Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

vinegar

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 06:46 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinegar

Does the vinegar mess up the paint??? im wondering because i have hard water spots on my black LS430. If it does, what is safer 2 use 4 removing water spots

Thanks
Mink92890
Old 05-23-04, 11:13 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mink, vinegar is a mild acetic acid, and when used for removing mineral deposits, is safe. It will strip wax however, and you certainly wouldn't want to let it sit on the paint indefinitely or in the sun etc., but like many other products, when used as directed ( wheel cleaners for instance-which often contain hydroflouric and phosphoric acids) , is completely safe. Just apply it with a clean sponge, allow to dwell a couple minutes (in the shade preferably so it doesn't dry out too fast) and then rinse thoroughly, then dry and re-wax. If the minerals haven't had time to cause the spotting to etch, they will be gone. If they have etched the paint, then you'll need abrasives to remove the etching. That's why you have to get them with the vinegar right away if you can.

Think of it this way;

Acid rain throughout the U.S. is (on average) about a 4.6-4.8 on the PH scale.That's slightly acidic in itself, about the same as pouring orange juice or coffee on your paint. Every time it rains, your paint is subjected to that. That's why wax and/or sealants are so necessary on a daily driven car. Vinegar has a PH of 3.0, so it's acidic for sure, but that's why it works on the trace mineral deposits, and as long as you wipe it on and rinse it after a few minutes, it won't hurt any more than rain itself.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 05-24-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:22 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Thanks, just wanted to make sure
Old 05-31-04, 11:14 AM
mrb627
Driver School Candidate

Talking Vinegar Wash

I decided to use the vinegar washing method on Saturday on my RX. And all I can say is WOW! I am amazed at what a great job it did. Here are the steps I used.

[1] Washed with Macguires wash gel.
[2] Sponged on straight vinegar with a clean terry cloth applicator disk. Not leaving it on any section of the vehicle more than 60 seconds before rinsing.
[3] Rinsed the entire vehicle down twice.
[4] Washed with Macguires wash gel, again.
[5] Dried.
[6] Applied one coat of a synthetic wax. and removed.
[7] Allowed vehicle to sit in the garage for two hours.
[8] Buffed with a clean microfiber towel.

Granted, this took a long time, but the end result justified the means. I am sold on using vinegar prior to waxing!

MRB
Old 05-31-04, 12:16 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mrb, thanks for the review. Hopefully this will give others confidence in the procedure, and quash some of the fears.

Good work!