Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

UDM or Porter cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 11:43 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UDM or Porter cable

Ok, I know I am going to get hammered on this, but I need some advise.

I have never had a DA polisher and would like to get one. I would like a package that has all the tools I need, ie pads, polish, wax, etc.

Also, is the UDM exactly the same as the Porter and it is just relabled? I guess I am concerned with not getting the "real" thing vs a rebranded one.

Where would you buy it?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-27-09, 12:06 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Well, the Autopia site says "The Ultimate Detailing Machine Dual Action Car Polisher by Porter Cable " so I would say it's pretty safe to say they are the same.

You can do much better than the $150 price tag there, though. Check local shops that sell electric tools. Online might be cheap, but if it's only $10 more to buy local, the peace of mind of being able to get help immediately is kinda nice. I've had a 7424 for years for my personal use, and it's a great machine. I've had Makitas, Dewalts, and PCs. They all have their merits.

Big Mack
Old 02-27-09, 12:06 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... Flex ftw
Old 02-27-09, 12:31 PM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. Where did you buy locally? Don't have a lot of options where I live.

Jeff
Old 02-27-09, 01:00 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vultureskn
Thanks for the help. Where did you buy locally? Don't have a lot of options where I live.

Jeff
At the time, I was still using my shop account. Today, I would go to Lowes or Home Depot or a local tool seller. What zip are you in? You should be able to get the closest from the PC site right hyah!

Big Mack
Old 02-27-09, 01:09 PM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Big Mac. I will check out Lowes.

Jeff
Old 02-27-09, 01:11 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

You might want to look into the "Flex" as well. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it.
Old 02-27-09, 03:45 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Big Mac. I will check out Lowes.

Jeff
Jeff,
As it was mentioned, the UDM is made by porter cable. So in all reality, you're buying the same machine. We switched from carrying UDM's to Porter Cables for this reason. Although we are still in need of updating some pics, all of our kits come w/ the Porter Cable 7424. As for lowes carrying it, its pretty unlikely. They used to carry the 7336, which was an identical machine, however, they had these on blowout about a year, maybe year and a half ago and I havent seen or heard of them stocking them since.
heres a couple of links if you're interested. From NJ to OH, shipping is usually only 2-3 days.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/portercable.html
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poca74pade.html
Old 02-27-09, 06:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
As for lowes carrying it, its pretty unlikely. They used to carry the 7336, which was an identical machine, however, they had these on blowout about a year, maybe year and a half ago and I havent seen or heard of them stocking them since.

My bad. Shows you just how long it's been since I've been looking for one. I'm sure they could order it, but that defeats the purpose! I did look at Chris' kits, and they've got a lot of good options, vulture. Discount is nice, too.

Big Mack
Old 02-28-09, 02:56 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification! I was looking at your Porter Cable packages and noticed the picture of the UDM. I did go to Lowes and your right no luck.

One question, does the Flex line have a DA polisher?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-28-09, 04:41 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flex is random orbital which is pretty much similar to the PC only it can go to higher RPM's and do better work the the PC in less time. It goes for about 279.99 though so in my opinion if you are not going to be using it a lot go with the PC and spend the extra time doing another pass. Otherwise if you plan on doing it for your neighbors or what ever for a little extra cash, go with the flex.

Im about to pick up a flex in a little while.
Old 02-28-09, 06:06 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. I will probably go with the PC. I really like the look of the Flex but, this is my first polisher and any chance of burning paint scares me. Plus the cost is a lot more.

Jeff
Old 02-28-09, 07:11 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification! I was looking at your Porter Cable packages and noticed the picture of the UDM. I did go to Lowes and your right no luck.

One question, does the Flex line have a DA polisher?

Thanks,

Jeff
yea, like I said, we've just been a little lazy about updating the pics The packages do include the Porter Cable 7424 though. I'll update those pics soon, I promise, lol.
And I think papahoff covered the flex question for you
Old 02-28-09, 12:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Ok, I know I am going to get hammered on this, but I need some advise.

I have never had a DA polisher and would like to get one. I would like a package that has all the tools I need, ie pads, polish, wax, etc.

Also, is the UDM exactly the same as the Porter and it is just relabled? I guess I am concerned with not getting the "real" thing vs a rebranded one.

Where would you buy it?

Thanks,

Jeff
From what I read the UDM was a seperate machine from a Porter Cable 7424 and although similar was not the same and had a little more power from a slightly larger motor and I few other things were different. There were alot of complaints about the UDM breaking and having problems after a few uses and not working as well as a PC but the company did seem to do a good job of replacing or fixing the machine and making customers happy. Not sure if Porter Cable bought them out or improved the design or what the deal really was. I would just get a PC as UDM seem kind of risky and a PC is most likely cheaper. If you look around for detail/tool places you should be able to get one for $100-$110 but you will also need backing plates, pads, and polishes. It is very difficult to find a PC at local stores these days as I have looked and never seen one but it would not hurt to look.
Old 02-28-09, 12:53 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

you should figure you what you need/want... there are different places that offer combo packages.

Quick Reply: UDM or Porter cable