpose kinds...maybe to use in detailing engine bay or cleaning off residue from carpet or seat cleaners...I wouldnt use them on Paint
Old 04-13-09, 12:39 PM
LexFather

This is a good thread but I am looking for the best quality microfiber towel or towels. The Meguiars ones I have a great, the Sams Club ones pretty decent, the Advance Auto ones are blah.

I am also interested on hearing feedback on these new microfiber "towels" like brawny....

Thanks!