Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

"You Can Tell A (ZAINO) Car By It's Cover!"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 08:49 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up "You Can Tell A (ZAINO) Car By It's Cover!"

I was in talking to Jimmy, "Mr. Perfect" as my local Indy Parts Manager, who showed me how easy it's going to be to keep the inside of the OEM Wheel Rims clean of grease and "road compost" that builds up from time to time. After looking the extra set of Dedicated wheels over that I am having the Winter Season Dunlops Sport II Tires mounted on, we discussed the possibility of having the Outer Rim's "Hex Nuts" Gold Plated, to match the "Circle-L" in the Center of each Hub. Looking over the Millenium Silver Metallic / Ecru on the Showroom Floor, I agreed that we should go for it! On the 19th, they should drop my Black / Saddle off at the Dealership, and start the De-Badge process, Gold Plate the remaining two Circle-L's on the Hood & Trunk, as well as the ten "Hex Nuts" on the Wheel Hubs, and the Wheels Center Circle-L's.

Then, Jimmy brought out the LEXUS Car Cover, and ............oh Crap! Underside stiched seams that seem to scream out:" Can't wait to scratch your ZAINO, dude!" I made a hasty retreat, Jimmy credited my account for the free throw-in, and I headed back to the Office to call Bevely Hills Motoring, and quickly placed an Order for a Flannel-Backed Cotton Custom Cover. I've had very good success with these Flannel-Backers on my BMW Convertibles for Inside-Only Dust Covers, and really want to pamper the ZAINO multiple-coat Super Finishes that I intend to grace this "Final Step Up With".

Bottom Line - Pass on Lexus's Car Cover, unless you cover the ZAINO Finish with a flannel inner liner, and even then, keep it inside the garage to prevent dust particles from entering the layers, and serving as Sand Paper on the finish.

"LUXUS - THE ULTIMATE LUXURY / PERFORMANCE DRIVING MACHINE!"
Old 11-15-01, 04:13 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, well ... to each his own.
Personally, I prefer understated elegance rather than the ostentatious look of gold (unless it's in my pocket).
Old 11-15-01, 06:54 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by genearch
I hope I'm not stepping over the line here... but as a SC430 owner, I feel it's my duty. Everyone has their opinion of what is tasteful and what's not, and you're entitled.

Please, please reconsider the use of gold trim & emblems. It's a bit on the "Gucci" side.

Hopefully you'll take feedback from your fellow owners.

Maybe post a poll here to take the tempature of other owners?

I'm sad that you think that Gold Plating just the one "Circle-L" on the Rear Deck Lid, and the one on the Front Grill Insert, will turn it into kind of a "Pimp" Car, or Big Time Wrestling Fans will think that I'm Vince McMahan or something like that. But just envision the Glossy ZAINO enhanced Black Finish as a Background, and those two Large "Circle-L Ranch Brands" becoming the new Focal Point of all of these Europeon-Sculptured lines!

As for the Wheels, the light Silver-Grey Center Hub begs for the Gold Color, and the 10 small Allen Bolts really seem to do a better job of framing the center "Hub's Circle-L", in my humble opinion.

It is just that - my humble opinion I know - all of my other Roller Derby Manager friends totally agree with me, and are pressing me really hard to Gold Plate every peice of chrome on the car, including the Twin Exhast Pipes. Where to strike the balences in one's life, can be at times, So Challenging!

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-15-01 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-15-01, 07:10 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1NICESC430
[B]Ah, well ... to each his own.
Personally, I prefer understated elegance rather than the ostentatious look of gold (unless it's in my pocket).

So...................am I to understand that you plan to take out all the gold in your teeth, to enhance the look of an Ultra-Understatement?

My purpose of debadging the "Lexus" and "SC 430" ensigmas on the broad rear deck lid was exactly that......to enhance the Classic Look of Understated Elegance.

But just to make sure that you guys are not totaly correct in your judgements, I have placed a collect call into my fashion coordinater Rick Flair, to get his final opinion on these matters.

"To Be The Man.........You Got To Beat The Man!"

"Styl'in and Profil'in in the Hoosier Heartland"

Old 11-15-01, 08:52 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>So...................am I to understand that you plan to take out all the gold in your teeth, to enhance the look of an Ultra-Understatement?<

Cars, teeth ... cars, teeth ... I just can't see the connection.
Personally I like the idea of debadging. I was referring to gold doodads - on cars, not teeth.

BTW ... what is involved in the debadging process? How much hole-filling and painting must be done?
Old 11-15-01, 09:43 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
>So...................am I to understand that you plan to take out all the gold in your teeth, to enhance the look of an Ultra-Understatement?<

Cars, teeth ... cars, teeth ... I just can't see the connection.
Personally I like the idea of debadging. I was referring to gold doodads - on cars, not teeth.

BTW ... what is involved in the debadging process? How much hole-filling and painting must be done?

Ed - I was just trying to paint a kind of picture in my mind's eye of you cruising down the Country Roads with a big smile on your face, and all of the empty voids where your old Gold fillings used to be giving you more of the "Understated Elegance" total look with your new SC also devoid of any Gold "trim". It's kind of a California "visual" thing..........just "chew" on it for a while.

The "Debadging" process is very simple, and can be done by yourself in the privacy of your own garage, or by your Servicing LEXUS Dealer. Simply take a hand held heater, like a (hair) Blow Dryer, heat up the Badges untill hot to the touch, then take some 20 lb. very thin Fishing Line, and slice through the softer glue, and peel them right off. Roll off the remaining glue with some "Goo-Gone", and roll on the extra layers of ZAINO Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 (if needed to remove swirl marks), and Z-6, and you're good to go!

Old 11-15-01, 10:13 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Thanks, Solo ...

I'm surprised that the insignias are simply glued on.

I will seriously consider removing the two on the deck lid. My next concern is whether or not a "ghost" of them will remain even though my car has seen little of the sun/daylight.
Old 11-15-01, 02:30 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even thou I had the emblems gold plated on the Spectra Blue GS they look great at first but from what it seems you will be driving your SC in the winter.. So be forewarned that the elements of winter will take a toll on your Gold Plating.. For me I think it looks great on our GS with the Blue but if I were to do it again I would opped for the emblems off the Platinum edition GS like what Genearch got done to his car.. On a black SC I would think the chrome would be perfect but the gold will look great too..

Its your car and I would never tell you how to dress it up so I just wanted to let you know how salt spray and crap like that tends to dull the gold very quickly (No matter how good they apply the gold in the plating process) you might be looking at re-applying gold after 2 years if you want to keep the gold looking its best..

Kudos on your colour selection.. The Black on Saddle is AMAZING!!
Old 11-15-01, 08:32 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up "NOT A GHOST OF A CHANCE!"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1NICESC430
[B]Thanks, Solo ...

I'm surprised that the insignias are simply glued on.

I will seriously consider removing the two on the deck lid. My next concern is whether or not a "ghost" of them will remain even though my car has seen little of the sun/daylight.

Not a Ghost of a chance, with the Superior Quality of Lexus's Paint Process and of course, ZAINO's Superior Finish Enhancers. As opposed to Zymol, it seems to have a much better chemistry for Japanese Paints, and has demonstrated much better durability, as a bonus!

Old 11-15-01, 09:08 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by genearch
My car being black/black now has "black gold" emblems, basically black chrome. Logos there, somewhat hidden.

The "L" on the rear deck cannot be permanently removed, the trunck has an indention for the emblem.

FWIW: I recently had ALL of the gold and silver fillings removed from all of my teeth. Nothing but white there folks...
Ah-Hah! So that's how you were able to pony up Cash for your new Car!

Old 11-17-01, 05:52 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Even thou I had the emblems gold plated on the Spectra Blue GS they look great at first but from what it seems you will be driving your SC in the winter.. So be forewarned that the elements of winter will take a toll on your Gold Plating.. For me I think it looks great on our GS with the Blue but if I were to do it again I would opped for the emblems off the Platinum edition GS like what Genearch got done to his car.. On a black SC I would think the chrome would be perfect but the gold will look great too..

Its your car and I would never tell you how to dress it up so I just wanted to let you know how salt spray and crap like that tends to dull the gold very quickly (No matter how good they apply the gold in the plating process) you might be looking at re-applying gold after 2 years if you want to keep the gold looking its best..

Kudos on your colour selection.. The Black on Saddle is AMAZING!!
My Parts Manager tells me that the Quality Control for the Gold Plated items is Higher when supplied by the Factory, as opposed to having it done On Site. But you're exactly right, the Salt Spray needs to get washed off after every drive , so it can't begin to eat away at the protective envelope of whatever kind of wax that is applied over the top surface of it. I plan on keeping the Z-7 pretty handy after washing the surfaces, and keeping a regular coating of Z-2 on their surfaces as an added layer of protection.

Car Washes that mix some "Cleaners" in their Wash Suds, like Hydrochloric Acid, can be pretty brutal to those Gold Trim items as well, not to mention the abrasive nature of even the "Soft Brush" ones.

Not Good!

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-20-01 at 07:47 PM.