ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/285498-headlight-restoration-with-1500-2000-plastx.html)

MrG4Life 06-02-07 07:34 PM

What a difference

Lexizm 06-02-07 10:27 PM

Great results man !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I'm going to try this one; I'm afraid of using the orbital buffer though. I don't want to sand it unevenly and mess up. I think I'm going to do it by hand first.

chrispy 06-02-07 10:35 PM

Try some 3M rubbing compound after the 2000 grit. I'm sure the buffer will help a lot more though.

GSteg 06-02-07 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lexizm (Post 2665711)
Great results man !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I'm going to try this one; I'm afraid of using the orbital buffer though. I don't want to sand it unevenly and mess up. I think I'm going to do it by hand first.

As long as you dont stay in one spot for long, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have a random orbital buffer, then you have almost no chance of ruining the plastic:thumbup:. Using 2000 grit sand paper takes out a very thin layer of the plastic lens. Just go side to side. No circular motions allowed!

GUNRU-GS4 06-03-07 05:13 PM

Wow, thats a great improvement:thumbup:

Jewcano 06-03-07 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lexizm (Post 2665711)

Are you talking about using the Orbital buffer to sand? If so thats a big NO NO. Use the orbital buffer to polish and just go in swirling motions all along the lense.

GSteg 06-03-07 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jewcano (Post 2667697)
Are you talking about using the Orbital buffer to sand? If so thats a big NO NO. Use the orbital buffer to polish and just go in swirling motions all along the lense.

:egads::egads:

I just realized he probably meant using the orbital to sand.

Lexizm, do not use the orbital buffer to sand !!!:p

PushinLEX 06-04-07 03:06 PM

Incredible results!!!!

I agree with whomever said to use rubbing compound between the 2000 grit and plastix. After plastix, I would use plastic polish then finalize w/ a coat of wax.

Lexizm 06-04-07 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 2667722)
:egads::egads:

I just realized he probably meant using the orbital to sand.

Lexizm, do not use the orbital buffer to sand !!!:p

Thanks guys, I'm goig to do this in a couple weeks. Don't worry sanding by hand, I would have confirmed before I touched the lens. :p

URDONE 06-06-07 09:17 AM

Very well done.

HighSoarer 06-06-07 11:40 AM

The turnout looks great. I just recently did the same with my SC400 headlights. I took a long time wet sanding to make sure everything was as smooth as possible (about 30 minutes per lense) because I'm a little anal about it. Then I used a rubbing compound before using the polishing compound. It came out rather nicely minus a streak or two on my drivers headlight (with the polish you can only apply in one direction and I accidently polished both ways on one lense). It all came in a headlight restoration kit I bought the other day at Advanced Auto for about $20. My lamps look brand new now. Now if I can just get this last clip to my passenger headlight so I can finish taking it out to seal up the moisture with some silicon gel I'll be good to go for the day. :woot:

Chenzo26 06-15-07 01:23 PM

Anyone know where to get 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper? I went to lows and the finest they got there is 600.

chrispy 06-15-07 01:29 PM

Any autozone or pepboys should carry high grit wetsanding paper.

GS300Rich 06-15-07 01:59 PM

that is a huge difference, great job:thumbup:

LexFather 06-27-07 10:10 PM

Stuck, tons of Lexus owners ask about yellowing or dirty headlights...gonna merge some threads...