Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What should I do first to maintain the shine on my new black ls430

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 03:21 PM
romy101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do first to maintain the shine on my new black ls430

I just got it tinted today but it rained cats and dogs today and the car is dirty as ever. Now I am wondering if black was such a good choice. It looks hot when it is clean though. Anyways I need an experts opinion on what to do to keep it optimal. I am parking outdoors all day and all night when home. Start with the basics. Do I get a simple wax job to start. Does the wax resist dirt? Do I clay bar the car? What does that do anyway? I need help to get started.
Old 06-01-05, 06:35 PM
4theboys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a California Duster to help keep up with the dust. Good coat of wax will help. I like Zaino but there are other good waxes to use just personal preference. Clay bar will take off the imperfections on the paint. Black looks great when clean but is tough to keep on top of since it shows everything. Best thing to do is watch out for spider webbing in your paint so use micro-fiber towels.
Old 06-01-05, 07:49 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Wax, wax and more wax.

Black paint looks elegants and stunning when it is just wax detailed but unfortunatley black is a detailers nightmare. As a part time professional car detailer I charge extra to detail black cars. The smallest imperfection show up on a shiny clear coat black paint. Unfortunately Lexus paint seems to be pretty weak imo. I have a black LS430 and I'm always finding scratches on it mainly from carelessly wiping it down too hard when I use quick detailer/touch up sprays. Of course these are scratches that only I seem to see For starters you can use the "over the counter stuff" Use 3M swirl mark remover for dark cars to remove scratches. It work best with a variable speed polisher. If you've never used on I don't recommend trying it on your expensive car. You can easily pull off the paint!!!! Then 3M hand glaze for a showroom high polish. Then lock in the shine with any non cleaner Carnauba wax, preferably Mothers. 3M and Mothers have always been universally respected by professional detailers.
It seems like alot of work. I suggest just working on a section at a time a day. I probably average about 1 to 2 coats of wax per month. Once you have enough coats built up you'll notice your
paint will feel different and dust will just slide off. Your paint becomes flexible and less prone to scratching and chipping. If you can't wax as often as I do, I highy suggest using Eagle one wax as you dry. It is a spray on wax that is applied while the car is wet from rinsing. Truly amazing stuff for lazy people. I use it to build up even more coats of wax.
If you use the California duster be very careful not to put any pressure down onto the paint. It will leave scratches. Same goes with drying when using special towels. STAY AWAY FROM DRYING BLADES/SQUEEGES. It will definately leave long fine scraches in your paint. Finally don't ever go to do it yourself car washes and use the cleaning brush on the paint!!! Or a drive thru wash with spinning brushes!!!
I don't know about you but I keep my car psychotically clean. I am pretty much a driving advertisement for detailing service. People can't believe how shiny I can get my car to look. Ive reeled in business without even trying just by driving down the street. Just compliments left and right!!