Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

can't remove window spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 07:04 PM
chewbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't remove window spots

I have some small "rain drop" like spots on the rear window on the passenger side and on
part of the passenger side rear window. I used windex 1st (no luck) and eventually even tried
zaino's window polish compound guaranteed to romove such "spots". No luck getting them off. Almost wonder if they are actually in the glass/plastic laminate?

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-30-05, 12:08 PM
mahroni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chewbone
I have some small "rain drop" like spots on the rear window on the passenger side and on
part of the passenger side rear window. I used windex 1st (no luck) and eventually even tried
zaino's window polish compound guaranteed to romove such "spots". No luck getting them off. Almost wonder if they are actually in the glass/plastic laminate?

Have you tried using Rubbing Compound? I had the same problem and the Rubbing Compound took care of it. I had to then use windex to clean up the Rubbing Compound. No Scratches of any kind... Just a clean spot free window.
Old 05-31-05, 12:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

try to use some white vinegar. just some, use a cotton cloth and rub on it
Old 05-31-05, 05:22 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Wenol metal polish with great success.
Old 06-01-05, 08:13 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

If all of the other suggestions on this thread do not work, use bronze wool. It will not scratch the glass and will not leave the steel particles as steel wool will do. I learned this many years ago when restoring cars. Do a Google look up for bronze wool. I purchase mine online from www.briwax.-online.com. Get the fine grade.
Old 06-04-05, 10:49 AM
chewbone
Driver School Candidate

I tried the white vinegar as a previous poster suggested, but no luck.

Thought I would give the zaino window glass polish a 2nd try and this time with a bit more
"elbow grease". Happy to report that all the spots are gone and the window is not scratched and in fact feels very smooth when i ran a clean towel over it at the end of the cleaning process.

If anyone else has this same problem obviously get a good window polish cleaner and apply
some firm pressure, it took several attempts over the same area.

Came out nice, like new. Many thanks to those that offered advice!
Old 06-04-05, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cool, too bad the vinegar didn't work

but at least it's all good now, good good
Old 06-07-05, 03:02 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy to hear that your problem was solved.
I use Invisible Glass which does an excellent job.

My question - has anyone heard of using chrome cleaner (polish?) to clean windows? A friend of mine said that he saw detailers using it on their show cars on a TV program (not an infomercial). Now he uses it and swears by it - NO streaks.
Old 06-07-05, 07:14 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's probably just hard water spots from car wash. Next time use products like C.L.R. (stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust.) It will dissolve the spots easily with no elbow grease. You can find it at Target and Walmart.
Old 06-29-05, 10:45 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

I had some trouble with water spots on my LS Glass the very first time I washed it.

The front looked fine becaseu I had already used Rain-x on it. The others looked bad and would not go away. I finally Rain-xed ALL the glass and now they all look incredible.
I think the silicone in the Rain-X filled in all the rough spots.

Regular Rain-X- not the RainX wax.

Keeps it from happening again, too.