VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Japanese Bippu Culture *101* VIP | YAKUZA

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 03:33 PM
KamiSpeed
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Japanese Bippu Culture *101* VIP | YAKUZA

If you’re in the Japanese car scene you’ve more than likely come across the term VIP or bippu with a general but somewhat vague understanding of its meaning. So where exactly does this term come from and how should you pronounce it?

Though clearly mimicking the English use of V.I.P. (Very Important Person) and having the same general sentiment of being special and important, the Japanese took the term and pronounced it “bippu.” So in most cases you should pronounce out the letters of VIP but when it comes to the Japanese car culture it’s bippu.

Read the rest on our Kamispeed Blog!!

Old 07-14-15, 03:52 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so why post up a pic of some scooter riding bosozoku's then?
Old 07-14-15, 04:00 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so i just read the paragraph at the link and you are somewhat close.

the bosozoku or bozo's as we call them here are only loosely affiliated with the yakuza. bozo's are like the bottom of the barrel guys if even on that payroll at all. chimpira may hire them to do some kid stuff or stuff they don't even want to do for the cheap payout or risk of it. i also don't think that yakuza would appreciate you comparing or mentionion bozo's to them. yakuza nowadays and for a few years are generally business men albeit shady business men in some instances. most business men that i know even some of the shady ones, don't want to draw negative attention to themselves so other than a set of weak offset 18's or 19's, 'legal' window tint is about the only mod you would see on their cars.

the japanese financial bubble contributed more to the rise of the vip scene than gangsta yakuza

the japanese jdm market was not where the german market was at that time and the ones who could afford $100k german cars did, but the ones who only had jdm cars were modding them to look and feel better than the german counterparts. 90's japan had a thing for german cars and anything from europe that was expensive.

most if not all of the people today in japan riding around with anything not legal on their car is either a very low level player or is only pretending and following the fashion from yakuza movies with the gangster looking black sedans etc... its just in the movies and of course as we americans know, what we see in the movies we try to immitate in real life

what you will occasionally see is a new model big bodied sedan (usually top of the line with top of the line package rear seat ammenities) with legal tint that is absolutely spotless and has some very pretty suit wearing guy driving other slightly older suit wearing guy around in the back. for me personally the tie they wear usually gives it away. they want to blend in as much as possible but the tie is either something that they just don't seem to be up to coporate fashion on or is something they want to intentionally be stand out ish for some reason.

Last edited by sojah; 07-14-15 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 04:21 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

oh and one last important note. a lof of the shops making these parts are very shady mafia types. they are taking advantage of the people who buy these products and are charging hundreds of dollars on some plastic items that cots pennies to make. some of these shops/companies are affiliated with criminal organizations and have been for a long time. i know of a big long time player that was one of the originals in the game and of some of their prior connections personally (long story that i'm not going to get into).

let me just say that i choose my parts and the compaines i buy from carefully since i don't want to support that life. although recently i had a bad experience with a new(er) company which didn't suprise me much.
Old 07-14-15, 04:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ very interesting info. i remember hearing something like this a long time ago, but it all subsided and as VIP was intertwined with stance/hellaflush and all this going mainstream in recent years.
Old 07-15-15, 10:40 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
^^^ very interesting info. i remember hearing something like this a long time ago, but it all subsided and as VIP was intertwined with stance/hellaflush and all this going mainstream in recent years.
Yes....the whole scene is going down the toilet.....
Old 12-01-15, 03:33 AM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
oh and one last important note. a lof of the shops making these parts are very shady mafia types. they are taking advantage of the people who buy these products and are charging hundreds of dollars on some plastic items that cots pennies to make. some of these shops/companies are affiliated with criminal organizations and have been for a long time. i know of a big long time player that was one of the originals in the game and of some of their prior connections personally (long story that i'm not going to get into).

let me just say that i choose my parts and the compaines i buy from carefully since i don't want to support that life. although recently i had a bad experience with a new(er) company which didn't suprise me much.
Hey, i'm in Okinawa too. I looked at your profile and actually know your car. I'm on Torii too. Aren't you the network system admin that drives the BMW Z4 also?

Everything you've said is very true. All of the VIP stuff here is just young kids, really.

Recently I was in Tokyo and went to one of the well known parking areas. I saw a Rolls Royce and a pink Lamborghini covered in LED strips and sporting a ridiculous body kit. The owners looked to only be mid twenties, if that. I assumed that they were Yakuza, but neither seemed to have tattoos. I didn't really know what to make of it.