Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 02:25 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Interior cleaner

I can't seem to find a good thread on interior cleaner so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Hate the super shinny Armor All crap and not quite sure what to use on my '15 GS350. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-18, 04:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for day-to-day cleaning of everything. Cleans with no gloss and UV protection to boot. Quarterly, on the leather, I use Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner diluted 50/50 with hot water for cleaning and their Leather Protection Cream for protection. The LM Leather Cleaner works equally well on vinyl and NuLuxe too. The QID works on everything including leather, vinyl, gauges and navigation screen.
Old 06-30-18, 12:47 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for day-to-day cleaning of everything. Cleans with no gloss and UV protection to boot. Quarterly, on the leather, I use Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner diluted 50/50 with hot water for cleaning and their Leather Protection Cream for protection. The LM Leather Cleaner works equally well on vinyl and NuLuxe too. The QID works on everything including leather, vinyl, gauges and navigation screen.
+1 The Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer also does not leave a slick oily residue like other cleaners might, and no over-powering odor. I only found it recently and I've since tossed all my other interior cleaners (other than Lexol).
Old 06-30-18, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I used to use Meguiars QID, but recently started using this product from Blackfire which is similar but much better:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-i...r-cleaner.html
Old 07-03-18, 08:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I use Aerospace 303 but it is more of a protectant then a cleaner. To clean my interior I normally just use what the manufacturer recommends, Woolite and water mixture.
Old 07-03-18, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They only recommend oolite/water on the leather. Although, I would and did for years use it on everything.

Doesn't translate between gloss surfaces and not though, the Blackfire product (and Megs QID) can be used on all.
Old 07-04-18, 06:00 PM
rodandwhee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, You can try Nexzett Plastic Deep Cleaner A concentrated deep cleaner that removes grime buildup from interior trim such as the dashboard, steering wheel, shift ****, arm rests and pedals without harsh chemicals. Removes rubber scuff marks. Revives color and leaves an anti-static finish. Biodegradable and silicone-free. This company use it its awesome: https://www.rsautospa.ca
Old 07-05-18, 10:23 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with SW17LS that woolite is the best to use! I've been using it for years with great results.
Old 07-05-18, 01:59 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My $0.02

Just a FYI. Woolite is no longer the same product that used to be marketed specifically to launder woolen items. As the popularity of woolen items declined over the years, it has morphed into a general laundry detergent to stay relevant. If you want a dedicated wool wash product, google it. Here is one link to some wool wash reviews. https://www.yookiwool.com/blogs/yook...a-eucalan-soak

Lexus does not specify Woolite, rather it suggests a 5% solution of a wool detergent to use on real leather and a 1% solution of a general liquid detergent for use on faux leather. Just because Woolite has the word wool in it does not necessarily make it a great wool detergent. I've spoken with several people who deal professionally with wool products daily and they won't use Woolite. Today Woolite only makes three laundry products, none of which are advertised to work specifically on wool. Check it out on their website. Not saying it won't work but it is nothing I would recommend. In my own testing of Woolite, a 5% solution does not work very well. It doesn't generate much foam at all so you are then getting the leather overly wet and the cleaning strength of this 5% mix hardly cleans any better than plain water.

Finally, I usually like to use products designed specifically for the material(s) I plan to work on. In this case I prefer to use a dedicated leather cleaner for my leather products. I'm not looking for fragrances or fiber shrinkage additives, etc. The only real hazard I see that could be a problem is with the stitching if the detergent is not completely removed. High quality dedicated leather cleaners are not much more expensive than using a laundry detergent like Woolite and IME they work a lot better.

When using any detergent on your leather, it is a good idea to use a wrung out cotton towel to wipe up any remaining detergent paying special attention to the stitching. Also try to not get the leather overly wet. That's why a high foaming product is a better choice.

Most leather professionals recommend the CHAT method for cleaning leather items.
C - Cleaner. as in the detergent mixture
H - Heat. moderately hot cleaners work markedly better and faster
A - Agitation. gentle but brisk agitation to loosen up soiling
T - Time. as in dwell time. This is again where a high foaming mix work better. The foam can be left on the leather for a longer time to allow the cleaner to work without overly wetting the leather.

I suggest that what ever cleaner you use after you apply and agitate an area, that you wipe up the residue with a white cotton towel so you can inspect to see if any soiling has been removed.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-05-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats really good advice. I moved on from using Woolite years ago, but never would have occurred to me to think about that...
Old 07-05-18, 02:47 PM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Griot's Garage interior cleaner is great. No dyes, no perfumes, no shiny or oily after affect. Works great on all surfaces including leather. I clean my interior with it then move to Aerospace 303 UV protectant for the dash and other trim. I also use Meguir's gold class leather cleaner + conditioner spray. Those are the only 3 products I use on the interior and they have treated me well so far.
Old 07-06-18, 06:47 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Griot's Interior cleaner.
Old 07-18-18, 12:00 PM
63surf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice for removing some slight staining on the headliner?
Old 07-19-18, 03:35 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by 63surf
Any advice for removing some slight staining on the headliner?
Folex works for the headliner. Available at Home Depot, Target, Walmart and grocery stores. Spray than wait a minute, than agitate with a toothbrush, than absorb by pressing with paper towels. This also works great on carpet.
The following users liked this post:
63surf (07-20-18)
Old 07-19-18, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would also recommend Folex for the headliner or carpet. Anything cloth
The following users liked this post:
63surf (07-20-18)

Quick Reply: Interior cleaner