Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The perfect body

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 12:13 PM
Tony Brady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, what is the best wax/polish to shine and protect bodywork. Currently use autoglym on my IS200 but it leaves way too much white residue, however the shine is pretty good. Any good ideas with contact info as I am in UK would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Tony Brady
Old 07-22-01, 01:47 PM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

Tony: Look on your web for a site called Toughguard.com This is the best, longest lasting, product on the market. It has a no-wax two year guarantee for used cars and a no-wax five year guarantee for new cars. My 96 LS400 looks showroom new after five years of Florida sun and salt. No wax will hold up to, last as long, or look better. I'm recommending this product to anyone who'll listen because it's like nothing I've ever found.
Old 07-22-01, 04:08 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

MC3's comments are interesting, esp considering most of this forum seems to consist of Zaino followers. 5 years is a very long time for any chemical coating. I'll stick with Zaino, but Palm Beach is obviously a torture test for wax/coating/polymers/cloaking devices.:eek:
Old 07-22-01, 04:23 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i were u, I would go w/ Meguiars Gold Class wax,wash,etc. The only clenin products i use is Meguiars Gold Class Products.
Old 07-22-01, 05:34 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I've been using Meguiars Gold Glass for the last year. I just literally switched to Zaino like last night.

I'll see which one is the better one, just need to give Zaino some time .
Old 07-22-01, 06:02 PM
pat5000
Driver School Candidate

Default Wax/Polish

I use Liquid Glass now after years of using all the others. It is similar to Zaino, in that, it is a "synthetic wax". I haven't found anything that makes my paint feel this smooth. It seems to last longer than carnuba waxes. You can get it at just about any auto parts and I like this part because I hate having to mail order wax.
Old 07-22-01, 07:15 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by michaelcorbett3
Tony: Look on your web for a site called Toughguard.com This is the best, longest lasting, product on the market. It has a no-wax two year guarantee for used cars and a no-wax five year guarantee for new cars. My 96 LS400 looks showroom new after five years of Florida sun and salt. No wax will hold up to, last as long, or look better. I'm recommending this product to anyone who'll listen because it's like nothing I've ever found.
Sounds intriquing, but $100 is a lot for wax. They guarantee it for 2 years but don't say what they guarantee. They don't say money back or what they will do if you aren't satisfied.

No offense michaelcorbett3, but I'm not feeling confident enough to risk the $$.

Anyone else use this stuff?
Old 07-23-01, 08:25 AM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

I find it interesting, and somewhat predictable, that my post regarding ToughGuard met with sceptical responses before doing what I suggested, which is check out the product and claims at toughguard.com I also find it interesting that no one who is "sticking with their product" has actually compared the Zaino's, McGuires and Toughguard as I have. I have empirical evidence, but what difference does that make? Evidently not much. Not for nothing, but the service manager at my Lexus store told me today I had the best looking non-new Lexus he's ever seen.
Old 07-23-01, 08:33 AM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

I just re-read my reply, above and it sounds a bit snippy to me. My apologies, please. It's just that anyone who's really interested can call the people at Toughguard and ask all the pertinent questions and get straight answers. If you read some of the testomonials or talk to some of the people who've used it, nothing will keep you from buying it. That's my last word on this sucker, I promise.
Old 07-23-01, 09:37 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by michaelcorbett3
I find it interesting, and somewhat predictable, that my post regarding ToughGuard met with sceptical responses before doing what I suggested, which is check out the product and claims at toughguard.com ..
Actually, if you re-read my response I did spend a significant amount of time on the toughguard web site. But I've been to lots of web sites and read lots of things. Some of which I believe more than others. I'm looking for more input before I plunk down $100.
Old 07-23-01, 12:45 PM
Tony Brady
Driver School Candidate

Angry Tony Brady

Hey guys, lets keep this calm and happy, we are all fans of Lexus and want the best for our wheels we all have different opinions.Thank you all for your replies, they are all of great help and I will be trying the 3 main responces in order of which is easy to get hold of.

Cheers
Tony
Old 07-23-01, 04:26 PM
dgangi

Question Toughguard

Wow...I'm definitely interested in finding any other testimonials from you Club Lexus members. I live in Arizona and frequent car waxing REALLY SUCKS in the summer -- too damn hot. And to make matters worse, the sun literally cooks the wax off the car in 4-6 weeks. I have been dying to find anything that really lasts longer, but everything I have seen so far has been a scam.

Anybody else besides MC3 use this stuff? Yea, there are testimonials on the Toughguard web site but I never trust those things because you never know if they are real.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-24-01, 02:34 PM
bmm89
Driver School Candidate

dgangi, you should def. look into zaino,
i apply it all the time in FULL sunlight on 90+ drgree days.
No waiting for it to dry, i just apply and take off.
Takes no longer than 20 min. on a gs(both on and off), and that's lots of paint. Of course this is after the initall application of clay/z-1/z-2...
Old 07-25-01, 10:51 AM
dgangi

Default Zaino

Thanks bmm89. I am already looking into the Zaino line of products and like what I see...except for the longevity. I was just hoping to find a product that lasts a long time (like >6 mo's). Yeah, I might be a little unrealistic but that's why I was so intrigued by the claims of ToughGuard.

Thx...Doug
Old 08-04-01, 03:55 PM
rd8a
Driver School Candidate

Question toughguard

Just checked out their site and it does sound enticing. Apart from the price, however, what worries me is potential long term effects on the paint. You know, like Slick 50 is supposed to work great until it starts to break down and leave deposits. Being that I'm not exactly a chemistry Einstein, is there a chance of this happening?