Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather wipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 11:52 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather wipes

I used to use the Meguiars leather wipes in my BMW - has anyone used them in IS?? How do they work on this leather? Any other suggestions on product?
Old 03-15-06, 12:16 PM
deuce2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jimmer350
I used to use the Meguiars leather wipes in my BMW - has anyone used them in IS?? How do they work on this leather? Any other suggestions on product?
I use the new Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Interior Wipes..it can be used on leather, plastics, stereo..just about everything on the interior..sort of like an all in one wipe...it doesn't leave that shiny greasy look like armor all does on the plastics..something i didn't want...i like to leave one in my trunk for those quick wipes when something gets dirty or in case some idiot spills something.

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/new...cfm?SKU=G13600
Old 03-15-06, 12:17 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

good question... im still trying to figure out whats best to use, my leather is already showing some marks on it.
Old 03-15-06, 12:36 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

yeah i have sterling and i looked this morning and after 1 week its a little dirty on the corners...oh why didn't i get black!!
Old 03-15-06, 12:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

hmmm....im not sold on these wipes yet. I like doing it the old fashioned way when it comes to mu leather. But for other areas I use Lexol Vinyl cleaner conditioner on my dashboard.
Old 03-15-06, 12:51 PM
Langdell
Driver

I recommend caution. I used Meguiar's wipes on my IS (black interior) the day after getting her home 3 1/2 weeks ago, and they left major streaking everywhere! It is still highly visible, and I'm in the process of trying to fix it by going back over every square millimeter of the leather with fresh wipes and toweling off excess liquid as I go. The jury is still out on whether this works--I did a couple of small areas this morning to let them set and see if it removes the streaking. (As of lunchtime, it looked like those areas were better than before, but not fully fixed.)

So far, this experience has left me skeptical of Meguiar's wipes. And I will be really angry if they have left my brand new car with a permanently streaky interior. I have used Armor All leather wipes in a previous car with black interior without this problem. (With the Armor All, I seem to recall there was slight streaking when first applied, but it faded away within hours.)

As a side note, you will almost have to use some kind of wipe on perforated leather surfaces if you have the interior with that option (as I do). Traditional leather conditioner will obviously clog those little holes.
Old 03-15-06, 01:28 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine left streaks too. I THINK I got most of them off by reapplying the wipes and then using a dry towel to wipe the excess off. Most of the streaks are gone now.... Anyone know of a better brand that makes these leather wipes that doesn't streak...?
Old 03-15-06, 05:07 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

F*** those Meguirs Leather Wipes!!! I tried them on my LS400 with black interior and it was the last step as I was getting done detailing my car. It was getting dark out and I started using them it seemed to really bring the deep black color back. I did the whole interior. Looked pretty good when I was done, but it was dark outside also. So the next day in the sunlight it looked like crap. It was streaked and I wiped the interior back down with clean towels but then I had someone sit in my car a couple days later with a suede coat on. Bad idea, it kinda discolored the leather for some reason. So I went back over it with the Meguirs Gold Class cleaner & conditioner and it removed streaks and cleaned it up good. So my vote for wipes is but the regular stuff . For the last 2 years I have been using Zaino's seperate leather cleaner and conditioner and works awesome!
Old 03-15-06, 09:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

wow...thats horrible...i knew I couldnt trust those wipes.
Old 03-16-06, 04:51 AM
jfelbab

I'm a fan of many of Meguiar's products but I have to tell you that I don't like these wipes at all. I think they are too oily and don't seem to leave the leather clean and moist feeling when finished. It leaves the leather too slippery for my tastes as well. I've used a lot of leather products and one of my favorites is the separate cleaner and conditioner sold by Lexus.
Old 03-16-06, 06:01 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto that on my experience with them. I was given some as a gift and tried them. I don't know what they were thinking when they engineered them, but they need to go back to the drawing board.

Not their best product IMO.